Mark Benton

Comments

• PoppysinbloomPoppysinbloom Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless they put a foot wrong with the choreography, which I can't see happening, I reckon Mark will be one of the last 5-6, may be even as far as 4. He's versatile, funny in that you laugh with him, getting on great with Iveta, she's looking good as a dance teacher and choreographer, and their routines are innovative. Also Mark is working hard at learning to dance to the best of his physical abilities.
  • PoenaPoena Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless they put a foot wrong with the choreography, which I can't see happening, I reckon Mark will be one of the last 5-6, may be even as far as 4. He's versatile, funny in that you laugh with him, getting on great with Iveta, she's looking good as a dance teacher and choreographer, and their routines are innovative. Also Mark is working hard at learning to dance to the best of his physical abilities.

I noticed on Saturday that there was - at last - a discernible difference in his girth. It always takes quite a few weeks to see the results of the intense physical activity the celebs undergo (talking about the more ample celebs here!) and it was also the first time I looked at Deborah and thought "Crikey!" - there's a lot less of her than there was. I remember John Sergeant rapidly diminishing before our eyes once the first few weeks of training were behind him.
  • PoppysinbloomPoppysinbloom Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poena wrote: »
    I noticed on Saturday that there was - at last - a discernible difference in his girth. It always takes quite a few weeks to see the results of the intense physical activity the celebs undergo (talking about the more ample celebs here!) and it was also the first time I looked at Deborah and thought "Crikey!" - there's a lot less of her than there was. I remember John Sergeant rapidly diminishing before our eyes once the first few weeks of training were behind him.
    I haven't noticed this yet but it's good if it's happening as it will improve his posture in hold and help his bounce in latins; he still has the samba and jive as two latins he's yet to do and he'll need bounce for both! I bet their paso doble, if they get to perform one, will be fab. Iveta will go crazy and mark will be able to master any of the roles within the paso.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would like to add my appreciation of Mr Benton. We watched him in Hairspray and then waited at the stage door afterwards for a photo and autograph. He was fantastic in the role of Edna and was a lovely man too. Made time for everyone waiting and genuinely seemed appreciative of the attention. He and Iveta are our family favourites and we are hoping they stay for a while yet
  • jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    Marilliona wrote: »
    Would like to add my appreciation of Mr Benton. We watched him in Hairspray and then waited at the stage door afterwards for a photo and autograph. He was fantastic in the role of Edna and was a lovely man too. Made time for everyone waiting and genuinely seemed appreciative of the attention. He and Iveta are our family favourites and we are hoping they stay for a while yet

That's lovely - thanks for that. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    They are enjoyable to watch and Iveta's choreography matches Mark skills as a dancer, and I hope they stay in for a while.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Marilliona wrote: »

They do seem to have a great relationship and he seems like a genuinely lovely man. Definitely our family favourites too!!
  • Butterfly8588Butterfly8588 Posts: 701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I adore Mark! His dance to MC Hammer was legendary! I've lost count of how many times I've watched it again on youtube! I look forward to his dance every week.
    P.S. Is it me or does he look like Harry Potter 30 years down the line when he has his glasses on?!
  • nyannienyannie Posts: 8,536
    Forum Member
    They are enjoyable to watch and Iveta's choreography matches Mark skills as a dancer, and I hope they stay in for a while.

Agree. Mark seems a genuinely nice person and really takes on board any criticism. I really hope he stays for a long while. He works very hard and really has talent - unlike Dave - who should really go this week.
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    By far my favourite. Always been a fan of him from Early Doors, Northern Lights, etc, and now I'm thoroughly behind him. He's showing improvement more rapidly than anyone else, is a genuinely nice, likeable man, and has a wonderful partnership with Iveta - which you get the feeling is a mutual partnership rather than a reliance. They work brilliantly together and I really enjoy watching them every week. I fully expect Mark to survive at least another 4-5 weeks longer and I really hope he makes it to the last few weeks. I think he could definitely do it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love him. I loved Iveta last year as well, and I'm delighted that both of them are living up to the potential I thought they had. Sorry Ben, this is the best J-word you'll see this year :D
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    By far my favourite. Always been a fan of him from Early Doors, Northern Lights, etc, and now I'm thoroughly behind him. He's showing improvement more rapidly than anyone else, is a genuinely nice, likeable man, and has a wonderful partnership with Iveta - which you get the feeling is a mutual partnership rather than a reliance. They work brilliantly together and I really enjoy watching them every week. I fully expect Mark to survive at least another 4-5 weeks longer and I really hope he makes it to the last few weeks. I think he could definitely do it.

He tries and that is showing because he is improving.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's very encouraging to see all this positivity - if there's a dedicated little band of followers here, there's very likely a tranche of the wider viewing public who feel the same. And if he can continue to improve technique and fitness hopefully that might grow.

I thought I was being overly optimistic in feeling that he just might get through to the last half dozen or so, with at least some of that optimism fuelled simply by my affection for him as an actor. But perhaps not eh? :):)
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's very encouraging to see all this positivity - if there's a dedicated little band of followers here, there's very likely a tranche of the wider viewing public who feel the same. And if he can continue to improve technique and fitness hopefully that might grow.

I thought I was being overly optimistic in feeling that he just might get through to the last half dozen or so, with at least some of that optimism fuelled simply by my affection for him as an actor. But perhaps not eh? :):)

I would like him to outlast Dave, Fiona and Rachel (bless her, I do like her though).:)
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember thinking when he was announced on the show, he was probably the one that was least predicted (if at all, I certainly don't recall it on here) and in that sense the biggest surprise for me that he was competing. He's also been a surprise in the sense of how he's engaged with it, I really wouldn't have expected him to do it, though Iveta's been key to that as well I am sure. I do feel a bit sheepish that I expected him to be not very good at the dancing, even though it's a work in progress he's much better in that respect than I had imagined. I really hope he gets quite a lot further in the show.
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »

Pickles!:D

Did you know that, Linus?
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    Muggsy wrote: »
    Pickles!:D

Did you know that, Linus?

I did. :D

Hey Ken, when's that Pickles question coming up?
  • lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love him. I loved Iveta last year as well, and I'm delighted that both of them are living up to the potential I thought they had. Sorry Ben, this is the best J-word you'll see this year :D

Well here we go again:D. I agree 100%. I loved Iveta last year, and I loved Mark since seeing him in the first episode of New Doctor Who (first person to die on New Doctor Who:eek:).

They are absolutely delightful, they have the full package of improvement, enjoyment, entertainment and likeable personalities.
  • tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    I remember thinking when he was announced on the show, he was probably the one that was least predicted (if at all, I certainly don't recall it on here) and in that sense the biggest surprise for me that he was competing. He's also been a surprise in the sense of how he's engaged with it, I really wouldn't have expected him to do it, though Iveta's been key to that as well I am sure. I do feel a bit sheepish that I expected him to be not very good at the dancing, even though it's a work in progress he's much better in that respect than I had imagined. I really hope he gets quite a lot further in the show.

As I recall, on the launch show, they whizzed through his intro in about 3 seconds.

"And this is Mark Benton (*don't bother with any joke attempts Bruce, nobody will know who the chuff he is and he's only the obligatory fat bloke we shoved in to make up the numbers*)...

and Mark, you're going to be dancing with Iveta (*don't make a big thing of this, she's new and doesn't have a fanbase yet*)"

Brief applause and shove them both up the stairs.

I reckon they expected him to be out shortly after (or before) Tony Jacklin.

It's nice to see how much he and Iveta are being talked about (and positively) now. I think he's a fantastic actor and it shows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bornfree wrote: »
    I would like him to outlast Dave, Fiona and Rachel (bless her, I do like her though).:)

I'm finding this year quite difficult and Mark & Iveta have complicated things even more.

Natalie is absolutely superb, I like her, and I loved her as a lil' old soap actress (and would love to know how much more she's capable of - in the acting sphere that is). I'm slightly uncomfortable with her 'previous' but it doesn't bother me that much.

Abbey I love - if she can improve her latin I could probably really get behind her to give her my support to win. She's beautifully fluid and graceful and, I find, quite artless. Very appealing

Anybody else just doesn't quite cut the mustard - Sophie is soooo languid, Ashley is very competent and, extremely likeable but that's about it and I love Susanna's verve and energy. I would like her to do really well just to see the forum get wound up. Sorry if you're one of her detractors.

The trouble is, I like Mark better than any of them - in fact, I like him so much I'd be quite happy to see just anybody go out as long as it's not him!! Probably not a popular sentiment forum wide, but what can I do about it? Eh? :D:D
  • Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm finding this year quite difficult and Mark & Iveta have complicated things even more.

Natalie is absolutely superb, I like her, and I loved her as a lil' old soap actress (and would love to know how much more she's capable of - in the acting sphere that is). I'm slightly uncomfortable with her 'previous' but it doesn't bother me that much.

Abbey I love - if she can improve her latin I could probably really get behind her to give her my support to win. She's beautifully fluid and graceful and, I find, quite artless. Very appealing

Anybody else just doesn't quite cut the mustard - Sophie is soooo languid, Ashley is very competent and, extremely likeable but that's about it and I love Susanna's verve and energy. I would like her to do really well just to see the forum get wound up. Sorry if you're one of her detractors.

The trouble is, I like Mark better than any of them - in fact, I like him so much I'd be quite happy to see just anybody go out as long as it's not him!! Probably not a popular sentiment forum wide, but what can I do about it? Eh? :D:D

I feel exactly the same. I am dreading him getting in the dance off. I am hoping this group is reflected in the voting public. He is a joy both on & off the floor. I look forward to them every week & they never disappoint. I would love to see them in the final frankly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel exactly the same. I am dreading him getting in the dance off. I am hoping this group is reflected in the voting public. He is a joy both on & off the floor. I look forward to them every week & they never disappoint. I would love to see them in the final frankly.

Isn't it nice to have someone whose performance you can anticipate so eagerly on a Saturday night, though?

It's quite a while since I've felt so whole heartedly behind a couple as I do these two. Let's hope the lurve and positive vibes are making their way to them across the ether!:D
    Forum Member
    As I recall, on the launch show, they whizzed through his intro in about 3 seconds.

"And this is Mark Benton (*don't bother with any joke attempts Bruce, nobody will know who the chuff he is and he's only the obligatory fat bloke we shoved in to make up the numbers*)...

and Mark, you're going to be dancing with Iveta (*don't make a big thing of this, she's new and doesn't have a fanbase yet*)"

Brief applause and shove them both up the stairs.

I reckon they expected him to be out shortly after (or before) Tony Jacklin.

It's nice to see how much he and Iveta are being talked about (and positively) now. I think he's a fantastic actor and it shows.

Yes, that made me really cross. They made a huge deal of whether Kristina or Iveta would get Ben and then shoved Mark and Iveta at each other and rushed them off for the group dance like Mark was the booby prize. It was rude, and I love the idea of him doing well.

I'm not really expecting him to stay to near the end, though. I can't see him being saved in the dance off against anyone except Dave and possibly Rachel, and some dances I can't see how he will do physically, however good an actor he is. I'd love him to stay till Blackpool, if there is a Blackpool this year, and I want him to enjoy it as he seems to be at the moment for as long as he is in. That will do me.

But I certainly agree that, while I like lots of people this year, I don't care about any other couple the way I love Mark and Iveta.
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he's quite sexy. Rather be stuck in a lift with him than Dave.
    Forum Member
    I think he's quite sexy. Rather be stuck in a lift with him than Dave.

I'd rather be stuck in a lift with him than Ben or Ashley.