12 Years A Slave

NathalieRNathalieR Posts: 16,004
Forum Member
✭✭
Has anyone heard or seen this yet? It's a film about a 'free' black man in 1840's America who is kidnapped from his family and forced to be a slave. Based on a true story.
Directed by Steve McQueen and produced by Brad Pitt.
I saw this last night and it's one of the best films I've seen in a while. Extremely powerful and the acting is brilliant. It's touted to win some oscars.

I highly recommend it. Only negatives I'd say is at times it's a bit brutal and also I didn't always understand the dialogue.

Anyone seen it. Thoughts if you have?

Comments

• Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it at the London Film Festival last night. On the whole I thought it was a strong and compelling drama, some very impressive performances from the lead and supporting cast. However I thought Pitt's role was rather obvious and thus dissipated any dramatic tension at a key point in the film and that as such the resolution is rather anti-climatictic. Still, a good 8/10 for me.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't seen it but it looks like a must-see. The Guardian's Catherine Shoard thinks it's a cert to win a shed-load of Oscars.

Watched the trailer recently and looked McQueen up on Wikipedia. He's a bit of superstar: first British director to win the Caméra d'Or at Cannes, winner at Toronto and the Los Angeles Film Critics Association, BAFTA - and the Turner Prize. And he went to a comprehensive in Ealing and sixth-form college in Hammersmith, so a local West Londoner.
  • NathalieRNathalieR Posts: 16,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I went to the film festival last night to watch it. The reception from audience was good, I think I will do well but I agree about Pitts character.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Didn't Tarantino do this?
  • NathalieRNathalieR Posts: 16,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No it was Steve Mcqueen
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Didn't Tarantino do this?

No, he did 12 Years A Mother****ing Slave, N**ga.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    :D hehe
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This link to The Wire creator David Simon's blog post - on his reaction to 12 Year a Slave, which he watched twice - has been passed around the office like a wildfire today. I thought some of you might like the link (I found the discussion at the end of his post a joy to read): Slavery, a film narrative and the empty myth of original intent.
  • bexmil89bexmil89 Posts: 4,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just bumping this thread up as I'm seeing this on tuesday for an unlimited screening. I studied a lot about slavery at university so I'm really interested to see this film, the book is a great read as well. Just wondering if anyone else has seen it yet and what your thoughts are?
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was good but got boring in the last 45mins because he had decided to play along and no longer try to escape. The film just then went on to reflect the hardship of slavery and the morality of it in that period. I also thought the ending was anti-climatic.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »

Haha :D
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bexmil89 wrote: »
    Just bumping this thread up as I'm seeing this on tuesday for an unlimited screening. I studied a lot about slavery at university so I'm really interested to see this film, the book is a great read as well. Just wondering if anyone else has seen it yet and what your thoughts are?

Saw it at a festival last November or late October. While I thought it was a good film, it didn't affect me as much as it did others. A few in the audience cried and a good round of applause after it ended.

Solid performances from the cast (apart from Brad Pitt who was a bit out of place) and the script was surprisingly solid. I had mixed feelings about how the ending was handled, but in hindsight, it's worked. I still wish for a better ending, though.

Comparing with other films on the subject over years, I'd consider 12 Years a Slave the most interesting one of all I've seen so far. Mostly because it focuses on one man's emotional and intellectual adjustments more than on his journey as a whole. This approach makes the film quite refreshing. It does have a couple of flaws, but nothing serious. For what it's worth, I gave it a 8/10 (admittedly, mostly for cinematography).

A friend, who saw the film later, said that although there is a couple of omissions, the film is surprisingly faithful to the book. So the general plot won't come as a surprise if you already read the book.
  • DizzleDizzle Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A very well made film with some terrific performances but I found the story itself to be lacking. While it makes an interesting life story, for a film it needs more depth. The ending felt rushed and was very anti climatic. I'm glad that I saw it in the cinema but I can't imagine ever wanting to watch it again.
  • Martin BlankMartin Blank Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a good movie.

Fassbender yet again shows why he's one of the true great actors of our time.

It does suffer a little under the expectation of it's own brilliance. You're better off going into it not knowing anything about it, who's in it or having seen the trailer. Hype can distract you whilst watching.

...and try your hardest not to think about Inception whilst you're listening to the score! (or The Thin Red Line)
  • bexmil89bexmil89 Posts: 4,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for the feedback.
    I got to watch it last night and i thought it was a very good film, I agree with the above poster about Michael Fassbender, his performance in the film was brilliant and I hope he gets the awards he deserves.

I do agree with that I expected it to be brilliant after seeing the reviews, and even though I thought it was a great film I probably would have enjoyed (probably not the best word used :p) the film more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NathalieR wrote: »
    Has anyone heard or seen this yet? It's a film about a 'free' black man in 1840's America who is kidnapped from his family and forced to be a slave. Based on a true story.
    Directed by Steve McQueen and produced by Brad Pitt.
    I saw this last night and it's one of the best films I've seen in a while. Extremely powerful and the acting is brilliant. It's touted to win some oscars.

I highly recommend it. Only negatives I'd say is at times it's a bit brutal and also I didn't always understand the dialogue.

Anyone seen it. Thoughts if you have?

The brutality was true....its the same in the book. If it had been watered down he would not be following what Soloman Northup went through.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    This link to The Wire creator David Simon's blog post - on his reaction to 12 Year a Slave, which he watched twice - has been passed around the office like a wildfire today. I thought some of you might like the link (I found the discussion at the end of his post a joy to read): Slavery, a film narrative and the empty myth of original intent.

Hmm, not a bloke to use one word when twelve will do, is he?:D

TL;DR seems to be 'The Founding Fathers suck because they didn't reflect the liberal mores of the 21st century.' Well, duh?
  • 5panky5panky Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Very powerful film with great performances from all the cast, it will no doubt sweep the Baftas/Oscars come awards time.

There are some difficult scenes but I did not mind as I feel that the brutality of the events had to be shown.

I would prefer though for Tom Hanks to win best actor as I was amazed by his performance in Captain Phillips, he produced something we have never seen from him before and that's saying something considering how many films he's done.
  • LojenLojen Posts: 1,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5panky wrote: »
    There are some difficult scenes but I did not mind as I feel that the brutality of the events had to be shown.

Yes, I'd go so far as to say that those scenes were crucial to the film. Brad Pitt on the other hand was not crucial at all and I felt his appearance diminished the power of the film ever so slightly.

Overall though I thought it was a fascinating story and an excellent film, mostly deserving of the praise it is receiving.
  • BeanybunBeanybun Posts: 3,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lojen wrote: »
    Yes, I'd go so far as to say that those scenes were crucial to the film. Brad Pitt on the other hand was not crucial at all and I felt his appearance diminished the power of the film ever so slightly.

Overall though I thought it was a fascinating story and an excellent film, mostly deserving of the praise it is receiving.

Saw it today; superbly made, acted, directed , great cinematography too.

I thought the structure of the "cameo" stars a little obvious; Cumberbatch the civilised but fundamentally weak slaver, Fassbender the face of irredeemable evil and Pitt, the bloke (and producer!) who was obviously going to sort it out.

But you can visibly see the quality and it will deserve the Oscars it will inevitably and mostly deservedly pick up.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lojen wrote: »
    Brad Pitt on the other hand was not crucial at all and I felt his appearance diminished the power of the film ever so slightly.

Pretty much my thoughts, nothing against Pitt, but it was transparent from the moment he appeared on the screen what was going to happen.

Would have been more interesting to have him play the other guy Solomon tried to get to help him.
  • RAZORBACKRAZORBACK Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately this wasn't as good as I hoped it would be, I guess all of the awards hype surrounding this movie really didn't help but it just wasn't as moving as I'd expected.

Don't get me wrong, it didn't outstay it's welcome time wise but there was just something missing that prevented it from becoming a genuine contender for film of the year.

As things stand, it's still a very decent drama but no more than that so overall 8/10 feels like a fair & appropriate rating...
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i haven't been able to see it yet but it fits in perfectly with my dissertation that i'm doing on the representation of African Americans in recent Hollywood cinema - would someone be kind enough to either PM me or reply on here about a couple of major scenes that I could be able to include, thank so much :)

the trailer looks awesome btw, really hope i can see it in the next week :3
  • Tony_BrooksTony_Brooks Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    There was also a similar situation with a virtuoso violinist - Joseph Emidy - in the Lisbon opera who was pressed into the Royal Navy as a ship's fiddler in 1795 for four years before resuming his life in England.

I think that would make at least as good a story on film.