Would life be easier if I was straight?

carey579carey579 Posts: 217
Forum Member
Do any other LGBT people feel they have been cheated in a way by life making us predisposed to more problems than straight people?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. The very idea of being predisposed to more problems is utter rubbish.
  • ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it would.
  • littlebootieslittlebooties Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There have been times in my life I had wished I was straight.

I have often thought if I could take a pill to be straight would I? And my conclusion has always been no, but I would like to take a pill that made me live in a world that had no discrimination against sexuality.
  • carey579carey579 Posts: 217
    Forum Member

Don't you think disabled people are predisposed to more problems?

Being gay I feel I need to tackle an extra load of problems on top of the problems everyone has.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carey579 wrote: »
    Don't you think disabled people are predisposed to more problems?

Being gay I feel I need to tackle an extra load of problems on top of the problems everyone has.
    No. I think people with a negative outlook encounter more problems, but I don't think anyone is necessarily predisposed to a more difficult life.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Nah. Life throws up problems whoever you are. Your mission is to make the most of it and enjoy it.
  • CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    carey579 wrote: »
    Do any other LGBT people feel they have been cheated in a way by life making us predisposed to more problems than straight people?

Consider yourself lucky, you could've been born with a predilection for something illegal.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Erm, the answer is 'yes' and anyone who says otherwise is talking pure BS.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I disagree. I can't imagine many, if any, LGBT people who haven't encountered at least something negative, whether it be abuse (physical and mental), discrimination or isolation.

Also, are you forgetting that LGBT still don't have 100% equal rights and can't properly marry the same way straight people can?
    Erm, the answer is 'yes' and anyone who says otherwise is talking pure BS.

Exactly.
  • littlebootieslittlebooties Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straight people don't face homophobia.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree. I can't imagine many, if any, LGBT people who haven't encountered at least something in the form of abuse, discrimination, isolation etc.

Also, are you forgetting that there still isn't 100% equal rights or full marital rights?
    I've never encountered any form of abuse, discrimination or isolation and have full marital rights. Go me!
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes.
    There are worse things that you can have in life through, it's just how it is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asking for a straight person's view on this is kinda like asking a white person about their experiences of racism.

You just wouldn't do it.
  • whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never encountered any form of abuse, discrimination or isolation and have full marital rights. Go me!

Me to I have faced very little if any discrimination. I wouldn't change anything now, I have a good life and a great partner. Life is what you make it no matter what your sexuality.
  • stick_of_rockstick_of_rock Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a gay man who is only recently out to all and sundry, (but is indeed now finally comfortable with being so), I would still say that the answer to this question is definitely a 'yes'.

Also, despite being happy with who I am as a person, I would absolutely press a button to become straight if this was at all possible...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you actually are from the location on your profile then that explains the marital rights, but gay marriage isn't recognised in the UK, which is where most members are from... How easy life is for LGBT people is relative depending on where you're from and you can't exactly say the idea of having it worse is rubbish if you yourself have had it easier than most LGBT people (seemingly).

Maybe not every gay person does experience anything negative (even in 2013 the world still isn't that accepting so it's hard to imagine), but I'm sure most do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Life is what you make it no matter what your sexuality.
    Absolutely. Sexuality is just a very small part of who we are. I really have a problem understanding how it's so problematic for so many people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely. Sexuality is just a very small part of who we are. I really have a problem understanding how it's so problematic for so many people.

What is your sexuality?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because many experience what I mentioned. Many are bullied because of it or experience rejection and isolation, weird looks, rude comments. That's not something in our control, that's what others choose to do because of our sexuality, not how we choose to live our life... And like I said, no marital rights here, which in itself is another reason.

And...

"Researchers have found that suicide among lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender (LGBT) youth is comparatively higher than among the general population. LGBT teens and young adults have one of the highest rates of suicide attempts.[1] Depression and drug use among LGBT people have both been shown to increase significantly after new laws that discriminate against gay people are passed."

Maybe that doesn't answer the question directly but I think it's relevant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you actually are from the location on your profile then that explains the marital rights, but gay marriage isn't recognised in the UK, which is where most members are from... How easy life is for LGBT people is relative depending on where you're from and you can't exactly say the idea of having it worse is rubbish if you yourself have had it easier than most LGBT people (seemingly).

Maybe not every gay person does experience anything negative (even in 2013 the world still isn't that accepting so it's hard to imagine), but I'm sure most do.
    I wasn't exactly handed the right to marriage on a plate - I (we) fought for it in court, after a previous court case to gain the right to permanent residency. Times weren't always as enlightened as they are now. Regardless of that, I still don't consider that I was discriminated against. It was quite an eye opening journey to be honest and one I'm very glad I experienced.
  • rtavy73rtavy73 Posts: 439
    Forum Member
    yes, being straight is hell of a lot easier than being gay, not that I would really know though, I've never been "straight" cock all the way I'm afraid Mr!

I remember praying when I was around 14 to be straight and trying to fancy girls... so I didn't pray my gay away! , but I tried !!!! been in the same relationship for 11 years, would a woman have made me happier... Who knows!!
    I'm less than 3 weeks from hitting 40 and I could never imagine me being straight, I'm happy with my sexuality... that's all I've ever known.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess it depends. You could be straight and say, Indian or African in this country and face a different kind of discrimination in this country. Nothing is ever perfect.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure it would be really hard as a teenager trying to figure out how to come out to your parents. Can't imagine how terrible that would feel for young people, who are all confused, angsty and distressed half the time anyway. Glad I never had to go through that.
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I find this attitude offensive. I'm not black but I can see how it might be hard for some black people, even though there is more to them than race.
    You either have no empathy or you are full of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    I find this attitude offensive. I'm not black but I can see how it might be hard for some black people, even though there is more to them than race.
    You either have no empathy or you are full of it.
    That's your call, Glowbot.

I don't believe that anyone is so one dimensional that their life revolves around their sexuality or the colour of their skin - if that constitutes a lack of empathy then I can live with it.