Options

Who else could have played 'The Moment'?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
Forum Member
✭✭
Steven Moffat has said that they always wanted Billie to play the moment as she is a 'hero' of Doctor Who, but that they also had 'other options' if she declined the role.

So, who do you think they might have tried to play the role if Billie had said no? Rose was a good choice for a number of reasons: 'reunion' with 10, the Bad Wolf, her importance to the 9th Doctor, the face of the programme's revival....

But who would you guess they would have tried to play the role if Billie declined?

Comments

• Options
    Simon_Smith3Simon_Smith3 Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    Mark Strickson ;)

He lives in New Zealand so he could have kept Sylvester company on the flight over.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alex Kingston
  • Options
    CelticMythCelticMyth Posts: 3,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter Kay
  • Options
    ShevkShevk Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CSweeet7 wrote: »
    Steven Moffat has said that they always wanted Billie to play the moment as she is a 'hero' of Doctor Who, but that they also had 'other options' if she declined the role.

So, who do you think they might have tried to play the role if Billie had said no? Rose was a good choice for a number of reasons: 'reunion' with 10, the Bad Wolf, her importance to the 9th Doctor, the face of the programme's revival....

But who would you guess they would have tried to play the role if Billie declined?

Suranne Jones. I can imagine her having a similar rapport with Hurt.

Alex Kingston might have undermined her appearance as a vision in the previous episode.

I think Rose worked perfectly though. My 'fanon' interpretation is not that The Moment spontaneously developed a conscience, but the all seeing Bad Wolf planted one within it: "I create myself". In a roundabout way, she saves the Doctor and ends the Time War in more ways than depicted in The Parting of the Ways.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Carole Ann Ford.
  • Options
    FluxCapacitorFluxCapacitor Posts: 1,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel not having more than one past companion playing The Moment was a missed opportunity. Even if, when she first appeared, the moment had "glitched" or quickly morphed through different options (e.g. Susan, Donna, Captain Jack, Jamie etc) in some way before finally settling on Rose. It would have been a very simple way to please fans without affecting the plot in any way or needing any more explanation...
  • Options
    ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carole Ann Ford.

THIS IS THE CORRECT ANSWER.
    Catherine Tate would've been great too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I feel not having more than one past companion playing The Moment was a missed opportunity. Even if, when she first appeared, the moment had "glitched" or quickly morphed through different options (e.g. Susan, Donna, Captain Jack, Jamie etc) in some way before finally settling on Rose. It would have been a very simple way to please fans without affecting the plot in any way or needing any more explanation...

That would have been brilliant.
  • Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    I hear Matthew Waterhouse is available.
  • Options
    HappyTruckerHappyTrucker Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    I hear Matthew Waterhouse is available.

Get out. Get out now. Run for your life.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    For anyone whose seen Buffy, I'd really hoped that The Moment would be a bit like The First Evil... taking the form of the person most relevant in that particular moment (and it could have done so without contradicting any continuity whatsoever!)

If it needed to be funny, a scene with Catherine Tate. If it needed to get the Doctor emotional, a scene with Carole Ann Ford. If it needed to be foreboding then a scene with Rose as the Bad Wolf. Little lines could have been delivered from appropriate companions...it could have appeared as Jo Grant when it said to the Doctor that he'd left his TARDIS very far behind, before making a reference to how far Jo Grant has gone in her life as an explorer.

It really was a missed opportunity. Billie did an absolutely fantastic job and she was a thrill to watch, but that doesn't excuse the fact that The Moment could have been something so much more emotionally and dramatically poignant. We had 75 minutes to play with...there was more than enough room for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    For anyone whose seen Buffy, I'd really hoped that The Moment would be a bit like The First Evil... taking the form of the person most relevant in that particular moment (and it could have done so without contradicting any continuity whatsoever!)

If it needed to be funny, a scene with Catherine Tate. If it needed to get the Doctor emotional, a scene with Carole Ann Ford. If it needed to be foreboding then a scene with Rose as the Bad Wolf. Little lines could have been delivered from appropriate companions...it could have appeared as Jo Grant when it said to the Doctor that he'd left his TARDIS very far behind, before making a reference to how far Jo Grant has gone in her life as an explorer.

It really was a missed opportunity. Billie did an absolutely fantastic job and she was a thrill to watch, but that doesn't excuse the fact that The Moment could have been something so much more emotionally and dramatically poignant. We had 75 minutes to play with...there was more than enough room for it.

But isn't it sort of the same problem as why the Classic Doctors would look out of place if they had reprised their roles. Why would the moment choose to appear as aged versions of previous companions?
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    DiscoP wrote: »
    But isn't it sort of the same problem as why the Classic Doctors would look out of place if they had reprised their roles. Why would the moment choose to appear as aged versions of previous companions?

I would agree with that, until the point that they had Tom Baker appear as The Curator. At the end of the day it doesn't matter if he's playing The Doctor or not, it's just a nice 50th nod to see him - and the fans loved that scene!

Having an entity that isn't playing the companions themselves was the ultimate opportunity (minor technobabble aside) to bring more on board with many former companions returning to Earth who would have aged naturally anyway. It just seemed an opportunity missed is all - I'm not even a particular fan of Tom Baker as The Doctor, but thought that the scene with him was absolutely wonderful all the same.

I would consider in an opposing argument that maybe the story didn't warrant the faces of so many former companions, but on a story-oriented basis it also didn't warrant having The Moment take the face of a companion that The Doctor hadn't even met yet. Again, Billie pulled a blinder and did it wonderfully but it could have all been so much more than it was, I think :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    Ahmed Best
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would agree with that, until the point that they had Tom Baker appear as The Curator. At the end of the day it doesn't matter if he's playing The Doctor or not, it's just a nice 50th nod to see him - and the fans loved that scene!

Having an entity that isn't playing the companions themselves was the ultimate opportunity (minor technobabble aside) to bring more on board with many former companions returning to Earth who would have aged naturally anyway. It just seemed an opportunity missed is all - I'm not even a particular fan of Tom Baker as The Doctor, but thought that the scene with him was absolutely wonderful all the same.

I would consider in an opposing argument that maybe the story didn't warrant the faces of so many former companions, but on a story-oriented basis it also didn't warrant having The Moment take the face of a companion that The Doctor hadn't even met yet. Again, Billie pulled a blinder and did it wonderfully but it could have all been so much more than it was, I think :)

I loved that scene too. It's a toss up between Tom Baker or Peter Capaldi's eyebrows stealing the show as far as I'm concerned but it worked because Tom was the only one. The scene would have lost all impact if they had got all of the Doctors back one after another. It also worked because Tom wasn't reprising his role as the fourth Doctor as such.

If I had to pick one aged companion, then I would go for Susan but I don't think Carole Ann Ford has even acted in years has she?

Initially I thought that it was a wasted opportunity not to have Ian Chesterton appearing in a scene with Clara at the school but then I remembered the line in Sarah Jane Adventures about Ian and Barbara not having aged since the 1960's and I thought actually it's so much nicer to think of Ian and Barbara running around somewhere eternally youthful.
  • Options
    gingerfreakgingerfreak Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That would have been a great idea.

Why Jack?
  • Options
    Romola_Des_LoupRomola_Des_Loup Posts: 3,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Catherine Tate would have worked, she has associations of sadness and regret and lostness for the Doctor, as Rose has. Alex would have been great but viewers might have been suspicious of tricksiness which wasn't there and found it difficult to accept her as a manifestation of a consciousness that had just borrowed her appearance. Billie was the perfect choice really and she was brilliant in the part.
  • Options
    rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, purely because Rose has already had a comeback and we know she got a happy ending, it would've been nice to see Donna.

I still feel her ending was so unjust (possibly what makes her such a great over all companion) seeing her one more time being the Donna a lot of us changed our opinions on drastically, the brilliant, quick, funny and genuine character she played through her pepper series.

I like the idea of the flicking between companions, even as just a starting point, however unless they did some good usage of old footage to interlink old and new companions, having them all in the same sort of quality and color etc, it would have been blatantly missing out on Sarah Jane, so I'd rather have just had Rose as we got, or Donna I think rather than either bringing back a lot of companions but missing out such a key one or use of sub standard effects in order to include older ones in their"companion" era rather than now and aged.
  • Options
    The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shevk wrote: »
    My 'fanon' interpretation is not that The Moment spontaneously developed a conscience, but the all seeing Bad Wolf planted one within it: "I create myself". In a roundabout way, she saves the Doctor and ends the Time War in more ways than depicted in The Parting of the Ways.

.....Isn't that what actualy happened? :confused:
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it wasn't for unfortunate circumstances, I'd have thought it was tailor-made for sarah Jane.....
  • Options
    AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends how they wanted to play it. Tegan, Janet Fielding might have been interesting - she was often questioning the Doctor and what he was doing which might have worked. But I do think Rose/ Bad Wolf was the right option. The Doctor has often said she saved him from his own misery post Time War & the moment. So it makes sense she was the moment trying to stop him using it.
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Baker
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CSweeet7 wrote:
    Maybe a child of the Time War and as time changed within The Doctor, so did they, into someone The Doctor recognised.:confused:
  • Options
    Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    A Doctor-Donna Moment would have been excellent.
  • Options
    cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martine McCutcheon would have made a Perfect Moment.

In fact she did ;)