Your Music Collection:

MayfairBlueMayfairBlue Posts: 593
Forum Member
✭✭
Like a lot of other's out there, I've not physically bought a Cd or Vinyl for a fair few years (albeit the seldom odd one).

And my collection has been build through the way mp3s through my computer.

I'm into a few genres of which include pop, house/dance/rave, r&b, and a bit of indie/brit pop covering from the 1980s.

I'm in the middle of my 30s, but having looked at my music files, there's very little I have covering the last couple of years, and my main bulk is from the 1990s.

I don't really pay attention to the likes of radio 1 unless I'm in a public place like a gym, and I used to mainly go into HMV to get up to speed.

I know this obviously various in people's tastes and generations, but is the quality of today's music simply not good enough, or are you simply more allured to material from previous eras?

Comments

• 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps not surprising considering my username, but the eighties form the bulk of my music collection :)

The seventies would be second, then the early nineties. I lost interest in 'new' stuff around the mid-90s
  • Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    My music ranges from early 60s to recent releases although the artists I listen to from recent years tend to be quite obscure.

Most of my music is on CD with a fair bit on vinyl. I use an MP3 player for the train, holidays etc and that's it
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My music collection spans a wide variety of artists. I mostly like '80s and '90s music, but I've got just about every music track from these two decades that appeals to me anyway.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm around the same age as you OP and I listen to a lot of stuff from the 90's. I enjoy 80's music too. I think I probably listen to older stuff more than modern music.
  • MayfairBlueMayfairBlue Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    I'm around the same age as you OP and I listen to a lot of stuff from the 90's. I enjoy 80's music too. I think I probably listen to older stuff more than modern music.

I was taking stock (no punn intended!) and it just made me realize.

To be fair, I've not really bothered to try to keep abreast consistently since 2003, but dipped in and out of various genres.

Some of the new dance/electro stuff is just awful, though I do like Calvin Harris's stuff, and Eric Prydz.

I too tend to listen more to stuff from the 1990s and I thought to myself (even for someone more on the younger side of his age) that I was going through some sort of a mid-life crisis!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Perhaps not surprising considering my username, but the eighties form the bulk of my music collection :)

The seventies would be second, then the early nineties. I lost interest in 'new' stuff around the mid-90s

Haha, I bet a lot of that is filled with the Stock Aitken and Waterman :);)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was taking stock (no punn intended!) and it just made me realize.

To be fair, I've not really bothered to try to keep abreast consistently since 2003, but dipped in and out of various genres.

Some of the new dance/electro stuff is just awful, though I do like Calvin Harris's stuff, and Eric Prydz.

I too tend to listen more to stuff from the 1990s and I thought to myself (even for someone more on the younger side of his age) that I was going through some sort of a mid-life crisis!:D

Lol no it all seems quite normal to me. :)

If you're going through a mid-life crisis then I must be too. :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol no it all seems quite normal to me. :)

If you're going through a mid-life crisis then I must be too. :eek:

:)A temporary cure is JLS, but definitely not Justin Bieber!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haha, I bet a lot of that is filled with the Stock Aitken and Waterman :);)

I am not ashamed to say yes ;)

The late eighties were good times for me and the music takes you back as a reminder of that era. I just wish the fashions of then would come back around he he :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :)A temporary cure is JLS, but definitely not Justin Bieber!!

I'm ashamed to admit that I actually like one of his songs!! :eek::o
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know this obviously various in people's tastes and generations, but is the quality of today's music simply not good enough, or are you simply more allured to material from previous eras?

Well I don't look at genres or "today's" music or anything like that - I just like music, good or bad. I'll listen to anything and everything from whenever or wherever it is. And i'm certainly older than you at 42 :)
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have lots of music Cd's from artists & bands from the 80's to the current date, I also have a vast collection of mp3's, some of which are from cd's that I have purchased & others are albums that I have purchased online. I haven't bought a Now CD in over 10 years, due to the amount of tripe on them.

My main music interests now are 80's & various Metal / Rock / Symphonic Metal bands. Majority of music I purchase is either bought online for the metal cd's as the pricing structure in shops is disgusting for non top 40 material, but 80's compilations, I will purchase from the Supermarket or from HMV.

If I was given the choice out of buying a 1D / Bieber CD or rubbing a blunt knife across my nut sack, then blunt knife on my nut sack would win every time. :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm ashamed to admit that I actually like one of his songs!! :eek::o

I have a confession of my own - and only because this was played a lot on Capital FM, whenever I used to train at my gym!:o:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GuqB1BQVr4
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not ashamed to say yes ;)

The late eighties were good times for me and the music takes you back as a reminder of that era. I just wish the fashions of then would come back around he he :cool:

I was only a kid then, but they were probably the best times of my life, and glad that I was in an era where I had the experience of listening to some of the best music on a cassette/cd through a Sony Walkman.

So many to mention, but loved all the SAW stuff as well as Jacko, Madonna, Pet Shop Boys, Aha, Spandau Ballet, Erasure, Banana-rama, and so on....:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't bought a Now CD in over 10 years

Now 17 was my favourite from 1990. There were a series of them that weren't too bad, but like you, I simply gave up on them and it's been like that for quite some time now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now 17 was my favourite from 1990. There were a series of them that weren't too bad, but like you, I simply gave up on them and it's been like that for quite some time now.

I've just looked at the track list for that, and Disc 2 all I can say is wow :cool: Some dance songs from the start of 1990 I haven't heard in a very long time. Lonnie Gordon is on there too - yay!!
  • TVGirl319TVGirl319 Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am 54, 55 next month, heres my music tastes:

Prince
    David Bowie
    Peter Gabriel
    Fleetwood Mac/Stevie Nicks
    Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
    Coldplay
    Duran Duran
    Dave Matthews Band
    INXS
    Dire Straits
    Pink Floyd
    Moody Blues
    Santana
    Rolling Stones
    Kate Bush
    Bat For Lashes
    Depeche Mode
    Tears For Fears
    Matchbox Twenty

My music tastes cover the whole spectrum between the 60s to now!! You should see my CD collection which comprise of official realeases to downloaded stuff!! I have whole concert tours of all the above listed, as well as outtakes, demos, rehearsals, aftershows, unreleased music, etc.!! I think I have well over 10,000 CDs!!

I have never got around getting an MP3 Player and loading all my stuff onto that, cos I dont think the quality is the same(I deal mainly in FLAC files). Also, I do have a tendancy to sing along and I doubt very much whether the poor unsuspecting public want to be subjected to that!!!!:D:D
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    my collection contains at least one thing from all genre and many decades except weird experimental jazz. i don`t listen to music radio because they play shitty chart/pop crap, if you do it`s no wonder you think there`s no good music being made currently, there`s plenty.
  • JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    Still buying CDs here even the occasional vinyl album. If I download an album I burn it to CD and print my own artwork. It must be something to do with my age :)
    I like to have a physical CD or even a 12 inch LP in my possession.

Latest Vinyl purchases are The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan on double LP audiophile release which plays at 45RPM. Nashville Skyline is next. I bought Tempest on LP plus recently bought a couple of Malaco / Waldoxy soul / blues LPs from Bobby Bland and Artie Blues Boy White. I have about 450 Lps in total dating back to the sixties.

The CD collection consists of most of Bob Dylan's stuff, lots of blues, lots of my type of country (sixties country hits and modern day bluegrass) plus some easy listening jazz and American songbook stuff like Diana Krall, Eliane Elias etc
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sold off my CD collection as everything is now stored on a NAS but I still keep all my vinyl.

I will still buy the odd greatest hits CD as they are often cheaper per track than downloads.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think if you are prepared to put in some time and effort you will find there is some brilliant music being made today, however very little of it finds its way in to the commercial mainstream.
  • richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,893
    Forum Member
    It's said that the music you are into at 12-18, when you listen to what YOU choose, not what you're fed by your parents, is the music you'll love all your life. Everything else just adds to it, but that age gives you the core of what you like. I'm 47 and it definately holds true for me. I do like a lot of new pop, but Capital and Kiss ruin good songs by over playing them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's said that the music you are into at 12-18, when you listen to what YOU choose, not what you're fed by your parents, is the music you'll love all your life.

Those ages certainly apply to the eras some of my favourite songs were released :)
  • SamMcKSamMcK Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those ages certainly apply to the eras some of my favourite songs were released :)

..and as an 18 year old in 2013 I can say that definitively does not apply to me! :D

But i'm trying to build up a vinyl record collection as my music tastes stretch as far back currently as 1926. Sixties acts such as The Beatles, The Beach Boys and Bob Dylan are my main point of interest however. :)
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ive been into pop music since the early 60's, when as a boy i listened to pop music.

i think that todays mainstream is pretty poor, it lacks imagination, its lazy, generic, mass produced commercial sounds. ok some say that you arent looking hard enough...but ive heard that said for the last 40 + years as mainstream has always been looked down on by those looking for more, deeper, 'better' material. my argument has always been that you shouldnt have to look hard for 'better' music, because imho when theres been a strong fashion, its always been reprisented in mainstream albeit at the commercial end of the style.

as i see it, its down to taste.... my collection dips and peaks regarding number of tracks owned per year. so maybe we are in a 'dip', maybe things will improve IF a strong new fashion /genre/style can be popularised.

personally i have what i like from every genre, some more then others...i have very little disco! lol... (and thats a fact ;) )