What is the point of Israel attacking Gaza?

Comments

• MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    Yes, you do. And if it was the French, you would do that with the French, which was the whole point of my response to Paul's question.

I dont disagree - but you would also expect us to lob a few bombs back as well..
  • Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »
    I dont disagree - but you would also expect us to lob a few bombs back as well..

You only ever did that twice with Ireland, and have been in deep denial ever since. So, I would expect you to lob two bombs back and then deny they ever happened. Or invent a terrorist group and blame them instead. That's what you did with us.

Anyway, what's needed in the Middle East is not a re-run of NI and its troubles, nor an imaginary new war with France. What's needed is a political process which can replace the exchange of bombs with peaceful negotiations.
  • James_GrahamJames_Graham Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    Unknownst to yourself, you've painted quite a sad, pathetic picture of the Palestinian people. Living on handouts, brainwashed into thinking Israel is the root of all evil and its destruction will solve all their problems, increasingly obese and increasingly violent. That sounds like a people who have been infantilised, both by their own leaders and by forces outside their country.

I don't know what to say really, although you're certainly right that the wider Arab world and Iran are in many ways to blame. They seem more interested in using the Palestinians as some kind of pawns in their own game than lifting them out of the desparate state they're in.

I'm not hugely sympathetic as they have been afforded a way out on countless occasions. Bill Clinton still seethes when he recounts how much time and energy he invested in getting the 'palestinians' the best deal they were ever going to get, only to be slapped in the face at the last minute with Arafat walking away.

The 'palestinians' essentially are a political construct who're used as a weapon against Israel. I watched a video of a palestinian commentator describing them as the "spearheads of Islam" to fight against the non-believers. They seem to relish conflict and I think most people (even some of their supporters) are beginning to see they've backed the wrong horse.
    Forum Member

Who cares who was there first? They're both there now, and they need to live together in peace somehow.

I see. So if in 20 years time the residents of Birmingham who originated from Pakistan decided they want an independent Birmighamstan, you'll agree to their demands when they start blowing up your buses?
  • CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    starry wrote: »
    Many Israelis are brainwashed and have psychological issues. Those who recognise that and are able to will leave the place I expect.

There's a strong argument that the need many humans feel of looking down on others to make themselves feel better about their own position is a part of the human condition. We see the tabloids/politicians exploiting that desire all the time in Britain.

So funny :D
  • GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    You only ever did that twice with Ireland, and have been in deep denial ever since. So, I would expect you to lob two bombs back and then deny they ever happened. Or invent a terrorist group and blame them instead. That's what you did with us.

Anyway, what's needed in the Middle East is not a re-run of NI and its troubles, nor an imaginary new war with France. What's needed is a political process which can replace the exchange of bombs with peaceful negotiations.

Well said.
  • GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    If you seriously think that is analogous to the Israeli-Palestinain conflict, then I pity you.

Indeed. It's utterly breathtaking in the degree of its non-applicability, isn't it?
    Forum Member
    starry wrote: »
    Many Israelis are brainwashed and have psychological issues. Those who recognise that and are able to will leave the place I expect.

So brainwashed with psychological issues, yet they have more companies floating on the American stock exchange than the whole of Europe combined.

The most start-ups per capita than any other nation. One of the highest (if not the highest) rate of scientific papers produced per capita. Patents applied for in one year are more than the whole Arab world combined in their lifetime.

Consistently scoring high in the 'happiness' scale and Israelis have one of the highest life expectancies in the world (slightly higher than the UK)

More independent journalists than anywhere bar the USA.

40% of GDP is in the High tech sector.

Beautiful beaches, great food and sunshine.

Maybe it's you that needs to lie down on the couch :D
    Forum Member
    You seem to watch an awful lot of videos about Palestinians. Have you ever actually met one? Or even communicated with one over the internet?

Well I've met many purporting to be 'palestinian' - but since they are a political construct, their roots are in Arabia. They end up being Egyptian or Jordanian.

I conversed with one this morning in fact.

He's American-born whose family are Egyptian, but used to live in Egypt-controlled Gaza.

They now call themselves 'palestinians'.

I don't buy in to it, so don't recognise them. I've got no problem with Arabs in general, other than their penchant for religiously-inspired conflict against anyone non-Arab and Muslim.

The Arab Christians seem a decent bunch in general, so it proves it's not an 'Arab' thing so much as Islam blighting the region and humanity in general.
    Forum Member
    You've forgotten the most important thing - a lot of good, peace- loving people live there.

http://www.peacenow.org.il/eng/content/who-we-are

Thankfully after the left wing in Israel which held power, brought suicide bombers onto the streets of Israel with their outstretched hand to the Islamist 'palestinians' - many Israelis finally realised that you don't show weakness towards Islamists, because they thrive on it.

Peace talks are seen by them as Israel being 'defeated'

Hence why whenever there are peace talks, the terrorism increases.

They won't be making that mistake again.
    Forum Member
    If you seriously think that is analogous to the Israeli-Palestinain conflict, then I pity you.

It's precisely the same as people of a Pakistani background (replace Pakistani with 'Arab') moving to pastures new (Britain/Israel) and then creating a new identity (palestinians/Birminghamstanis) and then proceeding to wage a terrorist campaign for independence and demanding a slice of the land they have moved onto.

It's not a new concept, this is how Islamists operate all over the world.

What do they want in China? they want an independent Muslim state for the Uighur Muslims within China.

What are they fighting for in Thailand? why are they decapitating Buddhist monks? because they want an independent Muslim state cut from Thai land.

How about the Philippines (where thankfully the Filipino army has done a sterling job) where Muslims waged a campaign of terror for an independent Muslim state.

Or Russia. Chechnya and Dagestan.

How about Eritrea and Nigeria, where the same is happening. Muslims wanting an independent state cut out from other people's land?
    Forum Member
    And if anyone is still in doubt as to why Israel is "attacking Gaza" - This is a 2 hour period in the daily life of Israel

Imagine if this was London.

--

12:46 p.m. Code Red sirens sound in The Sdot Negev and Sha'ar Hanegev Regional Councils.

12:37 p.m. A rocket fired at the Merhavim region of the South sparked a brush fire. Firefighters are on the scene.

12:11 p.m. Rockets fired at Tel Aviv area landed in uninhabited region. No injuries or damage reported.

12:03 p.m. Rocket sirens sound in Ofakim.

12:00 p.m. Rocket sirens sound in Beersheba.

11:38 a.m. A wheat field in the Sha'ar Hanegev Regional Council caught fire as the result of a rocket. Two firefighting teams from the Sderot station are en route to the scene.

11: 35 a.m. Two rockets land in the Eshkol Regional Council area. No injuries or damage reported.

11:31 a.m. A Code red rocket alert siren sounds in the Greater Tel Aviv area. At least two audible explosions were heard following the alarm.

11:17 a.m. Code Red sirens sound in Sderot and in the Eshkol Regional Council.

10:54 a.m A Code Red siren sounds in Beersheba.

10:52 a.m. Three rockets land in open territory in Sde Boker in the Negev after Code Red sirens had earlier gone off in Dimona, Yeruham and Mitzpe Ramon.

10:35 a.m. A rocket fell in the courtyard of a home in the Netivot area of southern Israel on Thursday.
  • Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, for crying out loud - Palestinians are indigenous to that region, even though they may have been known under another name in times past.
    Forum Member
    Oh, for crying out loud - Palestinians are indigenous to that region, .

That region? sure. As 'Arabs' they are indigenous to the REGION.

They sure as hell are not indigenous to the land of Israel which is geographically outside of Arabia.

There is nothing historical that is 'palestinian'. No artefacts, no coins, clay pots - nothing. No Kings, no rulers other than an Egyptian called Arafat and now Abbas.
    Forum Member
    You seem a tad hysterical. Everybody knows that Palestinians/Arabs/Whatever you want to call them, are indigenous to the Middle East, including the regions which are now called Gaza, and the West Bank. They are also indigenous to the country now called Israel, which is why there are Israeli Arabs, ( or did you think the Israelis shipped them in?)

I thought you were an Israeli at first, which is why I was being polite to you. But now I'm hoping you're not an Israeli, because you're becoming too stupid to be polite back to.

You obviously don't possess the historical knowledge for this debate and can't come up with the simple evidence I have asked for.

You claim a people who no one had ever heard of until 66 years ago are indigenous, yet can't provide any proof of their existence.

Instead you have started to resort to insults.

I think we're done here since you can't back up your assertions and are clearly getting frustrated. All you've done is just repeat yourself trying to convince yourself more than anyone else it seems.
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    The real question, from a purely logical strategic point of view, is why is Hamas continuing utterly useless rocket attacks? Seriously, if I was a Hamas commander I'd want to sack our strategist. Their rockets never actually do anything to Israel bar disrupt their evenings. In return for the rockets, Israel unleashes its considerable might on top of them and kill tens of them every strike.

The "war" can only go one way eventually.
  • Danny XDanny X Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    So the people living there at the time of the creation of Israel - what do you view them as? Illegal residents to be ethnically cleansed? Of course you do!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would totally agree - but as we have been trying for over 60 years for a peaceful resolution I dont expect anything any time soon.
  • Danny XDanny X Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    The real question, from a purely logical strategic point of view, is why is Hamas continuing utterly useless rocket attacks? Seriously, if I was a Hamas commander I'd want to sack our strategist. Their rockets never actually do anything to Israel bar disrupt their evenings. In return for the rockets, Israel unleashes its considerable might on top of them and kill tens of them every strike.

This is a fair point, rocket attacks do very little damage and Israel subsequently bombs hundreds of Palestinians to their deaths. The reality is for the Palestinians is that whether they fight or not the brutalisation and land stealing goes on unabated - remember the West Bank has been controlled by the moderates Fatah for years and that is being ethnically cleansed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The attacks by Hamas are part of the wider geo-political conflict in the ME. Hamas need to reinforce their authority after their backers started to withdraw and provoking a conflict with Israel is about the only way they can drum up support.

Well if the 'aim' is to stop support leaking away then Hamas could achieve their primary objective.
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Majlis wrote: »
    The attacks by Hamas are part of the wider geo-political conflict in the ME. Hamas need to reinforce their authority after their backers started to withdraw and provoking a conflict with Israel is about the only way they can drum up support.

Well if the 'aim' is to stop support leaking away then Hamas could achieve their primary objective.

If Hamas keep poking a bear eventually it will start to go crazy and destroy everything. There won't be anything left to win if eventually Israel roll over the walls in their tanks and obliterate the place.
    Forum Member
    If Hamas keep poking a bear eventually it will start to go crazy and destroy everything. There won't be anything left to win if eventually Israel roll over the walls in their tanks and obliterate the place.

The 'palestinians' are lucky they have Israel as an enemy.

We all know what would have happened had it been Russia, China, the USA or most other nations.

No country would put up with relentless daily bombardments and millions of their citizens perpetually living in bomb shelters because some medieval Islamists in their little enclave keep firing rockets.
    Forum Member

You need to understand something. These rockets can and do kill.

In fact a 'palestinian' girl was killed by one just last week. It fell short of Israel and landed within Gaza. Of course Israel was blamed by them.

The smallest of these rockets has an 18kg warhead and packed with ball bearings.

The rockets being used by Hamas now are often Iranian or Syrian made rockets. Many of these are advanced, accurate and long range. They can be $10k to produce.

The reason Israelis are not dying in their hundreds is for 3 reasons.

1) Early warning radar system. This gives all residents in Israel a 15 second window to run for cover.

2) Bomb shelters. Every home has a 'safe' room. Apartment blocks have a bomb-proof shelter. Even some of the bus stops in the most affected areas have been doubled up as bomb shelters.

3) Iron Dome intercepts the rockets that are heading towards civilian areas.

As this bombardment continues, it's only a matter of time until someone gets killed before they can seek shelter.

These more advanced rockets would easily kill 20 people from a direct hit.
  • QofShebaQofSheba Posts: 43,330
    Forum Member
    magratx wrote: »
    What's the point of Gaza attacking Israel.

This isn’t about rockets from Gaza. It’s about Israel fighting to maintain its control over Palestinian lives, and more importantly, Palestinian land.

It’s about Israel feeling able to commit war crimes with complete impunity. It’s about the fact that Palestinian children are being killed at the rate of one every three days.

It’s about millions of Palestinians living under illegal occupation. It’s about the brutal siege on Gaza, and the third military assault on a trapped population in less than 6 years.

It’s about colonisation, and over 500,000 settlers. It’s about Israel’s systematic violations of international law and Palestinian human rights.
    Forum Member
    QofSheba wrote: »
    This isn’t about rockets from Gaza. It’s about Israel fighting to maintain its control over Palestinian lives, and more importantly, Palestinian land.

Israel vacated Gaza. Not a single Israeli now lives within Gaza.

That doesn't quite fit with the apologist post you just made on behalf of Hamas.