BBC 10 3.806 m
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bushmills wrote: »
    1.4m / 6.7%

Thanks Bushmills.

Good to see Cradle To Grace holding up. But putting The Apprentice on next Thursday opposite it is idiotic.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cestrian18 wrote: »
    I'm sad to say it as I really enjoyed Boy Meets Girl, and found it much better than cradle to grave but I don't think it's done enough for a recommissioned which saddens me, as it was a genuinely warm and gentle romantic comedy with the twist not played on as much as I thought it would be

Sadly it dropped every single week - though only a relatively small amount in the past three weeks (from just under a million to 800K) (and the repeats on Saturday were adding around 400K to this last time I saw any figures published).

Those who watched it mostly liked it ( I certainly did), but it did not set the world alight and worked better as a gentle love story than as a funny sit com (which most of the time it really wasn't).

The BBC could give it another chance if they really are not dominated by ratings (as they ought not to be). But that is not a certainty, and, as I said earlier, the casting of a trans actor in a trans role as a new East Enders character (atop the recent casting of a trans actress in a non trans role in Doctor Who) looks almost like a way to cancel this show without getting flak about non representation of a community.

In any case it has already done its job in normalising the subject. So normal that it did not get viewers tuning in to see a trans woman kissing a man and was judged on its merits as any show should be.

Which is fine by me and exactly what the trans community ought to want also.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    decent star for unforgotten, will be dented by the apprentice next week though...

Yes, that's the bad news for it, which could easily send Unforgotten into the 3/3.5m range, at which point it may be difficult for it to recover.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    decent star for unforgotten, will be dented by the apprentice next week though...
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Yes, that's the bad news for it, which could easily send Unforgotten into the 3/3.5m range, at which point it may be difficult for it to recover.

Hopefully just a one week blip. After that it faces WDYTYA are again. But what will Unforgotten face when WDYTYA ends?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly it dropped every single week - though only a relatively small amount in the past three weeks (from just under a million to 800K) (and the repeats on Saturday were adding around 400K to this last time I saw any figures published).

Those who watched it mostly liked it ( I certainly did), but it did not set the world alight and worked better as a gentle love story than as a funny sit com (which most of the time it really wasn't).

The BBC could give it another chance if they really are not dominated by ratings (as they ought not to be). But that is not a certainty, and, as I said earlier, the casting of a trans actor in a trans role as a new East Enders character (atop the recent casting of a trans actress in a non trans role in Doctor Who) looks almost like a way to cancel this show without getting flak about non representation of a community.

In any case it has already done its job in normalising the subject. So normal that it did not get viewers tuning in to see a trans woman kissing a man and was judged on its merits as any show should be.

Which is fine by me and exactly what the trans community ought to want also.

With budget cuts you're never sure how recommissions go on BBC2. Boy Meets Girl might get another series yet.
  • Options
    JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone know when Family Guy/American Dad will be premiering on ITV2?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    With budget cuts you're never sure how recommissions go on BBC2. Boy Meets Girl might get another series yet.

Yes, that could make a difference. But they will also have to fit a few of the bigger shows from BBC 3/4 on there as well, presumably, if these are going into a digital presence only.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    I am not sure there is a difference in the channels in this regard, they are both looking for returnable hits and will always look at anything that's successful with a view to whether they are returnable or not.
    BBC have given a 2nd series to Happy Valley which might be a mistake and for me the 2nd series of Broadchurch was unnecessary and detracted from the original.

Lets hope Unforgotten is better than ITVs last lot of Thursday dramas.
    ITV dramas on Autumn Thursdays have been woeful for two years. Unforgotten is a good one.

I was against series which told one story returning, then Life Of Duty 2 arrived and blew away the original.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, that could make a difference. But they will also have to fit a few of the bigger shows from BBC 3/4 on there as well, presumably, if these are going into a digital presence only.

Good news about Boy Meets Girl Jaycee!

Boy Meets Girl looks set to return for a second series on BBC Two.

The sitcom follows the blossoming relationship between 20-something Leo and Judy, an older, transgender woman.

Concluding its first series tonight, channel boss Kim Shillinglaw has told the Radio Times website that she is currently discussing a second series with writer Elliott Kerrigan and production company Tiger Aspect.

She said: "That living room where we saw Judy and her family was incredibly reassuringly familiar, but my God was it updated. Boy Meets Girl ventured into territory that classic sitcom had never been before in Britain.

"There's something about comedy that doesn't try too hard that feels authentic. Letting the audience find the comedy, rather than ramming it down their throat. Boy Meets Girl did that."

Leo is played by Harry Hepple, whilst transgender actor Rebecca Root plays Judy, a woman who has transitioned from male to female late in life.

Janine Duvitski, Nigel Betts and Denise Welch head up the rest of the cast as Judy's mother, and Leo's parents, respectively.

Shillinglaw explained: "We are actively talking to the team at Tiger Aspect and to Elliott about where Rebecca Root's character could go next. I would love to see it happen. Definitely.

"It's all about what's the next stage in her journey. Where does she go next? What are the next set of challenges for Judy? We are exploring that together."

Having been head of the channel for 18 months, Kim Shillinglaw also told the website of her joy to be scheduling relatively family-friendly, pre-10pm comedy such as Boy Meets Girl.

"One of the things I wanted to do when I became BBC Two controller was to get a bit more comedy to play at 9 or 9:30pm. 10pm is a lovely space to play comedy and always will be. But there's something wonderful about being able to play comedy a bit earlier in the schedule.

"The audience really loved the thing we loved about Boy Meets Girl. It's incredibly specific and yet really universal.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can we use that one when eastenders does poorly then the bbc3 repeat does well? :D

Not really a issue as that channel is going to be scrapped soon.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't agree with that. I think viewrs are not used to watching ITV on Tuesday. Why else would Lewis be under 4m even against NT? In 2013 it got over 6m against the BBC1 comedies. Even on Friday last year it was higher.

ITV have killed Tuesday's. Even IAC dips on Tuesday compared to Monday, then rises again on Wednesday.

If ITV put Midsomer of Tuesday instead of Wednesday, would it do as well? No unlikely.

The years of putting unatractive stuff on Tuesday for so long has stopped viewrs from really checking out ITV on Tuesday. Ratings each year in these slots have dropped to new lows. In 2012 we used to say 2.5-3m was low for ITV Tuesday, but now its dropped past 2m to 1.5m.

Well, yes, because ratings for everything have gone down, and ratings for nondescript factual have gone down at a faster rate than everything else because they're the programmes that suffer most when the casual audience has a million other options. Nondescript factual has flopped in every slot, because it's nondescript factual.

As mentioned I'm A Celebrity mostly wasn't on Tuesday, and when it was BBC1 was almost always stronger that night. The problem with ITV on Tuesday is not that viewers have turned off because it's Tuesday on ITV but because they haven't switched on because so many people have got in the habit of 'stEnders followed by Holby followed by another drama. It's a schedule that works for people and ensures BBC1 are at least consistent virtually every week of the year. The same was true on Wednesdays on ITV for many years when you had Corrie followed by The Bill and people stuck with that and BBC1 couldn't get a foothold.

Another reason why Lewis was down compared to previous years is because the competition from BBC1 was very old skewing, and Lewis itself skews old. It was tough competition because both appeal to the same audience. That was not the case when Lewis was up against Miranda or HIGNFY or whatever BBC1 were showing up against it.

The idea that viewers are actively avoiding Tuesdays on ITV is an odd one. Most viewers look what they want to watch and then watch it, regardless of the day or the channel. I haven't watched ITV on Tuesdays much if at all other than football, because I haven't been that interested in what they're showing. I thought Eternal Glory was an interesting idea so I watched it. That's surely how the vast majority of people watch television.
    Bruce Forsythe's fall and hospitalisation as he was about to film before an audience his (Christmas scheduled?) 'Hall of Fame' show with Catherine Tate and Alexander Armstrong seems to mean this will now be delayed to some time next year. Though he seems to have only suffered facial cuts and minor concussion thankfully.

No, they are still recording Hall of Fame, but Brucie won't be on it, Xander will be presenting it. To my mind that seems a bit stupid given that the whole point of it is that it's Brucie's show, and I don't know why they couldn't just reschedule it for when he's better, but someone on Twitter pointed out to me that Brucie is from the generation where the show must go on and he presumably doesn't want everyone else to have wasted their time. I hope they have Brucie on the phone on it, though. Such a shame, cos it's clearly a show he loves doing.

It won't affect the Christmas Strictly, that won't be recorded for weeks and weeks. Hope they mention him this week, though.
    Good to see Cradle To Grace holding up. But putting The Apprentice on next Thursday opposite it is idiotic.

But why? Yes, it's a big show, but they're totally different genres and appeal to totally different audiences. One's factual entertainment, one's a sitcom. What's the clash, people who like good programmes? You could argue Who Do You Think You Are has been tougher competition because they appeal to a more similiar audience. Besides, it's the final week so it doesn't matter, if the audience halves or something for some reason it's not going to scupper the rest of the run, it's finished.

Well, that does seem to be the case, but I really do think these days that it's often harder not to get a recommission for a BBC sitcom than get one. Shows like Watson and Oliver and Count Arthur Strong have been recommissioned with far lower audiences, and the former at least wasn't even a critical hit, let alone a commercial one. It's true budgets are tighter but as well as that the Beeb more than ever have to illustrate how distinctive they are.

Boy Meets Girl has done alright ratings wise, it's distinctive and the audience that has stuck with it seems to have liked it, and given the rubbish they have recommissioned I think it was a no brainer it'd be coming back if everyone was up for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good news about Boy Meets Girl Jaycee!

That does indeed look promising. Thanks for finding this update.

The East Enders trans actor (Riley Millington) playing Kyle will appear briefly later this month then return to the cast full time around Christmas.

Ironically, given that Corrie cast a non trans actress to play Hayley, the 21 year old actor who will join Enders is from Manchester and trained in Eccles, the name of the dog in Corrie, and where past OB supermarket scenes for Corrie have been filmed.

So East Enders have by chance well and truly got one over on their rivals here!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Boy Meets Girl has done alright ratings wise, it's distinctive and the audience that has stuck with it seems to have liked it, and given the rubbish they have recommissioned I think it was a no brainer it'd be coming back if everyone was up for it.

Looks like you are right given Cylon's post above. I think it stabilised over the last three weeks averaging at around 900,000 viewers plus whatever it got on the Saturday repeat. It was holding firm around 1.4 million for the middle of the run for both screenings and that was what Cradle to Grave got for its first screening this week. And that is sure to be renewed I would imagine.
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    ITV in good night shocker! :o

Very good rating for Unforgotten. I honestly thought it would be mid 3s so seeing it close to 5m is a nice surprise and much needed rating for ITV at the moment. For The Love of Dogs also returned well too. Add to the that a double dose of Emmerdale setting it up the night, that must be ITV's best Thursday in months. Shame The Apprentice could zap the momentum out of it pretty much immediately next week.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV in good night shocker! :o

Very good rating for Unforgotten. I honestly thought it would be mid 3s so seeing it close to 5m is a nice surprise and much needed rating for ITV at the moment. For The Love of Dogs also returned well too. Add to the that a double dose of Emmerdale setting it up the night, that must be ITV's best Thursday in months. Shame The Apprentice could zap the momentum out of it pretty much immediately next week.

Well hopefully the good responce to it should ensure it holds up over 4m. But it will certainly be tougher competition than on Wednesday which will be another <2m.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well hopefully the good responce to it should ensure it holds up over 4m. But it will certainly be tougher competition than on Wednesday which will be another <2m.

At least on Thursday Unforgotten will be mostly free from The Apprentice.
  • Options
    Minute Mart 1Minute Mart 1 Posts: 620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rob1985 wrote: »
    Yes and no. It was only 0.2m ahead of ED.

They are pretty much even stevens aren't they really. You have Corrie in first place with EE and ED fighting it out for the second spot with Doctors coming after that.
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do we know yet when Luther will be back I know it is 2 - 60 minute eps. Do we think it will air over two consecutive nights or over two weeks. Also I was wondering if the bbc were going to keep it for the week in between Christmas and New Year
  • Options
    RobRob Posts: 4,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything on Chris Tarrent's extreme railways? :) hope it did better than last week. One of the best shows C5 has in my view.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Channel 5 Programme Information: w/c 24th October

New and Returning:
    * MTV European Music Awards 2015 (New)
    * How the Other Half Live (New Series)
    * Britain’s Bloody Crown (New Series)
    * Disney's Peter Pan [1953] (Movie Highlight)
    * Blaze and the Monster Machines (New to milkshake!)
    * Bar Rescue Season 4 (New to Spike)

Source: C5 Press.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judge Rinder tells The Sun he is negotiating to do a US version of the show
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »
    Do we know yet when Luther will be back I know it is 2 - 60 minute eps. Do we think it will air over two consecutive nights or over two weeks. Also I was wondering if the bbc were going to keep it for the week in between Christmas and New Year

I love Luther but it isn't exactly festive! I was expecting it to turn up on Tuesdays after New Tricks but they've opted for River instead. I hope they don't throw it against I'm A Celebrity. Maybe it'll air across two Thursdays once WDYTYA is out of the way, although if Unforgotten holds up that'd be an interesting battle.
    ftv wrote: »
    Judge Rinder tells The Sun he is negotiating to do a US version of the show

Seems a bit pointless given that his show is based on Judge Judy in the US. It seems he won't have much time to do his actual job as a barrister any more! I noticed his ratings are going up again. A 16.5% share up against 13% for Decimate on Wednesday, essentially a reversal of last week. Seems that like the quizzes it's just a matter of taking a couple of weeks to build up the audience again.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No EE/ED clashes next week, commonsense is restored at ITV Towers
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    No EE/ED clashes next week, commonsense is restored at ITV Towers

Even the recently announced flashback episode is scheduled for 8pm in a couple of weeks on a Thursday.
This discussion has been closed.