Options

Wiil smoking ever be allowed in pubs again?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
Forum Member
Do you think there will ever come a time when smoking will be allowed in pubs again?

And if it was allowed, do you think more people would start drinking again in pubs, or would the pub trade nosedive even further?

Comments

• Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,991
    Forum Member
    No, I think it will remain the same. And I hope it does.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's never going to be allowed when less than 20% of the population smoke with that percentage falling steadily year by year.
  • Options
    Mark SmithMark Smith Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope not. Pubs have been so much more pleasant since smoking was banned.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, and neither should it. For too long non smokers had to put up with breathing in all those noxious fumes.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    No, and that's a good thing. And I smoke.

(Although ever is a long time. Maybe everything happens in that time-frame?)
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    No. We've moved on and things are better now.
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Barring the apocalypse, no.
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    What pubs?
  • Options
    NeverEnoughNeverEnough Posts: 3,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope not. It's an unhealthy smelly habit that ruins the atmosphere for non-smokers, who are by far the majority.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Smoking will never be permitted in pubs in the UK again.

In fact, I think we may see even greater restrictions on smokers in future, with smoking bans in certain outdoor areas.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Smokers stink the place out. These days my town stinks of the smell of weed which is even worse.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think there will ever come a time when smoking will be allowed in pubs again?

And if it was allowed, do you think more people would start drinking again in pubs, or would the pub trade nosedive even further?

I struggle to understand why you think it might ever be? And the decline in pub trade can be put down to far more than smoking not being allowed. It's more like cheap competition from Supermarkets.
  • Options
    Dean LambertDean Lambert Posts: 1,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately I can't see smoking ever allowed in pubs again, however I can't understand why it was banned in the first place.

Before most pubs became 'open planned', most pubs had a smoking area or a non smoking area. Why can't that happen again?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately I can't see smoking ever allowed in pubs again, however I can't understand why it was banned in the first place.

Before most pubs became 'open planned', most pubs had a smoking area or a non smoking area. Why can't that happen again?

Because the fumes waft in between the areas?
  • Options
    WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I know of none.

(And smoking is bad for your health, btw. ;-) )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know of none.

Don't forget, he's talking about pre the smoking ban. There were loads of pubs like that pre the ban.
  • Options
    jacquelineannejacquelineanne Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    I struggle to understand why you think it might ever be? And the decline in pub trade can be put down to far more than smoking not being allowed. It's more like cheap competition from Supermarkets.

The pubs have always had cheap competition from supermarkets, but it was only once the smoking ban can in that they started to close in their droves along with bingo halls.
  • Options
    WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Don't forget, he's talking about pre the smoking ban. There were loads of pubs like that pre the ban.

LOL :D I hope you're not being serious. I understood that when some pubs had smoking and non-smoking areas it was before the ban. My point was that Dean had said "most pubs", yet I know of none. And I have been in many pubs. Before the ban.
  • Options
    lola_skyelola_skye Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope not. I prefer to eat my meal without smoke blowing my way. Plus I can take my children into the pub
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm disappointed that e-cigs have been mostly banned.

Not everywhere though.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/10747395/The-Great-British-Vape-off-debate.html
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt it. The number of people who smoke is in decline and so no point, really.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lola_skye wrote: »
    I hope not. I prefer to eat my meal without smoke blowing my way. Plus I can take my children into the pub

That's not what I would call a pub...a pub would have bar snacks, not meals and no children.
  • Options
    TankyTanky Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reason why pubs are going out of business is because of a couple of reasons; the rent on a pub property is ridiculously high(can be £50,000+ a year without including council tax), the cost of running is too high(electric, gas, paying to show football and etc.). Pubs that aren't free from the brewery, can only buy beer and drinks from the brewery that owns them, which cost more than being able to shop around for the same product and is often at a premium. The taxes of on alcohol is very high, meaning the pub only gets back a tiny amount, and you'll be lucky if it's profit. The spilling and waste of beer is costing pubs too, because you have to make back what was wasted.

here's some figures-
    http://www.british-pubs.com/campaigns
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know of none.

And so is alcohol, even more so. If peoples health is such a major concern perhaps we should ban pubs.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The smoking ban has had a big effect. There are now a lot of 'outside' areas everywhere, some damned posh with heaters and everything, where people smoke.

It's not the only reason, but a big one.

I think the ecig ban is spiteful and silly.

And I think that if the odd 'smokers' pub was allowed, they would do very well.