Radio Coverage, America

missmaisiemissmaisie Posts: 170
Forum Member
I have been a radio listener for soooooo many years but, I think I've had enough now ... even though todays news about Oklahoma is truly awful, I am getting weary of the lead story being about what's happening in America, constantly ...

Why?

News about Ireland, Germany, Spain, Italy, Greece etc. (aside from finance!) would be good ....

Am I alone in this?

Comments

• JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    No you're not alone. I realise that what goes on in the USA is quite relevant to us in the UK but ENOUGH IS ENOUGH ! ;)
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not everything that happens in the US is relevant to the UK. However, American brands, shows, music, films and sports reach a lot of people in the UK. American news channels and websites that are popular here also ensure that anything big that happens in the US reaches a global audience. Shared language makes covering stories there easy. These factors all lead to domestic stories from the US being covered more in the UK than domestic stories from other countries.
  • Mikes MikeMikes Mike Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think after today's events. UK news will be the top priority and the lead headline today...
  • Phil DoddPhil Dodd Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly, as a nation we don't go overboard about our links with others; e.g. we're reluctant Europeans. Secondly, our standing the World has changed – we're no longer a military force like the superpowers, but we're important diplomatically. This reflects itself in our broadcasting.

The only way to get round it is to be selective about what we listen to. Putting on Radio 4 won't give an all-round World view by a long chalk.

A better way is to listen to the World Service, although since the cutbacks, that requires work from us to pick out the best bits. For instance, by looking at this web page :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldserviceradio/programmes/genres/news/current

we can pick out news programmes that give us the variety that we want. And going to the top of that page, we can select other categories from the World Service broadcasting to get variety. It does mean becoming familiar with what programmes are on the World Service, and perhaps listening to them as “listen again” on the iPlayer. There is plenty there, but it means looking around the web pages to identify it.

Purists on this forum won't agree with me, but if we accept that broadcasting over the internet is a way to listen, then we can find plenty of material from elsewhere than America. For instance, the Euronews website has a Euronews radio channel, linked at the bottom of this web page :

http://www.euronews.com/

And this internet radio directory has a large number of non-American news stations amongst their list at :

http://www.internet-radio.com/stations/news/

So yes you're right that we can't just switch on and automatically be presented with a balanced variety of World news, but if we are prepared to do a bit of work for ourselves, we can hunt down suitable material.