Assassins Creed : Unity

Comments

• deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    Can we make this the official AC Unity thread?

Read that article yesterday and agree with a lot of it but
    I don't understand why people are so concerned with the protagonist personality. My only concern is that the protagonist is a) an assassin b) is all about the creed.

Yes, I want an Assassin's Creed game. That's the premise Ubisoft sold me on and that's what I want to continue with. Initially, the purpose of the historical/political time periods was always to put the self contained story and mechanics in a new context each time. Now it's become the actual point of the game which doesn't sit well with me.
    I don't want pirates or other historical gimmicks, I don't want to see British versus Americans. The primary conflict should always be between the Assassins and the Templars.

...totally agree!!!

I think the protagonist is quite important to the enjoyability of the game. It can become a bit of a chore if you think the character you're playing is a bit of a nob.

With Connor it didn't help that you got to play as Haytham first who was in many peoples eyes a far better character.

I like historical time periods but I do agree that the Assassins / Templar conflict seems to have become a bit of a side story.

...and lets all agree that Connor was indeed, 'a bit of a nob'!!! God that game was such a chore to play through - I only completed it to get through them main story part!

I have played all the AC games which have featured Ezio, and he really seemed to click with the players - Connor just didn't have the same charisma.......

And lets PLEASE leave out anything to do with pirates - this is meant to be the Assassins Creed series - NOT Pirates of the Caribbean (I absolutely hated the 'pirate' stuff in AC3 and the reason I haven't touched any further AC games. Think they lost their way when they turned from being assassins to pirate assassins and battling other vessels on the oceans - what the hell was all that about....???:confused::confused::(
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deans6571 wrote: »
    ...totally agree!!!

...and lets all agree that Connor was indeed, 'a bit of a nob'!!! God that game was such a chore to play through - I only completed it to get through them main story part!

I have played all the AC games which have featured Ezio, and he really seemed to click with the players - Connor just didn't have the same charisma.......

And lets PLEASE leave out anything to do with pirates - this is meant to be the Assassins Creed series - NOT Pirates of the Caribbean (I absolutely hated the 'pirate' stuff in AC3 and the reason I haven't touched any further AC games. Think they lost their way when they turned from being assassins to pirate assassins and battling other vessels on the oceans - what the hell was all that about....???:confused::confused::(

This. THIS!!!

AC4 could have been an entirely different game altogether but Ubisoft were using the brand name to deceive old time AC fans into buying it. I really, really hope this is an AC game and not a French Revolution game with assassins in it.

Now that I've watched more videos of Unity I've come up with a list of things I like about it so far and a list of things I hope they tweak before release:

The good:

Excellent graphics
    Paris looks massive
    The world is lively
    The interior design is amazing
    Stealth seems less dictated by the game
    Love the new cover/crouching
    Assassin's garments are great, reminds me of Altair.
    I like that he's skinnier than the other Assassins - also reminds me of Altair.

The bad:

Yet another origin story. I want an Assassin born and bred like Altair
    Fighting looks like a left over from AC4
    Guards seem dumb and slow to react
    No French accent which I find insulting as a consumer
    All white male characters which I find offensive as a woman and person of colour

Overall I'm excited for the game.
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed Black Flag more than any other AC game (except Brotherhood). Loved the ship combat, the freedom to trundle about to different islands etc.
    I really do hope you can do pretty much everything solo (or have AI team) I don't like other people interfering with my single player experience!
  • seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This. THIS!!!

AC4 could have been an entirely different game altogether but Ubisoft were using the brand name to deceive old time AC fans into buying it. I really, really hope this is an AC game and not a French Revolution game with assassins in it.

Now that I've watched more videos of Unity I've come up with a list of things I like about it so far and a list of things I hope they tweak before release:

The good:

Excellent graphics
    Paris looks massive
    The world is lively
    The interior design is amazing
    Stealth seems less dictated by the game
    Love the new cover/crouching
    Assassin's garments are great, reminds me of Altair.
    I like that he's skinnier than the other Assassins - also reminds me of Altair.

The bad:

Yet another origin story. I want an Assassin born and bred like Altair
    Fighting looks like a left over from AC4
    Guards seem dumb and slow to react
    No French accent which I find insulting as a consumer
    All white male characters which I find offensive as a woman and person of colour

Overall I'm excited for the game.

So another game you think they should add a minority group in for the sake of it. Seems so much like your complaint about gta and the fact there were no women or gay protagonists.

your comment person of colour forgive me but is it not wrong to use the word colour to define a person's skin tone? I find it very offensive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seanf wrote: »
    So another game you think they should add a minority group in for the sake of it. Seems so much like your complaint about gta and the fact there were no women or gay protagonists.

your comment person of colour forgive me but is it not wrong to use the word colour to define a person's skin tone? I find it very offensive.

"Person of colour" is the term many people use; it's "coloured people" that's not PC. A grown adult should know that.

But you know what really angers me? The fact that you think that adding a PERSON OF COLOUR to a game that has 4 protagonists is done for the "sake of it" rather than because it's important to show that white males aren't the only people in the universe. As a PERSON OF COLOUR, I find that VERY offensive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Person of colour" is the term many people use; it's "coloured people" that's not PC. A grown adult should know that.

But you know what really angers me? The fact that you think that adding a PERSON OF COLOUR to a game that has 4 protagonists is done for the "sake of it" rather than because it's important to show that white males aren't the only people in the universe. As a PERSON OF COLOUR, I find that VERY offensive.

Right so it's a game centred around the French revolution, so to keep you happy ubi should stick in a few black people and keep you very happy may be a few black women, how many black people do you think there were in France during the revolution, and by that I meen free black people. ( slavery in france was not abolished until about 5 years after the revolution) so surely if they were to add black people and keep in with the game they would be slaves, is that what you want?

Oh and btw have you ever noticed how we all are of colour? I've never once been white

any way that's my lot I'm not getting into any race arguments over a games.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seanf wrote: »
    Right so it's a game centred around the French revolution, so to keep you happy ubi should stick in a few black people and keep you very happy may be a few black women, how many black people do you think there were in France during the revolution, and by that I meen free black people. so surely if they were to add black people and keep in with the game they would be slaves, is that what you want?

Oh and btw have you ever noticed how we all are of colour? I've never once been white

You're trying to apply realistic standards to a game that has a French born and raised person with an English accent. You're trying to apply realistic standards to an Arabic born and raised with an American accent.
    You're trying to apply realistic standards to a game that tells you a single assassin brought down the Borgia family.

You can accept magical glyphs, alien/ancient civilisation, an apple that can control the will of others but heaven forbid an ethnic minority during the French Revolution? Aaaaaaaah! Brain explosion!

'Assassin's Creed' twist history all the time in more absurd ways. I don't understand why this is the one that gets your back up. Oh, and who said anything about 'black'? I wouldn't mind any race.

May I refer you to this video? I think it refers to you. He makes a lot of good points:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u16sKK-1oLQ
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    I enjoyed Black Flag more than any other AC game (except Brotherhood). Loved the ship combat, the freedom to trundle about to different islands etc.
    I really do hope you can do pretty much everything solo (or have AI team) I don't like other people interfering with my single player experience!

Black flag was ok, but I can't think of it as an AC game I only ever think of it as a pirate game. I just hope unity is going to be more like the other games and allow us to recruit assassins again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Recruiting Assassins and sending them out on nefarious tasks was great fun. I wonder if this has been replaced by the 4 assassins thing. Hopefully there will be some sort of meta game thing (hired Assassins or like the Edward's fleet minigame). No tower defence though, that really spoiled Revelations for me.
    As to ethnicity of characters, doesn't matter to me really but we've had Aveline, Connor, Altair, Quartermaster bloke (didn't play freedom cry much and forgot his name!). Hardly a series without diversity.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're trying to apply realistic standards to a game that has a French born and raised person with an English accent. You're trying to apply realistic standards to an Arabic born and raised with an American accent.
    You're trying to apply realistic standards to a game that tells you a single assassin brought down the Borgia family.

You can accept magical glyphs, alien/ancient civilisation, an apple that can control the will of others but heaven forbid an ethnic minority during the French Revolution? Aaaaaaaah! Brain explosion!

'Assassin's Creed' twist history all the time in more absurd ways. I don't understand why this is the one that gets your back up. Oh, and who said anything about 'black'? I wouldn't mind any race.

May I refer you to this video? I think it refers to you. He makes a lot of good points:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u16sKK-1oLQ

Firstly I will say that I am a white skinned male not that I think for one instance that this makes any difference to this conversation.

I totally agree, Just consider Dr Who when written by Russell T Davies had the King of france played by a non white actor due to his policy of colour blind casting for the show.

Dd this take away from the episode or detract from that actors performance, in my opinion not at all.

I dont agree with putting someone into a role only because of their skin colour but I do thinlk that when it comes to this type of fantasy game (or anything else for that matter) then no one should care about the colour of skin, it should be about character and story.

Why cant a non white person (male of female) be the main character of this game?

I can live without the inspector cluzo style voice acting (not that the character sounds like that but you can understand why not to give the character a strong accent)

As we dont know that story or background of Arno nor the other three chracters so will reserve my view until I play the game but so far I would argue that there should have at least been some "variety" in the cast whether it be female or ethnic origin.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite AC games remain the two Italian Ezio ones. He was the most engaging character and the cities were the best areas for exploration. I have Black Flag but haven't played it so much. It seems like a pirate games with an AC logo on it. It's all well and good to have a pirate game and as someone who is interested in that area of history, I may well have bought it anyway. But the ship battles and the and the small island towns that lack big buildings etc. seem very un-assassin if that makes any sense.

I think Unity has the potential to be a real return to form. Another massive European City to explore, an interesting historical period and an event in the French Revolution that is ripe for all sorts of Templar and Assassin conspiracy and intrigue. I didn't bother with the American Revolution game though so I've probably missed out on a pile of important plot.

I totally agree with the criticism of the lack of diversity in these games though. It's an issue for the gaming world in general - protagonists of blockbuster games all seem to be straight, white men. I know that game companies will claim that this is their target audience etc. but surely they should seek to expand their horizons and their demographic appeal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    My favourite AC games remain the two Italian Ezio ones. He was the most engaging character and the cities were the best areas for exploration. I have Black Flag but haven't played it so much. It seems like a pirate games with an AC logo on it. It's all well and good to have a pirate game and as someone who is interested in that area of history, I may well have bought it anyway. But the ship battles and the and the small island towns that lack big buildings etc. seem very un-assassin if that makes any sense.

I think Unity has the potential to be a real return to form. Another massive European City to explore, an interesting historical period and an event in the French Revolution that is ripe for all sorts of Templar and Assassin conspiracy and intrigue. I didn't bother with the American Revolution game though so I've probably missed out on a pile of important plot.

I totally agree with the criticism of the lack of diversity in these games though. It's an issue for the gaming world in general - protagonists of blockbuster games all seem to be straight, white men. I know that game companies will claim that this is their target audience etc. but surely they should seek to expand their horizons and their demographic appeal.

You have not missed anything that a 5 min catch up video on youtube wouldnt sort out.
    Conner is a d*ck and the most interesting character in the game is one that you only play as for a few misssions.
    The end of the world plot is sorted out in an interesting"ish" way and you get to play as Desmond as a full on assassin in modern times for couple of missions.

Dont want to go into too much detail but overall the game was a big let down but still worth a play just to fill in your AC knowledge.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guess all the people wanting a woman/person of colour as an assassin in Unity didn't play Liberation, you know where you played as a black female assassin or Freedom Cry, you know where play as a Black male Assassin

What really annoys me is that in Unity there is clearly only one assassin involved in the story and the other three can help out if you invite them, so people don't want a strong female / person of colour that is integral to the story the just want a female for the sake of having a female, which in my opinion does a disservice to women
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    I'm guess all the people wanting a woman/person of colour as an assassin in Unity didn't play Liberation, you know where you played as a black female assassin or Freedom Cry, you know where play as a Black male Assassin

What really annoys me is that in Unity there is clearly only one assassin involved in the story and the other three can help out if you invite them, so people don't want a strong female / person of colour that is integral to the story the just want a female for the sake of having a female, which in my opinion does a disservice to women

Tokenism that's called. As I said earlier, it is more diverse than many game series.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I find your attitude very offensive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite AC games remain the two Italian Ezio ones. He was the most engaging character and the cities were the best areas for exploration. I have Black Flag but haven't played it so much. It seems like a pirate games with an AC logo on it. It's all well and good to have a pirate game and as someone who is interested in that area of history, I may well have bought it anyway. But the ship battles and the and the small island towns that lack big buildings etc. seem very un-assassin if that makes any sense..

This makes perfect sense.

It could go both ways. My fear is that Unity will be more AC3 than AC2. AC3 was pants so you saved your money.

Not only that but what makes them think that white males wouldn't mind playing as an ethnic minority?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no objection to playing any creed, colour or gender. I think criticising the AC franchise of being intolerant is a bit much though. Possibly one of the more divergent series. Can't think of too many Arabic, muslim leading characters - like Altair....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Here is the flaw with your argument: 'Freedom Cry' was a one-off DLC and 'Liberation' was on PS Vita. Ubisoft was so worried that white men wouldn't want to play as a black woman that they had to "test her out" on PSVita rather than the bigger platforms. Needless to say the game wasn't very good because no effort or love went into it and the world building was small in comparison to other instalments. These are what you would call "token" characters because they're not integral to the main game and most people won't buy the DLC. What we need is a person of colour or a woman in the main game. Connor was half Native American which is a good start but now Ubisoft need to go all the way and try to put a female protagonist in.
    I have no objection to playing any creed, colour or gender. I think criticising the AC franchise of being intolerant is a bit much though. Possibly one of the more divergent series. Can't think of too many Arabic, muslim leading characters - like Altair....

He had an American accent and you couldn't really see his face creating the illusion of the white man.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Altair Ibn-La'Ahad - Arabic
    Ezio Auditore da Firenze - Italian
    Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway) - Native American/English
    Aveline de Grandpré - French/African
    Edward James Kenway - Welsh
    Adéwalé - Trinidad

Where the hell do people get this idea that just because 3 out of 6 of the main characters are White males that there is a lack of diversity in these games

This is the most diverse series in the history of gaming allowing you to play as White, Black AND a Black Female character, but because the new game doesn't feature a minority people have started to attack it, the facts of the series are out there for people to look up or ignore as they see fit but ignorance will get us nowhere
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Altair Ibn-La'Ahad - Arabic (American accent, can't see his face)
    Ezio Auditore da Firenze - Italian (white)
    Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway) - Native American/English (half white so white males can relate to him somehow)
    Aveline de Grandpré - French/African (half white, DLC, much smaller platform)
    Edward James Kenway - Welsh (white)
    Adéwalé - Trinidad (One DLC Instalment)
    This is the most diverse series in the history of gaming allowing you to play as White, Black AND a Black Female character, but because the new game doesn't feature a minority people have started to attack it, the facts of the series are out there for people to look up or ignore as they see fit but ignorance will get us nowhere

Agree that it's more diverse than MOST video games but that's not saying much. One female character out of the countless instalments we've had is disgraceful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Know what? This is dull and irrelevant to the game. If you are upset, don't buy it or email ubisoft, start a petition on change.org.
    Back on topic. Unity looks superb as long as there is no tower defense and hopefully has a good mini/meta game.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree that it's more diverse than MOST video games but that's not saying much. One female character out of the countless instalments we've had is disgraceful.

Again i'll say what I said in my first post on the matter, having a female character just to have female character would do a disservice to females, there has to be a reason that the character is a female, it has to make sense as part of the story that Ubisoft is telling

Alls we have seen is that the main character is a male and that the drop in characters that have no bearing on the game are male, are you saying that despite the fact you have no idea of the story or how it plays out, you have the authority to say that a female lead could of worked
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Know what? This is dull and irrelevant to the game. If you are upset, don't buy it or email ubisoft, start a petition on change.org.
    Back on topic. Unity looks superb as long as there is no tower defense and hopefully has a good mini/meta game.

Could agree more, all /most of the people moaning about this and signing the petition on change.org or whatever will end up buying the game and loving the game, its just the complaining flavour of the week now that Farcry 4's cover is no longer an issue

People need to vote with their wallets, if this really offends you then don't buy a ubisoft game until one has a female lead, don't read news on ubisoft etc, they care about money not opinions

Unity looks great, i liked the side quests they showed off at the E3 demo, where you could add them to the quest log to do them later
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, it's dull and irrelevant to you. Take responsibility for how you feel. The ethnicity of the 4 protagonists is very much on topic and very important to the people it spits in the face of (i.e. non white males)
    Again i'll say what I said in my first post on the matter, having a female character just to have female character would do a disservice to females, there has to be a reason that the character is a female, it has to make sense as part of the story that Ubisoft is telling

Alls we have seen is that the main character is a male and that the drop in characters that have no bearing on the game are male, are you saying that despite the fact you have no idea of the story or how it plays out, you have the authority to say that a female lead could of worked

What does that even mean that a female character "won't work"? Ubisoft can make any character work if they put the effort in. Why is it that it's perfectly natural to have a male character but when it comes to a female we need a "reason"? Why is the white male the default and the female/POC the option, extra feature?

It's a flimsy excuse.

Geez, I feel like I travelled back in time to the 70s. Some seriously outdated views.
  • axe70axe70 Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    the large amount of female assassins in the games you
    think you would be able to play more than one.
    still thats one more than english.