Options

Capaldi's accent

Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,309
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I remember a while back Moffatt was asked if Capaldi would keep his Scottish accent and he said he doesn't see why not but after rewatching the Christmas special Capaldi sounded a little English. Does anyone know for sure if he is keeping his accent?

Comments

• Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clearly using his normal accent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Sora2311 wrote: »
    I remember a while back Moffatt was asked if Capaldi would keep his Scottish accent and he said he doesn't see why not but after rewatching the Christmas special Capaldi sounded a little English. Does anyone know for sure if he is keeping his accent?

No he doesn't, he sounds Scottish!
  • Options
    doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    What is the problem? This isn't the first time we've had a Doctor with a Scots accent.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definately Scottish....sounded like his normal accent to me, most obvious with the way he says "...Crashing."

Happy with that, as think Capaldi has got a lovely voice. But might be Celtic bias there. ;-)
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    It's a light Scottish accent.
  • Options
    Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doormouse1 wrote: »
    What is the problem? This isn't the first time we've had a Doctor with a Scots accent.

No problem. Being Scottish myself I was really annoyed when David didn't use his accent so I'm really hoping Capaldi uses his.
  • Options
    SatmanagerSatmanager Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To this American, it all sounds the same to me anyway. :D
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Does The Doctor have a accent or does the TARDIS just choose how we hear him:D
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does The Doctor have a accent or does the TARDIS just choose how we hear him:D

:p:p

Well whether it was Capaldi or the TARDIS, I loved the way he pronounced "crashing" as Michael Eave already mentioned.
  • Options
    summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    I was really annoyed when David didn't use his accent

Me too... well not annoyed as such but I was disappointed.
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there was some discussion back in the day about the Tenth Doctor's accent being a reflection of Rose's. With Eleven having had a vision of Amy Pond just before he changed, a light Scottish accent for Twelve would be a nice tribute to her.

If it were a thick accent it would have been much more omnipresent, even on the word 'kidneys'.
  • Options
    summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    I think there was some discussion back in the day about the Tenth Doctor's accent being a reflection of Rose's. With Eleven having had a vision of Amy Pond just before he changed, a light Scottish accent for Twelve would be a nice tribute to her.

True - there is also a grey area over how much contol the doctor has over his regeneration so I like the idea that Amy's appearance subconsciously made him choose a Scottish voice.
  • Options
    JVDJVD Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    summer_ste wrote: »
    Me too... well not annoyed as such but I was disappointed.

But he did use it once in Tooth & Claw.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ah yes, and northerner Clara was the last person to speak to the War Doctor before he turned into Eccleston. As an idea, it has developed a consistency. Doesn't work all the way back, though.

McCoy: an aria from Madame Butterfly by Puccini, a romantic composer. [Passable fit]

C. Baker: not sure. Probably Mel...[Bad fit]

Davison: Adric / the Master [Passable fit]

Baker: Adric / Nyssa [Passable fit]

And so on...
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah yes, and northerner Clara was the last person to speak to the War Doctor before he turned into Eccleston. As an idea, it has developed a consistency. Doesn't work all the way back, though.

So what you're saying is that Jake Simmonds is going to return in the future to be Capaldis last character he meets (because clearly he's in the same universe as the timelords) and the next doctor will be Jimmy Nail?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    So what you're saying is that Jake Simmonds is going to return in the future to be Capaldis last character he meets (because clearly he's in the same universe as the timelords) and the next doctor will be Jimmy Nail?

Yes. This. Jimmy Nail as the Doctor, about time someone gave one of them Daleks a smack, pet.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JVD wrote: »
    But he did use it once in Tooth & Claw.

Worked fine too. Love a Scottish lilt....said the Welshman. :)

Considered the Rose/'London , Amy/Scottish idea, but hadn't thought of the Clara/Northern idea before. It's frivolous....and so I like it!
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No problem. Being Scottish myself I was really annoyed when David didn't use his accent so I'm really hoping Capaldi uses his.

I don't mind which accent he uses; as a good actor he should be able to use many (not at the same time of course ;-) )
    I must search for Capaldi as Balthazar.:)

Just listening to Hamlet .... :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYZHb2xo0OI
    for the accent there.
  • Options
    ThamwetThamwet Posts: 2,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If it were a thick accent it would have been much more omnipresent, even on the word 'kidneys'.

I like that. Perhaps other people and places can influence the regeneration.
  • Options
    lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This is quite funny, in another thread someone complained about his horrible Scottish accent:kitty:.

I actually agree with you, it was very light, certainly lighter than his real accent. However, in the 50th anniversary episode it was stronger. I assume he will keep his accent, but may tone it down a wee bit.
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    Relevant Daily Mirror article here.
    :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Dave-H wrote: »

I've read the article and it contradicts what Tennant himself said on several occasions. The accent he used on Dr Who, he first used in 'Casanova' (also an Andrew Davis production). At the auditions for Who he chose to use an English accent. No-one forced him to use it or not, it was just his choice and since A.D. already knew of the accent I would 'presume' that some discussion probably took place over it.
    Being English, I have no problem with the Scottish accent and Peter Capaldi is a fine actor. Karen Gillen's accent didn't bother me either.
  • Options
    Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tennant's English accent sounded perfect. Very natural. It did suit his Doctor.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it was very light, certainly lighter than his real accent. However, in the 50th anniversary episode it was stronger. I assume he will keep his accent, but may tone it down a wee bit.
    I spoke to someone today that has a similar accent tp Peter Capaldi and I noticed how some lighter accents can be quite calming in situations.
  • Options
    2Legit2Quit2Legit2Quit Posts: 4,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »

But some fans are disappointed at The Thick Of It star Capaldi’s apparent special treatment. Hannah McLeod tweeted: “If David Tennant had to play it in English, so does Peter Capaldi surely?”

I can't believe Moffat and the BBC haven't listened to Hannah McLeod. Unbelievable and arrogant! >:(

;-)