Options

Almond milk

BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
Forum Member
✭✭
Is almond milk better for you than cows milk? I'm trying to improve my skin, and trying to greatly reduce the amount of dairy I eat, for two weeks, to see if it makes a difference. I would be drinking the same amount as I would regular milk, just replacing it.

Comments

• Options
    gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I'm right in thinking, almonds contain lots of vitamin E which is supposed to be very good for your skin. Almond milk tastes much better anyway.

Have a look at oat and hemp milk as well (you can find the latter in Tesco).
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Depends on if you have pre-existing thyroid problems... or if you're an infant :)

http://www.almondmilkhq.com/almond-milk-dangers/
  • Options
    RedRose9191RedRose9191 Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think so.

Unless you're allergic to cows milk of course.
  • Options
    biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Almond milk has less fat than any dairy milk,including skimmed.

It tastes really good,too.

I have it on cereal and I prefer it to dairy milk.

It tastes fresher and at the same time creamy.
  • Options
    BonymoroniBonymoroni Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    Does it taste "almond-y"? I can't bear things like marzipan, amaretto and bakewell tarts so am loathe to try almond milk but need to find a substitute for ordinary milk.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate the taste of almond milk, but I use it in smoothies and milkshakes instead of regular milk. With honey, banana, fruit etc, it tastes perfectly fine. Just not on it's own!
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    All milk alternatives have a slight flavour to them.

For me, the most acceptable is generally soya milk. I usually go for either Alpro, or the supermarkets' own brand unsweetened varieties. (pretty much all supermarket soya milk tastes the same whichever "brand" name is on the carton).

Either that or Koko which is a milk alternative made from coconuts but this does have quite a coconutty flavour which doesn't make it so good for whitening tea or coffee etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member

I have it on cereal.

me too..i like to drink it on its own aswell

i like a frothy coffee ( i mentioned in another thread), and this one doesn't froth up..it does , but when you add the boiling water it bubbles up and just fades out :D, not really impressed, so i use soya for coffee's..otherwise its a good milk, but pricey though at £1.69 :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    Almond milk is a healthy alternative for dairy milk because it is free from cholesterol and saturated fats. 8 ounces of almond milk contains 35-45 calories.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    Bonymoroni wrote: »
    Does it taste "almond-y"? I can't bear things like marzipan, amaretto and bakewell tarts so am loathe to try almond milk but need to find a substitute for ordinary milk.

They do a hazelnut milk too :)