Options

When Miranda Met Bruce (BBC 1)

LennieLennie Posts: 25,362
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When Miranda Met Bruce
Miranda Hart interviews Sir Bruce Forsyth about his 70-year career in showbusiness, finding out the key to his success and longevity in the world of entertainment.

Just watching this...

I love Brucie - use to watch his gameshows and other things with my late grandma when i was a kid :cool:

Comments

• Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brucie i don't mind but how did unfunny comedians like Sarah Mcwhatever her name is and Miranda get their own chat shows?
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm quite enjoying this, I like watching the old clips, though I think I only remember him in The Generation Game.

I quite enjoyed Miranda's sitcom, though others find her painfully unfunny. I got a bit tired of it towards the end though. Sometimes she can be pretty funny but other times she seems a bit too 'me me me'.
  • Options
    petebluepeteblue Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    I love Brucie and have the utmost respect for his long and gloroius career. I won't watch however because I cannot stand Miranda Hart, she is unfunny and talentless her idea of getting laughs is falling over. I feel sorry for Brucie being inviewed by this hideous woman.
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you look a Bruce it's a pity no one, no one at all has all of his skills in TV of the current generation.

He is the last of the great entertainers.
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »
    When you look a Bruce it's a pity no one, no one at all has all of his skills in TV of the current generation.

I was surprised to hear that he had 16 years of experience before he began presenting Sunday Night At The Palladium. I think that explains a lot.
  • Options
    LennieLennie Posts: 25,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »

He really is

A career like his... he was bundle of energy back in those days, you can see it in all those clips and even now, you can see where it all comes from :cool:
  • Options
    weedledeedleweedledeedle Posts: 8,669
    Forum Member
    .....is that the Chatty Man set? Keep on expecting Alan to come bouncing down that staircase!
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The dollybird dancers have always got my back up.
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Bless him, Brucie is an institution but he cant hold a tune in a bucket. I expect there are better singers on ITV right now.
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aww good old Brucie. Enjoyed that, but why do u suddenly have the urge to watch Strictly.
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    Bless him, Brucie is an institution but he cant hold a tune in a bucket. I expect there are better singers on ITV right now.

Lol I bet you there's not :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .....is that the Chatty Man set? Keep on expecting Alan to come bouncing down that staircase!

I thought that same thing, with the staircase, the colours and the wallpaper perhaps? then the clip with the lady having to wear those glasses lol :D

They claim he's been in the (entertainment) industry for 70 years and that he's 85. The only clips I've seen of him seem to be of him when he was probably in his 30s or older - was he only in smallish productions in his younger years?.
    I didn't know he was in Bedknobs and Broomsticks either :eek:
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »

Hmm, "a career lasting 70 years." That was 20 years too many.
    I just caught a bit of his "singing" whilst changing channels.
    If he were on X-Factor he'd definitely get "four no's."

So why all the fuss?

He's past it, but sadly doesn't know it. He's in danger of being remembered by the younger generations, for stuff like this, rather than his performances thirty and forty years ago.
  • Options
    TheWayItIsTheWayItIs Posts: 4,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    They claim he's been in the (entertainment) industry for 70 years and that he's 85. The only clips I've seen of him seem to be of him when he was probably in his 30s or older - was he only in smallish productions in his younger years?.

Bruce started out in showbusiness at the age of 14, billed as Boy Bruce, the Mighty Atom.
    He used to sing, dance and play the accordion.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great show, loved every minute. Not over the top and with some nice little nods to variety which dominated mainstream tv here for 40 years.

Miranda may be a bit marmite but who isn't today? For me she has enough about her to make for many possibilities in the coming years.
  • Options
    Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was in Variety and the **** end of Music Hall in the late 1940s and 1950s, he is the last of the line in many ways.

I agree, the use of Hart is the BBC's way of pandering to the demographic, she has absolutely no idea the hard work and grind that Forsyth had to endure in order to get a leg up to gain entry into the Temple of TV back in the 1960s.

She ain't worthy to touch the hem of Brucie's garment.
  • Options
    TheWayItIsTheWayItIs Posts: 4,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She ain't worthy to touch the hem of Brucie's garment.

Now she's taking part in a duet.
    Goodness me.
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So why all the fuss?

He's past it, but sadly doesn't know it. He's in danger of being remembered by the younger generations, for stuff like this, rather than his performances thirty and forty years ago.

He has class! To last all that time when many have come gone and been forgotten, he is a living legend.

There is no one left with his skills! The showmen or show ladies have all gone, legends like Tommy Copper, Ronnie Barker, Morecambe and Wise, they were real entertainers.

You come across very rude in your post to Sir Bruce recognised by the government and the Queen for services to Britain.

He can hold down a live TV show of two hours, after all day rehearsals and ad lib when something goes wrong.

He was an executive producer tonight with Miranda and writes on Strictly.

The UK public overall love him.

1 I hope I am alive at his age and 2 I wish I am as fit as him at his age. Real person with real talent unlike the so called talent of people like Simon Cowell whose only claim to fame us being nasty to new talent, Simons 15 mins of fame is now dying, his show in the USA is falling in the ratings.

Bruce tonight showed his diverse talent respect to him, he will retire when he feels it's right go do do and then we will be poorer with that void up filled by any new talent.

Justify, he is last it! Yes he tells some old jokes, so of Ant and Deck, just on a live show he may fluff auto cue, so do others who dare to go live. Most TV today is recorded and edited, so they look good but do not have his talent.

As a boy my Saturday night TV was Doctor Who and the generation game both must see TV, with the Two Ronnie's later, I wish we had the Generation Game back but it needs talent such as Bruce. An all rounder.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe he's a fan of her slapstick comedy? I doubt he was forced to do the show if he didn't want to or didn't like her.
    TheWayItIs wrote: »
    Bruce started out in showbusiness at the age of 14, billed as Boy Bruce, the Mighty Atom.
    He used to sing, dance and play the accordion.

You dont hear many stage names like that anymore.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was surprised to hear that he had 16 years of experience before he began presenting Sunday Night At The Palladium. I think that explains a lot.

It's a pity they didn't explain the clip of him and Norman Wisdom properly. In December 1961 Equity called a strike of its members which prevented any of them from appearing on the Palladium show. But Bruce and Norman were not Equity members so improvised the whole hour-long show live on their own.It is a master class of two great performers and is available on Youtube and from Network - highly recommended if you want to see two legends at work.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    IzzyS wrote: »
    I thought that same thing, with the staircase, the colours and the wallpaper perhaps? then the clip with the lady having to wear those glasses lol :D

I didn't know he was in Bedknobs and Broomsticks either :eek:

I know other posters have covered this, but.
    Hells teeth, there's a world of entertainment besides TV FGS.
    OK this 'world' has shrunk, but it still exists.
    'If you're not on TV, you're nobody'

Anyway dipped in and out, probably download it later, not that I watch anything Bruce is in these days, but I've got some time for the chap, he's a grafter and loves his job, it's nice to see.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know other posters have covered this, but.
    Hells teeth, there's a world of entertainment besides TV FGS.
    OK this 'world' has shrunk, but it still exists.
    'If you're not on TV, you're nobody'

Anyway dipped in and out, probably download it later, not that I watch anything Bruce is in these days, but I've got some time for the chap, he's a grafter and loves his job, it's nice to see.

I know that - I just meant it would have been interesting to see some footage of earlier appearances, thats all. No offence intended.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So why all the fuss?

I would imagine he would be quite pleased about that judging by some of those who have actually got four Yesses. Leona Lewis and one or two others aside X Factor is hardly a byword for quality. Chart sales from cheesy boybands don't count as quality imo.

I thought his performance, given that he is 85, was brilliant tonight. And it was a really enjoyable wander through time.
  • Options
    essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,210
    Forum Member
    Surprised Sir Bruce's sitcom Slinger's Day wasn't mentioned,underrated IMO. No need for the Miranda bashing.
  • Options
    TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bruce Forsyth was a ten a penny song and dance act that got lucky and reinvented himself as an excellent programme host. Ernie Wise did likewise as Eric Morcambe's straight man. Forsyth's sell by date was up years ago but his part has been built up by the usual BBC hype of one of their own.

I always remember him presenting Liza Minnelli with some award. His fawning over her was beyond embarrassing culminating in him asking her if she would do a special with him. Minnelli had the grace to look suitably embarrassed by what was happening and responded with words to the effect of 'I'm not sure who you are but you've put me in a spot be asking me that on stage with no warning so how can I say anything other than of course I will' Needless to say the special was never made.

The less said about Hart the better.