Options

Rihanna - R8 (Album Thread)

LMLM Posts: 63,510
Forum Member
✭✭
No word on a release date, tracklisting or artwork, but with new material coming to light, I think a thread for the album is needed.

Just a reminder on what has been released so far

FourFive Seconds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt0g4dWxEBo

Bitch Better Have My Money
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M77stISbaY

American Oxygen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao8cGLIMtvg

James Joint (Interlude)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JsI9YuO0xY

Comments

• Options
    Carly_ThompsonCarly_Thompson Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not impressed with what we've heard so far I have to say.

FourFiveSeconds grew on me but I can see it becoming a forgotten hit in a couple of years, unlike many of her other lead singles and follow-ups.
    And the other songs are awful in my opinion. Where's her commercial appeal gone? She's gotten edgier with the last few albums but always balanced it with still making radio friendly, commercial music. This new stuff seems self indulgent, arrogant and messy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am glad she is becoming slightly less commercial. She's doing what she wants. Not what people continually expect from her. They want another Only girl or We Found Love. But she hasn't, and I admire that. I don't see how it can be self-indulgent and arrogant. It's brave and creative. Artists should make music for themselves, not what their fans continually want and not as a ploy to rack up millions of downloads and a few more number 1's. She's been slowly doing this since Talk That Talk, and it was shown more prominently in Unapologetic.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No word on a release date, tracklisting or artwork, but with new material coming to light, I think a thread for the album is needed.

Just a reminder on what has been released so far

FourFive Seconds
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt0g4dWxEBo

Bitch Better Have My Money
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M77stISbaY

American Oxygen
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao8cGLIMtvg

James Joint (Interlude)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JsI9YuO0xY

Other snippets we've heard:

Higher
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnrTtoiVy58

Kiss It Better
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHYdLCSU5vU

Promised
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQTK74dFNfM

A Night (samples Florence + The Machine - Only if for a Night)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU32okQ8Xjw
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Other snippets we've heard:

Higher
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnrTtoiVy58

Kiss It Better
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHYdLCSU5vU

Promised
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQTK74dFNfM

A Night (samples Florence + The Machine - Only if for a Night)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU32okQ8Xjw

Thank you

I did not have a clue about these.
  • Options
    RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rihanna was my god this time a few years back, besides 4/5 Seconds though I haven't even listened to any of them tracks all the way through. BBHMM is by a clear mile her worst song ever, American Oxygen is terribly messy production wise and James Joint is just an interlude so nothing really to get excited about.

Just before Christmas my excitement levels for R8 were sky high, now though I couldn't care less. Not giving up yet though, hopefully she pulls something out the bag...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am glad she is becoming slightly less commercial. She's doing what she wants. Not what people continually expect from her. They want another Only girl or We Found Love. But she hasn't, and I admire that. I don't see how it can be self-indulgent and arrogant. It's brave and creative. Artists should make music for themselves, not what their fans continually want and not as a ploy to rack up millions of downloads and a few more number 1's. She's been slowly doing this since Talk That Talk, and it was shown more prominently in Unapologetic.

To me, her new music has Kanye West stamped all over it and just sounds a bit too "try hard". Bitch Better Have My Money is incredibly try hard, arrogant and self indulgent (not to mention awful)

I'm not saying she needs to go full on commercial dance again, but she risks alienating a huge amount of her fan base and sales by totally abandoning her pop/R&B roots. She's worked hard over the last 6/7 years establishing herself as one of the biggest artists in the world and it seems silly to risk all that by doing trashy songs like BBHMM.

And if you are going to risk that, at least do a credible job of it instead of doing songs like American Oxygen and BBHMM.
  • Options
    Ally_BowieAlly_Bowie Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really really like Bitch Better Have My Money the other tracks havent really stood out to me at all, But then again i do prefer her more "evil songs" as i call them,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To me, her new music has Kanye West stamped all over it and just sounds a bit too "try hard". Bitch Better Have My Money is incredibly try hard, arrogant and self indulgent (not to mention awful)

But Rihanna's released songs before that were self-indulgent. 'Hard' is one example. I love that side of her tbh. Although I admit I'd rather she wasn't working with Kanye West.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    But Rihanna's released songs before that were self-indulgent. 'Hard' is one example. I love that side of her tbh. Although I admit I'd rather she wasn't working with Kanye West.

True, but Hard is a much better song than BBHMM I think, it has just enough mainstream appeal whilst also being white creative and different.

I do feel Rihanna should have released R8 after FourFiveSeconds. I think that song got the majority of people excited or at least a bit intrigued by her new sound, but the follow-up songs have deflated quite a lot of anticipation and excitement for the album. It'll still do well I'm sure, but not as well as a Rihanna "comeback" should do and I think her next album will be a return to radio friendly commercial songs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been looking really forward to a new Rihanna album but as much as I hate to say it none of what we've heard so far has excited me at all. It's had the opposite effect, in fact. I fear her albums might be getting worse with each release. For me, her last album of true quality was Loud.
  • Options
    scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just think she's waited FAR too long to be releasing stuff like this. Her fans spent the entire of 2014 just waiting for a release of some sort. The only song we got last year was CRTFY with Shakira which was pretty average.

FINALLY in 2015 FourFiveSeconds comes out. The initial reaction is 'what is this crap'. As it turned out, the song is a massive grower and turned out to be great. But it was promised as 'not the lead single' for #R8 and instead just the first track to be released. Basically hinting that better stuff was to come.

What comes next? BBHMM. One of Rihanna's solid dark/hip-hop tracks that come on pretty much every Rihanna album (eg. Pour It Up, Numb, Birthday Cake etc). Again, it's a grower, but not exactly of the quality you'd expect from the so-called biggest popstar in the world. But let's hope the best is yet to come. A true banger MUST be on its way? She's been working on this album for literally YEARS.

And then along comes American Oxygen. A damp squib of a song that sounded like it was gonna be huge from the snippets, but ended up lifeless and forgettable. Arguably one of the worst tracks she's done in a long, long time. I've given it a few listens but it's so MEH.

I just pray that she's got something up her sleeve that is gonna save this era. She's made her fans wait way too long to be releasing this stuff. If she doesn't give us a We Found Love/Only Girl/Don't Stop The Music/Diamonds/Rude Boy I'm gonna be so pissed off. And tbh #R8 will deserve to flop if she doesn't. It'll teach her for screwing over her fans like this.
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really anticipating this at all, everything I've heard so far has been absolutely atrocious. I appreciate her wanting to do her own thing and experimenting, but if you're going to do that, at least make the "experiments" good. Labeling music as experimental and creative is not an excuse for it to be plain old cr@p.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing is it's just your opinion that it's plain old crap as you don't like that particular sound. Unapologetic is no worse than Loud imo (in fact I prefer it to Loud). The snippets from R8 sound so soulful and her vocals sound stronger than they ever have before. She's clearly a victim of her own commercial success as she's now being described as a flop when she tries to do something out of the box. She will be back with commercial music even if it isn't on this album. The thing is she'd be criticised as lazy if she'd just released an album full of commercial pop after such a long break. It's clear to see already that she's put an awful lot into this album and has taken her time over it.
  • Options
    Ba Na NaBa Na Na Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've loved every single song Rihanna has put out. These songs though - sorry but they are awful! She can do so much better.

FourFive seconds is good - but after about 10 listens I deleted it off my playlist.
    American Oxygen had the potential to be an awesome song but it just sounds to *busy*.
    BBHMM is just dreadful.

Hopefully she'll have a great single when the album is due.

Edit: There's something off with her PR campaign - shes released the 45S song, but promoted her movie, then had loads of album cover (which she shared on instagram). I can only assume that the time these covers were booked she was orignally supposed to release her album? hence the maximum exposure. I could be wrong though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scratchy23 wrote: »
    I just think she's waited FAR too long to be releasing stuff like this. Her fans spent the entire of 2014 just waiting for a release of some sort. The only song we got last year was CRTFY with Shakira which was pretty average.

FINALLY in 2015 FourFiveSeconds comes out. The initial reaction is 'what is this crap'. As it turned out, the song is a massive grower and turned out to be great. But it was promised as 'not the lead single' for #R8 and instead just the first track to be released. Basically hinting that better stuff was to come.

What comes next? BBHMM. One of Rihanna's solid dark/hip-hop tracks that come on pretty much every Rihanna album (eg. Pour It Up, Numb, Birthday Cake etc). Again, it's a grower, but not exactly of the quality you'd expect from the so-called biggest popstar in the world. But let's hope the best is yet to come. A true banger MUST be on its way? She's been working on this album for literally YEARS.

And then along comes American Oxygen. A damp squib of a song that sounded like it was gonna be huge from the snippets, but ended up lifeless and forgettable. Arguably one of the worst tracks she's done in a long, long time. I've given it a few listens but it's so MEH.

I just pray that she's got something up her sleeve that is gonna save this era. She's made her fans wait way too long to be releasing this stuff. If she doesn't give us a We Found Love/Only Girl/Don't Stop The Music/Diamonds/Rude Boy I'm gonna be so pissed off. And tbh #R8 will deserve to flop if she doesn't. It'll teach her for screwing over her fans like this.

I agree with this. I also agree with another poster I saw the other day who said Rihanna has become a victim of her own success and now seems to think herself "above" releasing commercial music, much like Beyoncé.

I almost feel like this Rihanna would find it uncool to release a song like Only Girl or We Found Love now.
    She didn't get to become one of the top female artist by releasing crap experimental music and she won't stay there very long if she continues to do so.
  • Options
    NicoleRichNicoleRich Posts: 2,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her new music is piss poor.
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,634
    Forum Member
    Perhaps leaving Def Jam will be her biggest curse.

Rihanna is basically like Madonna.

Madonna throughout the 80s released some of her most classic pop songs. Likewise Rihanna also released some of her most classic songs in the latter end of the 00s.

What happens?

Madonna "grew up" and alienated her pop fans with the Bedtime Stories era. Likewise, Rihanna also seemed to do the same with Rated R.

Both Madonna and Rihanna made returns to form (Ray Of Light, Loud) before trying to be adventurous again and losing impact (American Life, R8).

In Rihanna's case, that means her next era should be on the similar level to Confessions On A Dancefloor. I don't think we're going to get any tracks like We Found Love with this era. It all seems so contrived to being edgy and mature but at the end of the day, it's not what the majority of Rihanna fans want.
  • Options
    IsThisHappinessIsThisHappiness Posts: 7,580
    Forum Member
    I think it all sounds terrible so far.

It's sad to see that she spent 2 years on an album and had 0 writing credits on the lead and minimal on all the others.

She's not talented at all and it's so sad because Unapolgetic, I thought, was brilliant!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to say that the presence of Tidal is making me worried about this era. There is a row brewing between Tidal and Apple and it's been reported that artists such as Rihanna won't be listed as featured artists on iTunes and their songs will be hidden away if they debut material on Tidal. Rihanna's latest single American Oxygen didn't appear on the main iTunes page when it was released after first being debuted on Tidal. That isn't going to help sales now is it?
  • Options
    James_DonovanJames_Donovan Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    It's really sad to hear these songs from the same artist that brought us WFL and Diamonds. She should have the first pick of the best of the best so why is she putting out this drivel.

Rihanna has proved she can sound more mature with songs like Stay she needs to stick to her formula that's widked before
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Rihanna is in for a shock with this album as I can see it bombing pretty bad (for a Rihanna album, it'll have decent-ish sales I'm sure but nowhere near what she's used to), so when it does do badly she'll realise she's best when she is doing the music like We Found Love, Only Girl, Stay etc. The general public aren't really here for this "artistic, ghetto bad gal" urban act she's portraying, she is and always has been a pop star, with great pop songs so she should embrace that.
    The odd song like FourFiveSeconds is refreshing, and she could have released that as a second single after a huge lead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Rihanna is in for a shock with this album as I can see it bombing pretty bad (for a Rihanna album, it'll have decent-ish sales I'm sure but nowhere near what she's used to), so when it does do badly she'll realise she's best when she is doing the music like We Found Love, Only Girl, Stay etc. The general public aren't really here for this "artistic, ghetto bad gal" urban act she's portraying, she is and always has been a pop star, with great pop songs so she should embrace that.
    The odd song like FourFiveSeconds is refreshing, and she could have released that as a second single after a huge lead.

No she has not at all. Her very first album is very Caribbean urban influenced, which was then carried into her second album. In fact all of her albums have all had urban influenced styles in it. But her and her label have been wise in picking up the more obvious poppy commercial songs. You make it sounds as if she has suddenly turned all urban and ghetto when she hasn't. She's never been a typical pop star. She has always delved into different genres. Many of her influences have been urban artists, she grew up on urban music and most of her music collaborations have been urban artists. This is hardly new territory for her. She's just delving into it a lot deeper than usual.
  • Options
    siriusrosesiriusrose Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a pretty casual fan but love 90% of her singles, everything this era has been really poor though it's really disappointing, it's similar to Rated R, but not as good imo from what we've heard. I'm more of a fan of pop Rihanna, but if she enjoys this more then good for her.
  • Options
    StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think, given that the three singles released so far have all been quite different in style to each other, her team at the minute are testing the waters as to what kind of style the public will like/accept from Rihanna at the minute.

What I imagine they have at the minute is a lot of tracks of different styles for the eighth album. Since American Oxygen and BBHMM haven't taken off as much, I imagine they'll be dumping the tracks that sound like those and filling the album up with songs that sound different to them.

This very much reminds me of the rumour (or was it true?) that Beyonce's 4th album was originally planned to be more alternative/dancey/experimental, but after Girls (Run The World) didn't take off, they shelved a lot of the more upbeat tracks and stuffed the album with more ballads and R+B songs. I imagine Rihanna's team at the minute are doing the same and that's why they're being cagey as to what kind of music/influences will be on the album in interviews.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No she has not at all. Her very first album is very Caribbean urban influenced, which was then carried into her second album. In fact all of her albums have all had urban influenced styles in it. But her and her label have been wise in picking up the more obvious poppy commercial songs. You make it sounds as if she has suddenly turned all urban and ghetto when she hasn't. She's never been a typical pop star. She has always delved into different genres. Many of her influences have been urban artists, she grew up on urban music and most of her music collaborations have been urban artists. This is hardly new territory for her. She's just delving into it a lot deeper than usual.

She was still a pop star, just with an urban edge. What I meant was Rihanna in the general sense has always been seen as a pop star and her pop songs are what she's most known for, , she's doing an album that seems quite experimental and urban, and the public just aren't here for that. Pop Rihanna with an urban edge? Yes. Urban Rihanna with a slight pop edge? No.