Options

Lower Powered Radio Stations

Garry_HerringGarry_Herring Posts: 66
Forum Member
Further to my previous post regarding receiving FM stations out of the area ("Radio York in the North-East"), I finally invested in a Yagi 3-element FM Aerial which is fully pointed in the right direction of Woolmoor (about 27 miles away) and has picked up the main BBC radio stations 1, 2, 3 & 4 almost 100 % (in Mono) but BBC Radio York is still full of background noise and fainter.

For some reason this station is not coming in as good as the rest, even though it is on the same transmitter.

Could they have lowered the power for this station? or is something else contributing to this?

Comments

• Options
    BollardBollard Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio York from Woolmoor is only 1/10th of the power of the BBC National stations. You need to make sure your aerial is mounted vertically as all transmissions are in that plane, not like this http://www.aerialsandtv.com/_wp_generated/wpc7828ed0_01_1a.jpg
  • Options
    Sid LawSid Law Posts: 4,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For some reason this station is not coming in as good as the rest, even though it is on the same transmitter.

Could they have lowered the power for this station? or is something else contributing to this?

It's not on the same transmitter, it's on the same mast.

Although Radio York may use the same aerials as the BBC nationals, as Bollard points out, the transmitter power is only 500w as opposed to the 5000w that the BBC national stations use.

It may be that Radio York uses different aerials at a different height on the mast. That would also affect reception at a distance.

Reception of (FM) stations outside of their service areas depends on an combination of transmitter power, aerial height and interference - interference as in other stations transmitting on the same or adjacent frequencies.
  • Options
    swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bollard wrote: »
    Radio York from Woolmoor is only 1/10th of the power of the BBC National stations. You need to make sure your aerial is mounted vertically as all transmissions are in that plane, not like this http://www.aerialsandtv.com/_wp_generated/wpc7828ed0_01_1a.jpg
    Yes the correct polarisation is vital, otherwise you are wasting your time. Other than that what tuner are you using?
  • Options
    SimonjharrissonSimonjharrisson Posts: 1,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where abouts are you based? The Woolmoor Transmitter is only 500 watts for Radio York, and 27 miles away at that power is a long way. Have you tried the more powerful signal on 103.7 which is 2kw?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that the OP mentioned on another thread that he had tried other frequencies without success.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swb1964 wrote: »
    I think that the OP mentioned on another thread that he had tried other frequencies without success.

Yes, I think he did. He needs to make sure that he has the Yagi correctly polarised in the Vertical plane as Radio York transmits VP on both Woolmoor and Acklam Wold.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look here https://ukfree.tv/radio/stations/BBC_Radio_York_(FM)

Seems the Woolmoor signal is nulled significantly to stop it reaching too far to the North East, but with an external FM Yagi I would have thought that an adequate signal could be received. Maybe others may have some other suggestions for the OP?
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any chance the station going or is on freeview as I can get BBC Norfolk , Cambridge & Kent on DTV and I heard the live out put is same as FM feed?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi all,

Many thanks for your wonderful helpful replies.

The second installer who came to replace the aerial has been wonderful. At first we had a friendly argument on what polarization the aerial should be as you have advised me on. He was adamant that the transmitter was both. Everything was tried with various amplifiers, aerial heights and so on. So now on Monday, the aerial will be placed vertically after showing him your comments. So I won my argument lol.

It's been a great learning curve, as this aerial is the first FM aerial that the company has fitted.

on the question of what my original system was, it was the Aiwa XR-em20 which was virtually useless for picking up MW stations (even BBC Radio 5 live was barely hear-able) but picked up reasonably well on the FM stations with external aerial.

My second system was the JVC RC-BX53 which was a kind of 'beat box' but this pulled in the MW band superbly, including Radio 5 Nostalgie from The Netherlands. Radio York came in excellent too, but as they didn't broadcast the York City FC matches on their AM band of 666Mhz this was no good to me. There was no input for an external aerial though which was a shame, as this was an excellent unit. JVC certainly make great stuff.

I have just purchased another JVC Hi-fi system UX-P55 and this has improved the quality even further on MW. The FM signal for Radio York has improved too, so I think the vertical adjustments may do the trick.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if there is an Internet option for this station, that might be the easier route to go down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    if there is an Internet option for this station, that might be the easier route to go down.

If I remember correctly, the OP wanted to listen to football commentary. And this is not broadcast on the internet due to 'restrictions'. I had the same issue wanting to listen to Radio Leicester. But a roof mounted 3 element Yagi solved the problem for me. Mind you Radio Leicester uses 8kw and covers most of the Midlands.
  • Options
    Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been a great learning curve, as this aerial is the first FM aerial that the company has fitted.
    Not exactly the best choice of installer !

Most TV installers haven't a clue about FM, as evidenced by the default being the dreaded horizontal halo which is a total waste of time. They like them because they fit in the white van easily and are less likely to get bent; performance simply isn't on their radar.

In most cases the best solution for FM is a vertical dipole, just the same as for DAB. There are very few FM stations without a vertical component.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gerry1 wrote: »
    Not exactly the best choice of installer !

Most TV installers haven't a clue about FM, as evidenced by the default being the dreaded horizontal halo which is a total waste of time. They like them because they fit in the white van easily and are less likely to get bent; performance simply isn't on their radar.

In most cases the best solution for FM is a vertical dipole, just the same as for DAB. There are very few FM stations without a vertical component.

You are quite correct about aerial installers. When I had our external DAB folded dipole put up, it was mounted horizontally. When I pointed out to him that it should be vertical, he admitted he didn't realise that all DAB is transmitted that way.

When, 2 years later I had the external 3 element Yagi put up, I used a firm that advertised as being FM installers as well as TV. I explained that i wanted to receive Radio Leicester, and he looked up the Tx and its location using some kind of device. "That Way" he pointed, and told me the distance was 65 miles+/- as the crow flies. It works fine. Full Stereo (slight hiss) full RDS. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Whaheyy!!! success. Many thanks to everyone on here for their advice and support.

Installer returned today and was astounded to hear Radio York coming in loud and crystal clear after he vertically placed the aerial. He was always led to believe that the aerials were on a horizontal/vertical mixed plane. He couldn't get over it.

Minster Fm is there too, but more noisy. as expected, as is Radio Leeds, which is stronger signal than I expected.

Lost Radio Aire and Viking FM as the aerial was turned, but these play mostly networked stuff anyway, mirroring TFM2 up here, in their output.

Many thanks to everyone.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whaheyy!!! success. Many thanks to everyone on here for their advice and support.

Installer returned today and was astounded to hear Radio York coming in loud and crystal clear after he vertically placed the aerial. He was always led to believe that the aerials were on a horizontal/vertical mixed plane. He couldn't get over it.

If he had bothered to look at official Ofcom data, and even the BBC's own 'Noddy Level' data....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/radio/fm_radio/fm_local

...he'd have known. In fact there are many FM transmitters that only transmit a VP signal, sorry but the guy is not fit for purpose. This is basic stuff

Did you not print out and show him the links I and others provided a few weeks ago ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Minster Fm is there too, but more noisy. as expected, as is Radio Leeds, which is stronger signal than I expected.

Lost Radio Aire and Viking FM as the aerial was turned, but these play mostly networked stuff anyway, mirroring TFM2 up here, in their output.

Many thanks to everyone.

Pleased that you got it sorted. Hopefully the installer will 'learn' from this.... :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes Marc I did. But this installer had not done FM aerials before and he was very keen to experiment with aerial height, angles, amplifiers, etc. So the aerial was turned 'this way and that' to see what could be picked up, various cables tried, testing of amplifiers, etc.

In fact, one amplifier was so powerful it was picking up BBC Radio Cymru and this totally blasted out Radio York. What transmitter this was coming in form we didn't know. Also some radio stations called Dearne FM and The Bay came in strongly.

Now the Aerial is vertical a lot of these signals have gone but it was very interesting to hear some of these stations and it has been a good learning curve.

Looking forward to hearing the York City match on Saturday. And may I say to Simon, continuing best wishes to Leicester City this season they are doing great. A question I would like to ask though is that: do Leicester City sometimes feature on the AM waveband only, and have you got good reception on there?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes Marc I did. But this installer had not done FM aerials before and he was very keen to experiment with aerial height, angles, amplifiers, etc. So the aerial was turned 'this way and that' to see what could be picked up, various cables tried, testing of amplifiers, etc.

In fact, one amplifier was so powerful it was picking up BBC Radio Cymru and this totally blasted out Radio York. What transmitter this was coming in form we didn't know. Also some radio stations called Dearne FM and The Bay came in strongly.

Now the Aerial is vertical a lot of these signals have gone but it was very interesting to hear some of these stations and it has been a good learning curve.

Looking forward to hearing the York City match on Saturday. And may I say to Simon, continuing best wishes to Leicester City this season they are doing great. A question I would like to ask though is that: do Leicester City sometimes feature on the AM waveband only, and have you got good reception on there?

Hi Garry
    Thanks for your good wishes regards Leicester City.
    No, Radio Leicester onlu broadcast on FM, the AM frequency was given up some years ago and carries BBC Asian Network.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a very strong Radio Cymru transmitterin North Wales whose name escapes me but it is on 104.3 . I know it reaches Leeds so not that surprised to hear it messing with Radio York.

Anyway glad you got it sorted finally.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Dearne FM is all the way from Barnsley.
    You were doing really well to pick that up must be a good 70 miles or more even.
  • Options
    Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But this installer had not done FM aerials before and he was very keen to experiment with aerial height, angles, amplifiers, etc.
    Should you ever find yourself needing brain surgery, don't choose a chiropodist to do it ! :o