dentisty and jobseekers allowance

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    davidmcn wrote: »
    I expect the presumption is that if you have enough money not to qualify for means-tested benefits, then you'll be able to afford dental work.

Once you've given everything in your bank to your dentist, you'll then qualify for income-based JSA...

You get put on Contribution Based JSA for the first 6 months if you have paid enough National insurance. After that it is then assessed on an income based means. If you have paid enough N.I. and apply for JSA and have £0 coming in, £0 savings, £0 everything you will still get N.I. Contributions Based JSA first, or so I believe.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You get put on Contribution Based JSA for the first 6 months if you have paid enough National insurance. After that it is then assessed on an income based means. If you have paid enough N.I. and apply for JSA and have £0 coming in, £0 savings, £0 everything you will still get N.I. Contributions Based JSA first, or so I believe.

Yes, this is correct.

The assumption being somebody who has only just finished working will have some money put aside.