Options

Rage Against The Machine for CHRISTMAS NO.1

Comments

• Options
    BritishHoboBritishHobo Posts: 2,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    I'm all for getting this X Factor rubbish out the charts and good effort to the RATM supporters but couldn't they have chosen a better song. I'd like to see an actual Christmas song get to No1 or even a fun novelty record but why pick an equally as awful record to do it with. I'm totally against Simon Cowell but to have the number one slot replaced with this foul mouthed rubbish is equally as bad in my opinion. I don't particular want to listen to either if I was being honest.

To post offensive messages on Joe's page is just out of order. It's not his fault.

Aye, I think it would have been better to pick a Christmas song for the campagin. Would have made a lot mroe sense.

And people that are insulting Joe... it's just stupid.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    Majestyc wrote: »
    Er...Audioslave's lineup was essentially Rage's but replaced Zach with Chris Cornell ;)

I miss Audioslave don't get me wrong Rage are the better band and I was so pleased when they reformed but Chris Cornell does awful solo songs! I was half hoping when Rage reformed so would soundgarden..... I live in hope!!

Tom Morello is an amazing guitarist and for that reason alone RATM deserve to get to number one. I've been a big rage fan for years so have gladly got behind this campaign! I have nothing against the other fella, I've never actually watched The X-Factor its not really my thing.

It would be nice to see a band I love get to number one ... it so rarely happens!! This is the first time I have even given the charts a second glance for years!
  • Options
    c3pod4qpc3pod4qp Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kutox wrote: »
    i wonder how many listeners the chart show will get later today.

I haven't listened to the chart show for almost 20 years. I'm going to listen just before 7 tonight. Does 'Kid' Jensen still present the 'Pepsi chart'?
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »
    They've produced a great many "decent records".

I suspect that you'll never appreciate any of them, though.

You should just stick to listening to whatever the X-Factor winners have been instructed to record. :)

I know what I like and it's not that crap.:eek:

I am not a Cowell fan and I would have prefered to support someone like Cliff Richard:)
  • Options
    ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »

I am not a Cowell fan and I would have prefered to support someone like Cliff Richard:)

Rage against the Machine was the right choice for a protest. It can't be Cliff for goodness sake, that's exactly targeting demographic that buys manufactured crap!
    It had to be as non Xmas and "not pop" as much as possible to try to stick to Cowell and his baby karaoke "stars"!

Whatever happens, I hope the general public has a better idea of what true true music/musicians are.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    God, I hope today turns out the way we all want it to. RATM for No.1 please.
  • Options
    SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    I'd love to see the smug git knocked off the number one slot but I just can't see it somehow. Something inside me says it's all a fix.

I know what you mean. I got that feeling when the Official Chart Company, 3 days into the sales, suddenly announced that the number of multiple purchases that could be made on one site in order for it to count was less than they'd been telling us.
  • Options
    James LamontJames Lamont Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye, I think it would have been better to pick a Christmas song for the campagin. Would have made a lot mroe sense.

Your missing the whole point of the campaign, it was a prank that put the most UNCHRISTMASEY song up to go against the X Factor winner and get the number 1. RATM was deliberately chosen because it was intentionally the opposite to a normal christmas song.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    c3pod4qp wrote: »
    I haven't listened to the chart show for almost 20 years. I'm going to listen just before 7 tonight. Does 'Kid' Jensen still present the 'Pepsi chart'?

No and technically he never did. Even if he had been still presenting the chart that he used to present, that #1 could have been different to the official #1 anyway - so completely irrelevant and pointless.

My gut instinct, unfortunately, is telling me that X-Brand has won it again.

Next year, and the year after, and the year after that, I hope there's a long concerted effort to collaborate, identify and agree on a track to push against next year's inevitable manufactured X-Brand Winner's Xmas release. If this was to start in October, around the time of the live finals then there's a good chance it'll have some momentum and will build as the X-Brand does. This year with RATM has been interesting and has pushed the Xmas chart, made it far far mor einteresting than it has in years, but it was left a little bit late imo.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL!

Cliff Richard is finished. Considering his last Christmas #1 was 10 years ago with several failed attempts since (non of which have sold anywhere near as many as RATM this week), he's not really a good choice.

If he entered X-Brand next year, he wouldn't make the live finals.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chparmar wrote: »
    Whatever happens, I hope the general public has a better idea of what true true music/musicians are.

Oh God :rolleyes: Is this where everyone starts naming "real" bands that no ones heard of? Then when said bands hit the charts, they have "sold out" or gone mainstream :rolleyes: It seems everyone who gets in the charts, is crap to some people! Therefore the beatles,rolling stones etc aint "real bands".

People just want to make out they are some sort of music elite, because they name unheard of bands. The charts are made up of songs the mass public like, if these so called "real bands" were any good they would have broke through by now. Its not the x factor stopping them, its just they are rubbish :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    Chip_chip wrote: »
    Oh God :rolleyes: Is this where everyone starts naming "real" bands that no ones heard of? Then when said bands hit the charts, they have "sold out" or gone mainstream :rolleyes: It seems everyone who gets in the charts, is crap to some people! Therefore the beatles,rolling stones etc aint "real bands".

People just want to make out they are some sort of music elite, because they name unheard of bands. The charts are made up of songs the mass public like, if these so called "real bands" were any good they would have broke through by now. Its not the x factor stopping them, its just they are rubbish :D

What a lot of old rubbish.

Here's an example for you.
    In 2003 I bought an album called youth and young manhood. It was a fantastic album and probably the best this band have ever produced. They kept playing, writing songs and touring for years.

5 years later and on their 4th album, they finally broke through.
    Do you know who it is yet??

Are you telling me that in 2003 the kings of leon were crap but now they are suddenly great?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 332
    Forum Member

In 2003 I bought an album called youth and young manhood. It was a fantastic album and probably the best this band have ever produced. They kept playing, writing songs and touring for years.

Are you telling me that in 2003 the kings of leon were crap but now they are suddenly great?

Well, I think they had the edge for me before 'Sex On Fire', personally. Although their latest album is still awesome in many respects, I do feel it's a little contrived for commercial success. I also think the bands image eg, hair cuts etc(which happened at the same time as sex on fire, surprise surprise) only supports this.

It was a deliberate break through for commercial success, whether it's a bad thing or not, is a different issue I suppose.
  • Options
    jake19801957jake19801957 Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You_mo wrote: »
    Why couldn't it have been Wham!?

"Last Christmas I gave you my heart....."

:D

well if it was a christmas song i would of supported it .i brought joes song (once) i cant sand the ratm
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    Matthew W wrote: »
    Well, I think they had the edge for me before 'Sex On Fire', personally. Although their latest album is still awesome in many respects, I do feel it's a little contrived for commercial success. I also think the bands image eg, hair cuts etc(which happened at the same time as sex on fire, surprise surprise) only supports this.

It was a deliberate break through for commercial success, whether it's a bad thing or not, is a different issue I suppose.

For one I was merely giving an example as to why the previous poster was wrong.

For two, a deliberate break through? To me that is absolute rubbish. Hair cuts=worldwide acclaim? And to be fair throughout their career which now spans around 10 years they have cut their hair/shaved the beards many a time
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member

To be fair, the earlier albums are not as mainstream as Only by the Night and I imagine that many people, like myself, only bought the earlier albums on the strength of Only By The Night.

Don't worry though, we know that you discovered them long before most of the rest of us, so respect to you! ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Going by the Betfair Prices..major crash

Looks like RATM have done it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see RATM are now quite heavy favorites to win the race for xmas no.1 (1/10 on betfair), with The X factor drifting.

Possibly there has been a leak somewhere?
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
    Forum Member
    dynamoe88 wrote: »
    LOL!

Cliff Richard is finished. Considering his last Christmas #1 was 10 years ago with several failed attempts since (non of which have sold anywhere near as many as RATM this week), he's not really a good choice.

Cliff Richard's last Christmas number one was actually nearly 20 years ago. It was Saviours Day in 1990. This is also the last Christmas number one that was a proper christmas song.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

LOL. Why does none of this surprise me? :D

Fair dos though. At least Cliff is a real performer with a litany of original songs to his name. Not my cup of tea personally, but why the Hell not?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 227
    Forum Member

This statement is full of flaws, I know an example has already been given but lostprophets years and years ago released fake sound of progress to critical acclaim - it sold well but no well enough and unless u were in touch with music out of the charts u wouldn't know what it was.
    Then 4 /5 years later the Albums pushed some more and rereleased and all o a sudden there in the charts and everyone is talking about them/mass air time etc.
    So by your argument the first time they released it they were crap but the second time good-just bc they were in the charts??couldn't possibly b the fact that the vast majority of people thing that the only music that exists is stuff on the charts and don't bother to investgate to find alternatve music thy may like.

Oh and lostprophets did sell out also -bc they created to dire albums after that and lost the respect Of alot of there once fans/critics and that takes some doing.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dynamoe88 wrote: »
    LOL!

That's an unfair statement as Cliff went to number one cos his fans bought his record fair and square not cos people bought it out of protest for his rival. Plus the fact you can't count all the people who've downloaded it 3 or 4 times. Under normal circumstances nobody in their right mind would go out and buy 3 copies of the same record. You can't compare this with other Christmas songs.

That's because X Factor is followed by kids, pre pubescent girls and hormonal WAGS called Chelsea who wouldn't know good music if it jumped up and bit em on the arse. Only kids and people who are sucked in by media hype go out and buy this drivel. That's why 'real' music doesn't stand a chance. People who know what real music is and have a mind of their own don't get brainwashed into buying singles in their thousands just cos it's been hyped up on TV for the last 4 months.

The only reason the X Factor single goes to No1 ever year is because it's one long, 4 month advert for them, aimed at kids who then get brainwashed into buying it or getting their parents to buy it for Christmas. Or they buy it cos it's trendy to, not cos they actually like it. They download it cos they've been hypnotised by SC. He's like the evil Childcatcher off Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
  • Options
    SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh dear now naive are you? The charts are made up of songs that the music companies choose to give their advertising to, the songs that get huge airplay and media attention because their companies spend a great deal of time and money promoting them. Mainly they promote people who are inoffensively bland but pretty to look at because they know that certain target groups will not only buy their music but will buy all of the associated merchandise the record company sells to go with them.

A few real bands get through now and again because they are too huge for them not to but generally it's just the music the company thinks they can make the most money out of, not the best music.

There are lots of great bands out there who get almost no help from their music company other than pressing a few album. You almost have to know where to look for their kind of music in order to actually hear them.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes that's right. It's all to do with selling an image and the backing, publicity they get. If the X Factor didn't run for 4 months and had it not had weeks of hype and media coverage then it wouldn't be as popular. This is why other artists don't stand a chance because they don't have the money to throw behind a 4 month advertising campain to promote their single.

The music charts are dominated by artists who are there to sell their image and advertisers buy into that. If you've got something that's marketable and look like the perfect sexy pinup that the media can sell to young people then you'll get promoted. If not then you'll struggle to make it. So alot of very tallented bands fail to make it. Not because they don't have the tallent but because they don't have the backing to get promoted and advertised. Some bands don't want that anyway. They like to get there on their own merrit and don't agree with this plastic wrapped, pre-packed, perfect image the record producers are selling to kids. In fact some artists don't really want a load of young kids as their fan base. To them it's more about the music than the desire to make money.

Look at Susan Boyle for example. She's not exactly what you'd call the nation's sweetheart is she? Nor is she a sexy pinup. Yet her album is number one. If it hadn't been to do with BGT and had all that SUBO media hype and promotion, the sob story etc etc, do you think anyone would have bought her album. I think not. It would have been out there next to those dodgy Forrester and Allen country records you buy on the market or condemned to the bargain basement.
  • Options
    iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your missing the whole point of the campaign, it was a prank that put the most UNCHRISTMASEY song up to go against the X Factor winner and get the number 1. RATM was deliberately chosen because it was intentionally the opposite to a normal christmas song.

By people protesting that Christmas number ones weren't the number ones they used to be?

Sounds a bit back to front if you ask me.

I thought it was because if the line :

**** you! I won't do what you tell me!

Because people were so self righteous and arrogant that they thought the only reason people were buying TXF single was because Cowell was somehow telling them to?

Whilst seemingly missing that people actually were telling people to buy the RATM track...

Iain