Cheryl gets the gig. (Merged)

Comments

• sammyvinesammyvine Posts: 3,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James T wrote: »
    When it was announced that Cheryl would be taking over from Sharon Osbourne on UK X factor, people were initially rather sceptical. At the time, Cheryl was still very young and only really known as one part of a moderately successful girlband; she had nothing like the industry clout or the celebrity of the person she was replacing. However she turned out to be a massive hit for the simple reason that she just happened to be a very good judge. She was able to express a wide range of emotions and wasn't afraid to stand her ground against the opinion of more experienced judges, Simon in particular. She was charismatic and engaging.

I think the Americans will quickly grow to love her just as the British did. The only real difference is that the accent may be an issue stateside. People talk about her not being a respected musician or really being known at all, but that's not why she's there — she's there because she's just good at her job. There are enough other spaces on the judging panel for people with the prior credentials to initially sell the show.

BTW I have no idea why there's so much hate for her on DS, in evident contrast to the population as a whole, where she's treated as some sort of national treasure. Are forum members still hung up on the Gamu thing? :confused:

The hate is too much, I AGREE.

The people here don't ''love her though''. Most people are happy that she is going to the US so she will be off the TV screens, so I think your overrating her likeness in the UK. She is not as popular as many think.
  • Harry RedknappHarry Redknapp Posts: 4,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not entirely sire if shell be quitting ukxf the itv website seemed to imply that she was but the article was re edited. I can't see her doing it without si but wherever itv would be happy to lose both si and chez is another story. *shrug*
  • James TJames T Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sammyvine wrote: »
    The hate is too much, I AGREE.

The people here don't ''love her though''. Most people are happy that she is going to the US so she will be off the TV screens, so I think your overrating her likeness in the UK. She is not as popular as many think.

Maybe, she's not as popular now as she was after the first series of X factor, but on the other hand I don't think her stock has diminished as much as some people imagine. I think the success of her second album is a significant indicator of her continuing popularity.
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not entirely sire if shell be quitting ukxf the itv website seemed to imply that she was but the article was re edited. I can't see her doing it without si but wherever itv would be happy to lose both si and chez is another story. *shrug*
    I can't see her doing both. It would simply be too much.
  • Lou17Lou17 Posts: 30,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh no now they'll try and big her up as being A* list.:eek::(

Just goes to show it's about what you look like (and how you treat your boss ;) ) and not what talent you have. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James T wrote: »
    Maybe, she's not as popular now as she was after the first series of X factor, but on the other hand I don't think her stock has diminished as much as some people imagine. I think the success of her second album is a significant indicator of her continuing popularity.

Her popularity depends on her sympathy support, it's naturally going to have worn off alot by now.
  • Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People didn't know Cowell before Pop Idol did they? So maybe Americans not knowing who Cheryl is, is not such a bad thing for her. She'll be a completely fresh face to the American audiences and maybe Cowell will see that as sell-able. If she has the likeabilty factor (for the US audience), she has a chance, no?

I doubt Cheryl would do an X Factor show if Simon isn't there next to her (as would be the case with UK XFactor). If he barely features on the UK version then I doubt she'll want to be on it wthout his continual presence.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will she get away with the attitude with Simon on US TV without people knowing her little sweet inoffesive character first.:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    Guys, you may as well wish her good luck...the sky is the limit for Cheryl. No amount of ill feeling is going to stop this girl...i'm not a fan btw.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MediaO wrote: »
    Guys, you may as well wish her good luck...the sky is the limit for Cheryl. No amount of ill feeling is going to stop this girl...i'm not a fan btw.

It's not like she deserves it is it? No thanks!:D:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    I know but the more you dislike a person and they seem to be getting more and more successful...you can sort of abandon your own ambitions cos you're so caught up in the anger of someone who don't even know.

I'm not explaining myself well, lol. tired
  • gav016gav016 Posts: 5,836
    Forum Member
    The thing with Cheryl is she hasn't really done anything to warrant the hatred she attracts from some people, there seem to be as many people obsessively against her than there are obsessive fans. People have gone majorly overboard, and the papers that used to strongly hype her have turned against her.

I'm glad she's got the opportunity for a new start, and I'm sure she'll be a huge success, because I really think she deserves it.
  • stash22stash22 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Miriam_R wrote: »
    People didn't know Cowell before Pop Idol did they? So maybe Americans not knowing who Cheryl is, is not such a bad thing for her. She'll be a completely fresh face to the American audiences and maybe Cowell will see that as sell-able. If she has the likeabilty factor (for the US audience), she has a chance, no?

QUOTE]

I hate to say it but this sort of gig is so much harder for a woman than it is a man - Simon got a reputation for being 'mr nasty' which America seemed to love but imagine if that had been a female unknown judge like Cheryl? Might work but would be much harder to pull off. Simon had a gimmick and people respected his opinion, Cheyl has no gimmick apart from her friendship with Cowell and Will I AM

gav016 wrote: »
    The thing with Cheryl is she hasn't really done anything to warrant the hatred she attracts from some people, there seem to be as many people obsessively against her than there are obsessive fans. People have gone majorly overboard, and the papers that used to strongly hype her have turned against her.

I'm glad she's got the opportunity for a new start, and I'm sure she'll be a huge success, because I really think she deserves it.

That happens in this country all the time, the papers go completely over the top, ' our national treasure' etc - alot of the public lap it up- and then they do a complete 180 and the public follow. The massive hype can only last for so long and then the person has to maintain it on their own, Cheryl hasnt really managed to do this very well... last xfactor was really not good series for her - I think she would be right to do the US one and drop the UK one. Last year she could not do much right -even her clothes and hair were constantly criticised, I felt bemused by all that as she looked pretty much the same as the past 2 series when she was ridiculously over-praised :confused:
  • luvandlifeluvandlife Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MICH78 wrote: »
    It's a very good point to remember. They have some great singers, but they have their fair share of 'Cheryls' too. Look at Beiber and his miming on XF last year!

Beiber is Canadian.
  • JanieBJanieB Posts: 3,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done Cheryl. I am only pleased because I am also from Newcastle and it is always great to see one of our own do well.

However.....let's hope you don't become another Victoria Beckham in the eyes of the critics. She was slated after being a judge on AI. Good job you smile a bit more than she does!

Sarah from Girls Aloud must be spitting feathers.

Could Simon really not find any other big names to do this? Very brave taking on an unknown judge and who the heck is LA Reid? Big deal bringing in Paula Abdul. She is as omnipresent over there as blooming Myleene Klass is here.

Still, it will be interesting to see if the whole concept is a hit over there, as much as it will be fascinating to see if our X Factor later this year bombs like BGT has, because of Simon's absence and our talent pool running dry (and also because people finally wake up and realise that you can be dropped quickly like Joe and Leon if you don't sell records).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Um how does she "deserve it" because she got malaria? Divorce? What about all the other malaria folk and divorcees?

Simon moved mountains to get her on the show; she isn't talented regardless of that press release.. In her 1st 2 years she had been given the strongest categories and was helped by Simon behind the scenes. She has been handed something on a plate by Simon again. in what universe has she spotted and nurtured talent? She didn't know what to do with alexandra and damn near lost her till Simon stepped in, and then after that competed with her on the charts.

What was the point in Simon pretending that loads were in the running only to have had reserved all 3 slots. If it does transpire that pauler is on the panel, the show deserves to flop.. as it is it probably won't.

What sort of person leaves the more inifinitly talented artists on his roster to flounder and rot while move mountains to male it happen for one the judges?

The only consolation is that they cannot make it into the
  • AerickAerick Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate to say it but this sort of gig is so much harder for a woman than it is a man - Simon got a reputation for being 'mr nasty' which America seemed to love but imagine if that had been a female unknown judge like Cheryl? Might work but would be much harder to pull off. Simon had a gimmick and people respected his opinion, Cheyl has no gimmick apart from her friendship with Cowell and Will I AM

sorry, I had no idea who I was quoting. it was a bit jumbled.But this is exactly correct. When AI first started, the GIMMICK of the show was the horrible joke auditions (remember William Hung doing that Ricky Martin number?), it was fun to see and was perfect 'water cooler' talk at the office. Plus there was this acerbic Brit who we loved to hate. "You can't sing. You can't dance. What do you want me to say?". Then there was Paula, who really did have a history with the American public. Starting in the late 80s to the late 90s. People liked her, remembered her and welcomed her back. Randy was there and grew on people. BUT still, you have to have something to pull them in. US XF does not seem to have that. It remains to be seen if Simon is past his draw now, will the public welcome him back? He alone is not a draw. Oh for sure, the show WILL be watched by many at first, but it remains to be seen if they wil come back week after week. Americans are a fickle audience. In no way is Cheryl Cole a draw. We have no history with her, no adoration or sympathy or desire to see her. Fresh face, fresh demeanor or not. We see new and fresh on a daily basis on program(me)s such as these. Simon's going to have to bring out the big guns for the other judge. Now way will Cheryl be top female on this show. She may be 'one' of the females, but not top dog. I'm afraid she will be squashed by a more popular American singer if Simon goes that route. I've nothing against Cheryl Cole, it's just a bit odd about her selection.
  • BReal2BReal2 Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She already has against her the facts she's never released music in America and isn't famous here. If he really intends to put Paula Abdul on the panel and have Nicole Scherzinger host then it will show just how lacking Cheryl's fame is in America and how undeserving she is of the job. I find it odd he selects women who can't sing to work with and sticks a talented singer like Nicole with a hosting job.
  • BReal2BReal2 Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Um how does she "deserve it" because she got malaria? Divorce? What about all the other malaria folk and divorcees?

Simon moved mountains to get her on the show; she isn't talented regardless of that press release.. In her 1st 2 years she had been given the strongest categories and was helped by Simon behind the scenes. She has been handed something on a plate by Simon again. in what universe has she spotted and nurtured talent? She didn't know what to do with alexandra and damn near lost her till Simon stepped in, and then after that competed with her on the charts.

What was the point in Simon pretending that loads were in the running only to have had reserved all 3 slots. If it does transpire that pauler is on the panel, the show deserves to flop.. as it is it probably won't.

What sort of person leaves the more inifinitly talented artists on his roster to flounder and rot while move mountains to male it happen for one the judges?

The only consolation is that they cannot make it into the

The same kind of person who selects no talent "singers" like Dannii Minogue, Cheryl Cole and Paula Abdul to judge singing and then hires a gifted singer like Nicole Scherzinger to host.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dannii has grafted tho. And pauler (hehe) was a sick choreographer.. P
  • Jem19876Jem19876 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And how did that toilet attendant get those black eyes? By walking into a pole?
    Probably because Cheryl hit her. This has never been contested by Cheryl or anyone else.

However, I was asking you about the "very racist language" that is claimed is "remembered" by a large proportion of the British public. I'm still wondering why you think that these people who are utterly confident she did this and think it's OK to repeat it, despite being legally not guilty? This was only ever reported in a trashy tabloid by a woman selling her story, and found not to be plausible in court. So the real question is why you think it's OK to believe that, whilst seeing fit to criticise people who believe what they read in "trash magazines"?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions on Cheryl, but I choose to ignore anyone who suggests she is racist on the grounds of them being irrational and with no ability to form a balanced view.
  • Ash's ManAsh's Man Posts: 7,165
    Forum Member
    Good for her. She's done very well for herself and I'm one of the few who thinks she is very good at judging talent. Far better at it than Simon IMO. However, I do hope she doesn't go embarrassing herself by performing on the US version, she shouldn't really promote her music out there. In America, unfortunately people are used to hearing popstars sing well... If she does want to perform, I would actually reccomend miming. America have stars like Michael Jackson and Beyonce, the standard they're used to is completely different from the UK's 'anyone can be famous' attitude. Cheryl's good at judging, she should just stick to that.
  • AerickAerick Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BReal2 wrote: »
    She already has against her the facts she's never released music in America and isn't famous here. If he really intends to put Paula Abdul on the panel and have Nicole Scherzinger host then it will show just how lacking Cheryl's fame is in America and how undeserving she is of the job. I find it odd he selects women who can't sing to work with and sticks a talented singer like Nicole with a hosting job.

I cannot imagine Nicole taking a Hosting job. That would be entirely beneath her vis a vis a judging gig. She's cannot be that desperate. I'm not even sure it's Paula who will be on the panel. I cannot imagine the public wanting an "American Idol 2". Plus, she left due to monetary negotiations. Considering the success of American Idol with JLo and Steven Tyler, I don't think they feel they made a mistake. Paula still would be liked by many people however..
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aerick wrote: »
    I cannot imagine Nicole taking a Hosting job. That would be entirely beneath her vis a vis a judging gig. She's cannot be that desperate. I'm not even sure it's Paula who will be on the panel. I cannot imagine the public wanting an "American Idol 2". Plus, she left due to monetary negotiations. Considering the success of American Idol with JLo and Steven Tyler, I don't think they feel they made a mistake. Paula still would be liked by many people however..
    Then how about Nicole judges and Paula hosts :eek::p:D
  • James TJames T Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aerick wrote: »
    sorry, I had no idea who I was quoting. it was a bit jumbled.But this is exactly correct. When AI first started, the GIMMICK of the show was the horrible joke auditions (remember William Hung doing that Ricky Martin number?), it was fun to see and was perfect 'water cooler' talk at the office. Plus there was this acerbic Brit who we loved to hate. "You can't sing. You can't dance. What do you want me to say?". Then there was Paula, who really did have a history with the American public. Starting in the late 80s to the late 90s. People liked her, remembered her and welcomed her back. Randy was there and grew on people. BUT still, you have to have something to pull them in. US XF does not seem to have that. It remains to be seen if Simon is past his draw now, will the public welcome him back? He alone is not a draw. Oh for sure, the show WILL be watched by many at first, but it remains to be seen if they wil come back week after week. Americans are a fickle audience. In no way is Cheryl Cole a draw. We have no history with her, no adoration or sympathy or desire to see her. Fresh face, fresh demeanor or not. We see new and fresh on a daily basis on program(me)s such as these. Simon's going to have to bring out the big guns for the other judge. Now way will Cheryl be top female on this show. She may be 'one' of the females, but not top dog. I'm afraid she will be squashed by a more popular American singer if Simon goes that route. I've nothing against Cheryl Cole, it's just a bit odd about her selection.

In selling Cheryl to the US public, no doubt they'll hype up the success of her music career in the UK, but that rather misses the point. Yes, she was known in the UK pre X Factor, but she wasn't a major star. Her now huge celebrity profile in the UK comes mostly from her role as a X Factor judge, where she excelled. That makes her a very different prospect from Victoria Beckham.

It's true that she'll have no initial draw for a US audience, so they'll probably need a 4th judge who can pull people in, but don't expect the higher profile performer to eclipse Cheryl when it comes to the actual business of judging.