Options

The use of "You was" and "We was" in EastEnders

lilymclyntyre95lilymclyntyre95 Posts: 247
Forum Member
I just saw a discussion on some soap forum. People on there were discussing the use of incorrect grammar being used in EastEnders. Many posters were saying that loads of the characters,particularly Ricky and Dot,regularly use the words "you was" and "we was" instead of "You were" and "We were"

I personally don't see the problem with it and thought some of the reactions were funny(You'd have to read it to see) although it got me thinking. One of the posts on there asked if it was a London thing and did all Londoners say "You was" and "We was"

As I'm from Ireland and never being to the UK,I wouldn't know. But I was wondering,is it common in the UK to say things like "You was" and "We was" instead of "You were" and "We were"

I'm not being ignorant,I'm genuinely curious :)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,314
    Forum Member
    im from london and yh it is a common thing to say you was or we was like etc. dont know why lol
  • Options
    Seamus2008Seamus2008 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chelsea Fox used to do it loads as well.
  • Options
    GaditanoGaditano Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is common. In more ways than one. ;)
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seamus2008 wrote: »
    Chelsea Fox used to do it loads as well.

...and ahe used to say arks instead of ask.
  • Options
    EE_1_FANEE_1_FAN Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes and no. It's common in poorer societies but higher class people wouldn't speak like that not even in London. But in Walford the true East End, probably!
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Working class language codes. I am surprised by the lack of swearing in the programme. Where I live, it is "f" this every five minutes from the guttersnipes who obviously can't be bothered with going to school and learning to speak in the manner expected of a lady.
  • Options
    riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    ...and ahe used to say arks instead of ask.

I have noticed that this is a common mistake made by black people generally! Especially in America! On Judge Judy you hear them all the time saying aks instead of ask!

And no! I am not racist, just making an honest observation!
  • Options
    MCALLY21MCALLY21 Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    It's common across the country, infact I know 'posh' kids who do it on purpose to sound more 'street' :D:D!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the posts on there asked if it was a London thing and did all Londoners say "You was" and "We was"

We definitely do not :eek:

I wouldn't say it's a UK thing as such, just a bad grammar thing! Unfortunately though, a lot of the people in the UK use bad grammar :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We could certainly do without it on one of the most widely watched TV shows in the country. EastEnders has a lot of young viewers and the use of bad grammar, no matter how authentic to the east end, just sets a bad example.
  • Options
    SoniccreamSoniccream Posts: 1,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is more common in the south rather than the north of England
  • Options
    Sarah.OXSarah.OX Posts: 1,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a teen and hate using "You was" and "He was" I have friends from Darford that say this,it drives me mad! :p I agree that it's strange they use it in EE,surely the scriptwriters are able to speak proper English? Maybe it's done on purpose?
    They do it in Hollyoaks do,the bad grammar thing. They don't say"You Was" or "We Was" though. I've heard Mercy say "I weren't" instead of "I wasn't" numerous times!
    It's not a UK thing though. I think every place there will be people that have bad grammar. Like OP,I live in Ireland. Over where I live instead of saying "I didn't do anything" we say "I didn't do nothin" This includes me,even though I try to speak properly :P
    I must admit from watching EE I rather mistakenly drop in an ocassional "You was" or "We was" in a conversation with my parents. They're not impressed and usually accuse me of having very bad grammar :p
  • Options
    Eve3275Eve3275 Posts: 1,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sarah.OX wrote: »
    I'm a teen and hate using "You was" and "He was" I have friends from Darford that say this,it drives me mad! :p

"He was" is correct.

Sorry, but the pedant in me just couldn't resist. :p
  • Options
    agatha_crispiesagatha_crispies Posts: 31,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's technically incorrect but reasonably widely used, especially in the southeast. It's colloquial grammar, reflects actual usage and is acceptable, I think.

Compare/contrast Coronation Street's occasional "I were going to...." "I were listening....." etc. Lancashire/Yorkshire dialect grammar. It's incorrect, but pinpoints a British region.
  • Options
    Hollo and GonchHollo and Gonch Posts: 4,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's very common in my part of the world. I say it myself quite a lot :o

EastEnders is just reflecting the language used in the area (to a small degree).
  • Options
    PacinoFanPacinoFan Posts: 3,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its bad grammer. Television teaches, public learns.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    its funny how people have such an opinion on this - people have regional accents and use incorrect grammar all the time and its generally accepted - but if you are a londoner..we get called guttersnipes and commoners....i generally speak okay but i am a proper eastender and do tend to slip into my own accent, its not being uneducated...people are so judgemental...when i meet people and start speaking they are actually surprised at the fact that im a successful woman, they expect me to have four children and living on the government's money.

Speaking a certain way has no bearing on anything in my honest opinion....when i first started work i used to be very self concious about it because of people looking down their noses at the "commoner" but the more i tried to speak "properly" the worse i sounded, i just sounded like someone trying to be something that they so obviously was not! hyacinth bouquet springs to mind!!!

Im not ashamed of where i come from...and people tend to like me all the more for it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    PacinoFan wrote: »
    Its bad grammar. Television teaches, public learns.

Bad grammar annoys me too, so I quite enjoyed it when Ashley tried to correct Billy's use of apostrophes during his first scene. I wish they could have had him do more stuff like that though, since many viewers don't seem to be very good at grammar or spelling.

Sometimes I watch with the subtitles on, and they once displayed Ricky saying "could of", which angered me quite a lot. People with grammar like that shouldn't get a job based around language, but that's probably a rant for a different thread.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:mad::mad::mad:

I admit, I am a total Grammar Nazi...at every instance of a grammatical mistake, I get furious...especially with 'you was'....:mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    i get the hump when subtitles put t' instead of the...as in

go t'pub - ive seen this on corrie many times!!!
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    whu13 wrote: »
    We definitely do not :eek:

I wouldn't say it's a UK thing as such, just a bad grammar thing! Unfortunately though, a lot of the people in the UK use bad grammar :(

Ironic when the language and it's rules evolved here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sarah.OX wrote: »
    I'm a teen and hate using "You was" and "He was" I have friends from Darford that say this,it drives me mad! :p I agree that it's strange they use it in EE,surely the scriptwriters are able to speak proper English? Maybe it's done on purpose?

"He was" is correct ;).

He was
    She was
    I was.
    John was.
    It was.

You were
    We were
    They were
    If I were
    I wish I were
    They do it in Hollyoaks do,the bad grammar thing. They don't say"You Was" or "We Was" though. I've heard Mercy say "I weren't" instead of "I wasn't" numerous times!
    It's not a UK thing though. I think every place there will be people that have bad grammar. Like OP,I live in Ireland. Over where I live instead of saying "I didn't do anything" we say "I didn't do nothin" This includes me,even though I try to speak properly :P
    I must admit from watching EE I rather mistakenly drop in an ocassional "You was" or "We was" in a conversation with my parents. They're not impressed and usually accuse me of having very bad grammar :p

Which is a double negative and actually means you did do something :D.
  • Options
    bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member
    In'nt, In'nt!!
  • Options
    Forum Member

It's bad spelling :p.
  • Options
    computermastercomputermaster Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    :mad::mad::mad:

I admit, I am a total Grammar Nazi...at every instance of a grammatical mistake, I get furious...especially with 'you was'....:mad:

So you was pretty mad about the situation then?