Options

Westlife 'When You're Looking Like That'-cracker of TUNE

zeebre12zeebre12 Posts: 1,167
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was out at a 21st last night and this song got played and everyone went mad...I forgot how much of a tune it was because I hadn't heard it in ages..I'm not a huge fan of Westlife,but I must give them credit and admit this is pop perfection I think..I don't think 1D will ever release such a great song, espically from a boy band, its great stuff..how did their record company not release this as a single?,it would have definitely went number 1?

Comments

• Options
    zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zeebre12 wrote: »
    I was out at a 21st last night and this song got played and everyone went mad...I forgot how much of a tune it was because I hadn't heard it in ages..I'm not a huge fan of Westlife,but I must give them credit and admit this is pop perfection I think..I don't think 1D will ever release such a great song, espically from a boy band, its great stuff..how did their record company not release this as a single?,it would have definitely went number 1?

Yes, I will NEVER understand why it wasn't released in the UK - I mean, it is one of the most popular songs of their career, they performed it on every tour. It would have been no. 1 for sure.

And yes, many can say what they want about Westlife, but they did manage to have few songs that 1D probably will never have - I think World Of Our Own and Flying Without Wings are definitely one of those songs.

And it pains me that they had other great tunes on the albums that general public never got to hear. I will post few of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVvECDcOf7M

(this was put aside in favor of Barlow's Lighthouse, seriously?! - co-written by Mark from Westlife

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqKbMhoqbP8

This one was also completely written by Westlife:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeiTUr4gg1A

And it is also tragic that they released the 1 single from the album which was the only cover from Where We Are album, it also had plenty of great songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eMP_esWPBU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1lQATDtfP8
  • Options
    musicjukebox123musicjukebox123 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always thought that song was great and really catchy by them. Just pure pop fun and agree probably would have done well as quite different from them.
  • Options
    Hogs HeadHogs Head Posts: 21,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for bringing this song back to my attention. I've had it on repeat for the last half hour or so... what a TUNE!!!!!!
  • Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do like When you're looking like that, the radio edit rather than the original album version. It was on SOOOOOOO many albums though (Coast to Coast, World of Our Own and Unbreakable) which is rather ridiculous.

I also think I Lay My Love On You from Coast to Coast was a missed opportunity - hugely popular abroad.

Have to disagree with zeze88 though - Imaginary Diva is one I always skip on World of Our Own (although I love several others - When You Come Around, Walk Away, Don't Say It's Too Late) because I think the production sounds dreadful!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do like When you're looking like that, the radio edit rather than the original album version. It was on SOOOOOOO many albums though (Coast to Coast, World of Our Own and Unbreakable) which is rather ridiculous.

Well, to be fair, Unbreakable was a greatest hits album so it is normal the song was on there. But I always did find it strange that they put that song again on their 3rd album - maybe because it wasn't a UK single they wanted to present a proper radio edit on the 3rd album . The edit is MUCH better anyway so I'm glad they put it.

I like Imaginary Diva even if the production isn't perfect, the melody is catchy and the lyrics aren't bad either.

I'm glad Westlife did get the chance to write songs even if that chance was very limited - at least they wrote a few tracks completely by themselves or with just 2-3 songwriters, unlike say 1D who always have 5-6 songwriters ahead of them and they still haven't written a song by themselves.
  • Options
    Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remembers the dreadful Bop Bop Baby and its video of them appearing as Medieval Knights or something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luner13 wrote: »
    Remembers the dreadful Bop Bop Baby and its video of them appearing as Medieval Knights or something.

I don't get all the hate for Bop Bop Baby - the song isn't brilliant, but it isn't that bad either. Sure, the chorus are dodgy but it is a catchy tune. I'd rather listen to that than boring Mandy or When You Tell Me You Love Me feat. Diana Ross.

Also, I really love Hey Whatever, I thought it would be a huge hit.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,992
    Forum Member
    I love Westlife's early work including WYLLT. World Of Our Own is also a great song IMO. They were ruined after they got turned into a tribute covers act.
  • Options
    Terry HesticlesTerry Hesticles Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    The only Westlife song I like and when I say like, I mean LOVE!
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I used to love this song when I was 12 and a big Westlife fan :D One of their best songs. They were at their prime when they released it. I think they started going downhill after 2004.
  • Options
    BenllechBenllech Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always liked Westlife, I can see people do like to mock then, but they were very successful in their time.

Favorite song is probably My Love.
  • Options
    coun3spicecoun3spice Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i always loved when you're looking like that, i must say it's one of my favorite and the best upbeat boybands song along with larger than life and it's gonna be me.

I also hoped it was released as a single, it is a sure number 1 song.

I ALSO AGREE THERE A SO MANY GREAT SONGS FROM WESTLIFE in their earlier albums, almost all were great, and so with their last ones, I LOVE BEAUTIFUL WORLD, I WILL REACH YOU, SHADOWS

HOPING FOR A WESTLIFE REUNION SOON, HOPE THE 2018 REUNION COMES TRUE :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it is so sad that their cover band reputation is overshadowing their great songs especially in their earlier years.

flying without wings will always be a classic as their signature song
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Yiz Lookin Loike Dat
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    You're all nuts. It sounds like a Max Martin/Backstreet Boys reject.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,992
    Forum Member
    coun3spice wrote: »
    it is so sad that their cover band reputation is overshadowing their great songs especially in their earlier years.

flying without wings will always be a classic as their signature song

Flying Without Wings is a classic but I've always preferred What Makes A Man and especially Swear It Again.
  • Options
    Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I adore this song, it is my favourite song of all time. The World Of Our Own album was a brilliant album back in 2001, some lovely pop songs. I love 'Why Do I Love You' from that album too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love this song when I was 12 and a big Westlife fan :D One of their best songs. They were at their prime when they released it. I think they started going downhill after 2004.

I agree with this completely. Right after Brian left Simon foolishly thought that swing album is a great idea - "if Robbie pulled it off, so can you". Well he was way off.

Then they released Face To Face that had 6 covers - You Raise Me Up was definitely the right choice for a single because that cover brought them back to life but was it really necessary to duet with Diana Ross on another cover When You Tell Me You Love Me. Releasing 2 covers was such a dumb move.

And right after that they released yet another themed cover album The Love Album - I'd rather see them take 1-2 years off to make an original album than this. It doesn't matter it had massive sales, they ruined their reputation.

Also a very dumb move was to do Buble's Home when it was still such a fresh song at the time - They weren't happy about Buble's cover Home either, but at least they were grateful that they persuaded Simon about movies theme album. Yes, Simon actually considered Westlife Go to the Movies album, I can only imagine the reaction if this had happened.

The thing is, if they had 3-4 covers on the album no one would have minded - the fact that they released so many covers as singles however was a huge issue.

And reading Shane's autobiography, it is very obvious they clashed and disagreed with Simon a lot about that but he always got his own way. The way he tricked them to release What About Now is unbelievable:

He called them to come his house and said that the album is going great, but that it still lacks a strong leading single. He then played them What About Now and actually said this: you are missing a song that is something like this.I'm going to tell a few of the writers to write something like that for you. We'll make it happen. BUT the album was nearly finished and Simon didn't find the song.

Shane wrote in the book: „The clock was ticking and Sonny from Simon's office called me for a big talk. He seemed to be subtly dropping hints that without the single, the label might not even release the album“. And since Shane was swimming in debts he couldn't afford another year off, he himself suggested that they cover What About Now and asked whether that would be the first single. Well surprise surprise, it was the lead single.

So that song was actually the last song on the album that they recorded.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zeze88 wrote: »
    [/B]

I agree with this completely. Right after Brian left Simon foolishly thought that swing album is a great idea - "if Robbie pulled it off, so can you". Well he was way off.

Then they released Face To Face that had 6 covers - You Raise Me Up was definitely the right choice for a single because that cover brought them back to life but was it really necessary to duet with Diana Ross on another cover When You Tell Me You Love Me. Releasing 2 covers was such a dumb move.

And right after that they released yet another themed cover album The Love Album - I'd rather see them take 1-2 years off to make an original album than this. It doesn't matter it had massive sales, they ruined their reputation.

Also a very dumb move was to do Buble's Home when it was still such a fresh song at the time - They weren't happy about Buble's cover Home either, but at least they were grateful that they persuaded Simon about movies theme album. Yes, Simon actually considered Westlife Go to the Movies album, I can only imagine the reaction if this had happened.

The thing is, if they had 3-4 covers on the album no one would have minded - the fact that they released so many covers as singles however was a huge issue.

And reading Shane's autobiography, it is very obvious they clashed and disagreed with Simon a lot about that but he always got his own way. The way he tricked them to release What About Now is unbelievable:

He called them to come his house and said that the album is going great, but that it still lacks a strong leading single. He then played them What About Now and actually said this: you are missing a song that is something like this.I'm going to tell a few of the writers to write something like that for you. We'll make it happen. BUT the album was nearly finished and Simon didn't find the song.

Shane wrote in the book: „The clock was ticking and Sonny from Simon's office called me for a big talk. He seemed to be subtly dropping hints that without the single, the label might not even release the album“. And since Shane was swimming in debts he couldn't afford another year off, he himself suggested that they cover What About Now and asked whether that would be the first single. Well surprise surprise, it was the lead single.

So that song was actually the last song on the album that they recorded.

I actually wonder why Simon loved giving westlife cover songs! and what did Walsh do??
  • Options
    SparklySwedeSparklySwede Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a shame so many people see Westlife as a cover band, but that is down to their singles. Saying that, I also think before someone calls them a cover band they should actually look at their discography, but I digress.

Westlife had some very good album tracks, and I have a soft spot for When You're Looking Like That. I prefer their earlier material I think however. After the swing album (which I enjoyed..) they definitely went downhill, at least where singles were concerned. Saying that, I still enjoyed their Face to Face album which didn't have the best singles. Or rather, I don't think they should have released/covered When You Tell Me That You Love Me.

It's a shame how things turned out for them really. I don't know what their management were thinking because they were such a strong act* before someone (Simon!) decided they should just release covers. There was no need to mess with them when they had already proven they had a solid fanbase and consistently good chart runs with their singles and albums!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just for sharing, these are some of my favorite unreleased westlife songs

no no
    moments
    i don't wanna fight

close
    puzzle of my heart
    no place that far
    when you're looking like that
    i lay my love on you

evergreen
    to be loved
    why do i love you
    i wanna grow old with you

written in the stars
    how does it feel

shadows

beautiful world
    i will reach you

A LOT OF POTENTIAL SONGS which is by far worth releasing than the cover songs :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a shame so many people see Westlife as a cover band, but that is down to their singles. Saying that, I also think before someone calls them a cover band they should actually look at their discography, but I digress.

Westlife had some very good album tracks, and I have a soft spot for When You're Looking Like That. I prefer their earlier material I think however. After the swing album (which I enjoyed..) they definitely went downhill, at least where singles were concerned. Saying that, I still enjoyed their Face to Face album which didn't have the best singles. Or rather, I don't think they should have released/covered When You Tell Me That You Love Me.

It's a shame how things turned out for them really. I don't know what their management were thinking because they were such a strong act* before someone (Simon!) decided they should just release covers. There was no need to mess with them when they had already proven they had a solid fanbase and consistently good chart runs with their singles and albums!

I'm glad somebody also agrees. I just don't get it either why they were forced to release songs they didn't want to. Not just covers:
    1. they wanted to release co-written song by them called Closer instead of bland Safe,

2. they wanted a fresh song co-written by Mark Beautiful World but it was shut down at the last minute favor of Barlow's Lighthouse - a song that he didn't even write for them, it was sitting on the shelve for 3 years before it got to Westlife (he confirmed it on his website)... It is funny that Shane revealed in his book that Lighthouse was the only song they had ever released that Louis had absolutely hated - that right there proves Syco forced them.

They wanted to release 3-4 singles from last 2 albums but they only released 1. I mean, how crazy is that? To put an effort in 2 albums and then never promote it? Because that is what singles are, their purpose is to push the album. I truly believe those albums were the best ones they recorded after World Of Our Own album so it is such a shame they weren't rightfully treated. Beautiful Tonight would have been a great single:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvvNr5TP4vo

They really wanted to release Talk Me Down as a single but Simon again said no. That song is hauntingly beautiful, very different from Westlife and they could have just re-recorded the vocals so everyone would sing, not just Mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sYtj_nc9K8

Plus, Shane also revealed that they were pushing for I Will Reach You to be 2nd single from Gravity, but the label said there is no point in doing this because it would not effect the album sales.

Walsh was mentioned earlier... I think he was equally at fault that he didn't stand up to Simon, he relied too much on him. Sure, he did a lot of good for them in the early days but I think he did destroy them in the end giving them poor promo and tons of covers. What makes it even more sad, I read in Simon's biography that Walsh actually threatened Simon in 2007 he will take Westlife to another label but then he changed his mind - it would have been brilliant is he actually went through with his plan because maybe they wouldn't release Home and they would have the right promo for Where We Are and Gravity albums.

I always felt that this kind of mistreatment by Syco actually drove them to the decision to disband. Because Shane admitted they were thinking about disbanding during Where We Are tour even though they were over the moon when they got back and recorded the album - which makes sense considering they only promoted What about Now, the only cover on the album. I think they were just sick and tired of constant battling with Syco - I mean, they even left Syco at the end but it was way to late.

Plus, it actually makes me sick to see how Simon encourages 1D to write songs, something he never did with Westlife, he just shoved covers down their throats. Shane was surprised that Simon decided to put Bop Bop Baby as a single. I quote:

"Simon is very canny and I suspect he may have done it to teach us a lesson – so we wold learn which side our bread was buttered on and go singing the songs Steve Mac and the Swedes gave us, and stop bothering our pretty little heads about songwriting."

I'm not saying they are brilliant songwriters but I do think they are quite good, especially Mark. Shane has proven he is good only now with his debut album. Heck, even Nicky is writing the album. So they are all very eager to write, it is sad they never got a proper chance, just few songs here and there after World Of Our Own album that they contributed the most.
  • Options
    musicjukebox123musicjukebox123 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simon has a habit of going off onto the next thing especially if it's bigger. Five were his original boyband however when Westlife became instantly bigger all attention was put on them.
    Five members had it out with Simon and the team calling them out for paying Westlife a lot more attention and bookings and sensing the priority shift. This meant the promo for Five was also increased and they got their first UK#1 in late 99. This only happened as the band as you can imagine with some of their members stood up for themselves and the situation as they weren't going to play second best or treated lesser.

Five split in 2001 so this wasn't an issue anymore and Simon only had Westlife for many years however with Leona Lewis from X Factor taking up a lot of his time I should imagine 2006 onwards Westlife were pushed back and not front centre focus anymore.

Once One Direction came along late 2010 and instantly had a global audience that was it for Westlife and maybe they already sensed it from Syco and remembered what nearly happened to Five leading to leaving Syco in early 2011 and splitting up late 2011.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are right. Simon stopped caring the moment he decided to launch US X Factor, he was too busy.

And not just with Five of Westlife, Leona Lewis was also shoved, especially Shayne Ward - I think he didn't let the poor guy to release the album, I remember reading about that.

That is why I think Westlife were idiots for staying with Simon for so long, that plan in 2007 would have been the perfect time to leave. If/When they come back, I truly hope they sign to a different label, it is safe to say they will since they did leave him towards the end.

I think 1D have reached their peak so I presume they will face the same faith soon.
  • Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zeze88 wrote: »
    I don't get all the hate for Bop Bop Baby - the song isn't brilliant, but it isn't that bad either. Sure, the chorus are dodgy but it is a catchy tune. I'd rather listen to that than boring Mandy or When You Tell Me You Love Me feat. Diana Ross.

Also, I really love Hey Whatever, I thought it would be a huge hit.

The bridge in Bop Bop Baby is really good - love a good bridge!

I too think it's a shame Westlife are seen as a cover band as they didn't even do that many covers off of their first 3 albums. If you look down Unbreakable's track listings, only 4 out of the 19 tracks are covers (albeit terrible covers - who the hell pushed for Miss You Nights??)

I also love Love Takes Two off of Unbreakable - proper RnB style power ballad.