Options

Sam Smith - Writing On The Wall

gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The new Bond theme

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/sep/25/hear-sam-smith-bond-theme-writings-on-the-wall-spectre

The intro has a nice buildup, but I can't seem to pinpoint a 'hook' really. Maybe a little less falsetto

Comments

• Options
    wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he is a little "high" in places, but i quite like it....:)
  • Options
    slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    sweeping strings with a cat that has its balls nipped is how I would discribe it
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Frankly, it's dire- It starts off with all the hallmarks of a bond theme, but the song is dull, doesn't build to anything and I really dislike his voice, especially in the falsetto segments- I hope this isn't a sign of the quality of the film as I'm really looking forward to it!
  • Options
    Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dirge.

Lyrically it's quite good, but vocally...it's a no from me.
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite like the song, but it would be so much better with a different singer IMO - although I am biased as I can't stand Sam Smith's voice anyway. Imagine it being sung by George Ezra - now that's the voice of Bond! :D
  • Options
    bass55bass55 Posts: 18,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very, very weak.

The lyrics are ok and instrumental is very John Barry-esque, but Sam Smith's vocals ruin the whole thing. The high-pitched wailing is a massive no for me. I wanted to switch it off about half way through and that is never a good sign for a Bond theme.

Didn't like 'Skyfall' much but it sounds like a classic in comparison to this rubbish.
  • Options
    kegsiekegsie Posts: 2,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather listen to five minutes of somebody scraping a nail down a slate blackboard that listen to that again.

If it's meant to suit the mood of the next Bond film then I don't want to watch it anymore.
  • Options
    maggie_07maggie_07 Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like it but I was expecting some negative reactions whoever had recorded it. Some people really dislike Sam Smith's voice but thankfully millions more like it. You can't please everybody. So far it has got a brilliant review in the Telegraph.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    I quite like the song, but it would be so much better with a different singer IMO - although I am biased as I can't stand Sam Smith's voice anyway. Imagine it being sung by George Ezra - now that's the voice of Bond! :D

No. Just no. You wouldn't be able to understand a word of it either.

This is OK. It sounds quite derivative (not as much as Skyfall). It reminds me of The World Is Not Enough mixed with Earth Song (as I read somewhere else).

As others have said, the falsetto doesn't work for a Bond film, although Sam Smith said he'd want to play a Bond girl so maybe that's what he was going for.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,270
    Forum Member
    Terrible.
  • Options
    slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    The best Bond songs are those that normal people can have a bit of a chance to sing along to

this offering is more like Brass Finger than Gold Finger

I bet the singers who perform Bond songs on Bond theme nights are spitting feathers
  • Options
    zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the music which is very Bond, and the lyrics are nice - but I just CAN'T stand Sam's voice, I wish someone else sang it.
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    zeze88 wrote: »
    I like the music which is very Bond, and the lyrics are nice - but I just CAN'T stand Sam's voice, I wish someone else sang it.

This sums it up perfectly.
  • Options
    kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. I am a big Sam Smith fan normally, but this just has too much falsetto in it. I don't think anyone can sing well in falsetto.

If the high bits were down an octave or two it would be better.

Nice lyrics though.
  • Options
    PuterkidPuterkid Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    Sam has a hard act to follow in Skyfall, although I never much liked that song personally!

There is too much falsetto, but isn't than Sam's style? After a couple of listens I like it. Obviously dirivitive, but surely it has to be?
  • Options
    johnson293johnson293 Posts: 1,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's not much wrong with it as a song, but as a Bond Theme, its just boring and generic.

Too similar to 'Skyfall' for me too... slow and sweeping, with an orchestral backing, giving touches of that 'Bond' tune.

Need another decent Bond Theme like 'Live & Let Die' or 'A View to a Kill'.
  • Options
    PaleHorsePaleHorse Posts: 5,681
    Forum Member
    It's funny because while I'm certainly no Sam Smith fan (his music sounds like 'Hey, what if the Bee Gees were depressed?'), I am definitely a James Bond fan. And so I was eagerly anticipating the release of this theme, hoping to God it would break the mould (and his voice) and be a rousing little number. I don't care for Adele, but Skyfall rose to the challenge.

So I was at work, finally coming back from having gotten a drink of water, and I was standing next to the van, my mind on other things, sort of vaguely registering that a song was playing on Heart Breakfast but not really having it breach my mind beyond that point. All of a sudden, I think to myself 'Ugh, what is that bland, generic, interminably depressing pos?', and then I listen to the words and I suddenly realise I'm listening to the latest James Bond theme. Ugh. Hate Sam Smith. Hate him so much. :p

What is it about songwriters who think that it's something to boast about when they write a song in 20 minutes or something like that? When I first heard he'd said that, the alarm bells went ringing. Because when I hear something as complacent and boastful as that, and then I finally listen to the product, I'm just like '20 minutes? Eh, it shows'.
  • Options
    barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dull, boring, forgettable & never gets going .... must be stronger stuff in soundtrack ... as others have mentioned worse than the also weak skyfall (Adele performing below her best)
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised it took him as long as 20 minutes. What a disappointment.
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main problems I have are the warbling int he chorus is rather grating, the song doesn't really go anywhere and the song itself is quite boring, its like he specifically sat down and tried to write the most boring, generic Bond song he could in order to make it sound like a quintessential Bond song, but he ultimately failed.
  • Options
    asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    It's a nothing song and I normally like Sam Smiths music .
  • Options
    Cpt James KirkCpt James Kirk Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    I like Sam normally but this is truly awful!

They needed a more upbeat theme after Skyfall but no.

John Barry must be turning in his grave!
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the past they have changed the Bond theme song with days to spare on theatrical release. I think they really need to do the same again.
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Horrible dirge ...hope when its on the opening titles it livens it up a bit and doesnt send people to sleep.
    Dont like his voice or Adeles but Adeles song was better
  • Options
    bass55bass55 Posts: 18,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I listened to it a second time and oh god it's horrible.

Come back Madonna, all is forgiven.