Emetophobia - anyone been helped? And what is normal behaviour?

ikkleosuikkleosu Posts: 11,494
Forum Member
✭✭
I started a thread about this about 6 months ago but not much response, thought I'd try again.

My emetophobia has got so bad the past month or so, not sure why though could be a variety of reasons I'm anxious and just focussing it all on this particular fear as our brains are want to do weird things like that.

I spoke to my doctor about it a couple of weeks ago but she was fairly dismissive, just seemed surprised and like she didn't know what to say. She asked if I could not just rationalise that I'd be okay if I was sick etc, I said I knew logically it was nothing to fear but that didn't help.

She said there was over a year waiting list for councelling so no point, and just gave me a self-help website address (mood juice).

The phobia is really specifically focused on norovirus now, which is everywhere just now. And for the second time this year, someone was in my house and developed the starts of norovirus. As before tonight I went practically hysterical, became extremely upset and am still crying now and know I won't be calm until at least 48 hours have passed.

I just don't want to live like this, i feel how much it's spiralling - the thoughts I'm beginning to have about not wanting to go out, see people, have people in my house just in case they get ill, washing my hands a lot more etc.

Has anyone had any treatment that has helped CBT, therapy, hypnotherapy, medication?

My mum said I should try the doctor again and explain how I'm feeling and maybe I'd get some mild anti-depressants (like my friend who has severe OCD and is much better on them).

I am also considering paying privately for hypnotherapy, anyone had experience of that?

Also, can anyone who DOESN'T have it explain a normal reaction to someone coming down with norovirus while at your house? Would you sanitize all the surfaces? Just wash your hands/change the towels? I;m trying to find what's normal/sensible behaviour and what's phobia control behaviour.

Any replies gratefully received.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first thought would not be about me getting ill, i would want to look after that person, my mind really doesn't work the another way.

I would of course wash my hands and the towells and keep areas clean, i would look after that person in regards to fluids any medications, but that is more about my caring nature and also general cleanliness (in regards to towells etc) than thinking about preventing me getting it, that part of my brain doesn't really kick in, the concern part of someone being ill does.
    However, in answer to your question, that is what I would do as a person without your phobia.
  • christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have this, I've had it since a serious bug when I was about 8. If anyone at school was ever sick (primary/ secondary) I would stay away from school for a week, that's how scared I am.
    I'm 29 now and I carry alcohol gel around with me. I work myself into a state when someone I know is sick, I get myself into a right panic and almost faint.
    I'm not sure what you can do to be honest, my doctors have never been able to help.
  • ikkleosuikkleosu Posts: 11,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Swinetown wrote: »
    My first thought would not be about me getting ill, i would want to look after that person, my mind really doesn't work the another way.

Thsanks so much for your reply. I think one of the things I find so upsetting about the phobia is how uncaring it makes me. I am generally a very caring person and am very good in any other kind of crisis (emotional or accidents) at looking after people. I've helped people who have collapsed in the street etc but once it's about someone having a stomach bug it all switches off.

I can't think of anyone or anything else, have huge "flight" instinct and can't even imagine how anyone could poissibly volunteer to spend time with someon suffering ut. And what makes it even worse is my mum is like you one of those caring lovely people who wouldn't give it a second thought.

I want to be like that to be able to look after loved ones or at the very least be able to cope with them being in the same house.

I guess it is like any phobia though. I would happily get up on stage naked, tell jokes dance or give a speech - something I am sure other people would be thinking the same way as i do about dealing with people being sick. They coudlnt imagine how I could cope.

I just need to figure out how to challenge and break those thought processes with or without my doctor's help.
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised more people don't have this with all of the health scares in the media etc.

I don't think you should try to do this alone. Make your doctor listen and tell her how much it disrupts your life etc - maybe bring your mum or someone else with you for support?

If you can afford it, maybe you could try hypnotherapy while you're waiting to see someone. CBT sounds like it might be beneficial - I'm on a waiting list to see someone myself. Keep fighting. You deserve to be happy and this is obviously causing you distress. Good luck :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    I'd also recommend trying CBT. I was going to suggest self referring to IAPT for some CBT sessions if your GP isn't very helpful but I noticed you're located in Dundee and it seems Scotland doesn't have IAPT services :(
    If you were already considering paying privately for hypnotherapy maybe you could look into the possibility of private CBT sessions?

I'm wondering though if there is another GP you could see who will maybe take your phobia a bit more seriously before you pursue paying for treatment, your current GP doesn't seem like she realises what an impact this is having on your life. If it was so easy to rationalise things people wouldn't have phobias or OCD in the first place, somebody a little more understanding may be able to get you the help you need to overcome your emetophobia.

I wish you all the best, with the right help you can overcome this :)
  • ikkleosuikkleosu Posts: 11,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks so much for the lovely replies. :) I am definitely going to go back to my doctors next week, although I'm swithering whether to see the same doctor (as she is the one in the surgery who knows me best, has treated me for over 20 years) or see someone new who won't know me so well but might be more open to listening? I'll talk to my Mum about possibly coming in with me to help get across how badly I'm being effected.

I think the problem I had was I only get tearful, shaky etc when I'm actually feeling it and when I saw the GP i was feeling fine so don't think she really got an idea of how much I think about it every day, how stressed I feel and how restrictive it's making my life.

I will also find out if there's a CBT therapist or hypnotherapist i can see privately - I can't really afford it but I'm sure my Mum would help out because she's seeing how much it's effecting me.

Ironically, the person who came down with norovirus here last night and went home is trained in CBT! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    I have emetophobia. It totally takes over my life. This time of year is the worst because of that awful norovirus bug seemingly being everywhere. It's been constantly on my mind for the past few weeks but i've been reading up about it and have worked out that I only have about a 1.5% chance of getting it even though it seems to be everywhere, so that does give me some confort.

I currently see an NHS counsellor type person and i've told them about it. I'm now on the waiting list for CBT but it could be some time before I get to see anyone as the waiting list is apparently very long.

I don't even know what triggered it all off but for as long as I can remember i've been absolutely terrified of being sick. I have other anxiety issues but I think a lot of it is down to my emetophobia. I very rarely leave the house these days and I don't work anymore. I sometimes wonder if all this is because of my phobia and if so it's bloody ridiculous! :(
  • Amy76Amy76 Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also have this phobia. It is a total nightmare and especially at this time of year with the dreaded Norovirus about. I can't tell you how terrified I am of catching it.

I nearly had a nervous breakdown because of it about 7 years ago - couldn't leave the house for about 2 months due to the anxiety it caused.

I found the GP completely useless - I saw about 5 different doctors and none of them had heard of Emetophobia and were no help whatsoever. One tried to give me antidepressants and another gave me a homeopathic remedy. I took neither of these medications.

I ended up paying privately to go to a hypnotherapist. I went four times and I did find it beneficial in terms of dealing with the symptoms of anxiety, but it has not cured the phobia. I honestly don't believe there is a cure for this particular problem.

I cope on a daily basis with the knowledge that the virus is not airborne and as long as you keep your hands clean you can dodge catching it. I am also worried about food poisoning so I don't eat out much.

It is a terrible thing to deal with, but I have not been sick in 25 years, so do feel some comfort from that and knowing that my safety precautions are working!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Emetophobia is actually pretty common amongst those that have a phobia and by that I mean a proper, debilitating phobia that affects their life to some degree or other.

I have it but the severity comes and goes depending on other things going on in my life (basically how stressed I am). Currently I cannot bear the word si*k, nau*sea, v*mit, or b*g (can't even type them) and feel angry if someone utters them in my presence (weird or what!) and have to block them out of my mind.

I wash my hands a lot and on a recently holiday someone in our group had some kind of stomach virus and I tell you my hands were red raw by the time we came back! I am also very adept at opening doors with my elbows :cool:

But how to help? Personally I found emetophobia forums UNhelpful because whilst it's good to know you're not alone, you 'learn' new ways to be freaked out by your phobia and it didn't seem like anyone was making any progress towards getting better.

I think CBT is worth a try, and anything that makes you more healthy generally (mentally and physically) will improve your mood and might make your symptoms less severe.

That's my experience anyway.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had it badly in my teens. Not aware there was such a thing at that time - at least there is online now, and you can find other people and advice.

Strange to say, I was cured of it once instead of avoiding being sick, I just was. It worries me less now than it did. I hate my kids being sick and still run out of the room if someone else is sick but as for being ill myself, it worries me far less. I did nothing - had no therapy, or treatment. Just realised I had to man up and go for it, rather than avoid it - if I felt ill.

When I was a primary teacher I knew it might be a problem with kids throwing up but luckily only happened to me once, in all my time, that a kid threw up mid lesson and we happened to be in the gym so I evacuated it and got the caretaker to deal with both the sick and the child.
  • paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have lived with it for years and with norovirus at it's peak it is difficult. Guys, hand gels do not kill norovirus, you need to wash your hands for 20-30 seconds give it some welly between your fingers etc. rinse under running water for 10 seconds. Use bleach to clean surfaces. I just wish people with the virus would stay indoors for the recommended 48 hours after symptoms have stopped, or do the decent thing and wash their hands properly. This is my training as an health care assistant. When I have been out the first thing I do it wash my hands. Doctors don't take this seriously maybe because it is so common. Fellow sufferers have my sympathy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    Under Ice wrote: »
    Emetophobia is actually pretty common amongst those that have a phobia and by that I mean a proper, debilitating phobia that affects their life to some degree or other.

I have it but the severity comes and goes depending on other things going on in my life (basically how stressed I am). Currently I cannot bear the word si*k, nau*sea, v*mit, or b*g (can't even type them) and feel angry if someone utters them in my presence (weird or what!) and have to block them out of my mind.

I wash my hands a lot and on a recently holiday someone in our group had some kind of stomach virus and I tell you my hands were red raw by the time we came back! I am also very adept at opening doors with my elbows :cool:

But how to help? Personally I found emetophobia forums UNhelpful because whilst it's good to know you're not alone, you 'learn' new ways to be freaked out by your phobia and it didn't seem like anyone was making any progress towards getting better.

I think CBT is worth a try, and anything that makes you more healthy generally (mentally and physically) will improve your mood and might make your symptoms less severe.

That's my experience anyway.

I agree about the forum thing. I recently read something on here about someone who uses their car keys to press the buttons on ATMs to avoid catching germs. That had never occurred to me before (even though I don't like touching them and make sure I wash my hand thoroughly ASAP) but now i've started doing the key thing too.
  • sands11sands11 Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suffered from this as a child and in my teens. It was made worse when I started suffering from migraine which made me really ill.

I agree with the person who said you just have to face it. I started to get over it when I had children, I had to look after them when they were ill, I couldn't run away.

It really does work to change your approach and realise that it's not something to be scared of. I think the fear is linked to anxiety. I noticed that when I had a few drinks and was relaxed if someone was ill as they had one too many it didn't bother me.

I don't know if any of this helps but good luck. I agree that you should stay of phobia websites too, they make you worse.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    I'm not bothered If other people are si*k if it's not something I can catch (e.g. they've drunk too much) and I agree with sands11, I've got kids and when they're ill I look after them (although internally I'm freaking and the hand-washing increases). I know of some people who cannot look after their children, their phobia is that bad.

Also, after a few drinks my fear of food poisoning is lessened, meaning I'm more able to 'risk' a takeaway or similar. Not that I'm advocating heavy drinking of course!
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Swinetown wrote: »

I would of course wash my hands and the towells and keep areas clean, i would look after that person in regards to fluids any medications, but that is more about my caring nature and also general cleanliness (in regards to towells etc) than thinking about preventing me getting it, that part of my brain doesn't really kick in, the concern part of someone being ill does.
    However, in answer to your question, that is what I would do as a person without your phobia.

I don't have this phobia, nor do I have a caring nature.

I'd get them out of the house as soon as possible, pay special attention to anything they had used (cups, towels etc), and be mad as fire with them for visiting me if they felt ill, and putting me at risk.

I'd be a bit concerned about myself until I was sure I wasn't going to get ill.

So, though your reaction is a bit more pronounced than mine, OP, I don't think you are being too OTT.
  • gertrude hubblegertrude hubble Posts: 1,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to get really panicky and work myself up into a real state too but this changed when I had kids. As others have said you have to deal with babies/children throwing up and I didn't want to pass my fear on to them. I still get a bit panicky when having to deal with my kids but I don't run away. If it's me then I just get on with it. I've had two bouts of food poisoning in the last 9 years and that does kind of help you get over it after you've thrown up for the 4th time in an hour!

Interestingly I saw a preview for a program on emetophobia which is on this week on one of the satellite channels Discovery health?

Other than that I have no other advice to give
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alcohol gels don't always help protect you. Novo virus is a virus, most gels are anti bacterial so will not protect against a virus. Boots do sell an anti virus foam. I always take them on cruises just in case but the best form of protection from novo is to wash your hands in hot soapy water. Start singing happy birthday when you start washing your hands and keep going until you finish the little song. That is how long you should was them for, make sure you pay attention to your nails and if you wear rings make sure you pay attention to those too. Don't hold handrails as you walk down stairs, that's another cause on croak contamination on cruise ships if they have an outbreak inboard.