Options

ipad found.

Comments

• Options
    bitchboybluebitchboyblue Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given the person in Iceland rather rude response I'd keep it.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ih8mondays wrote: »
    If they had claimed it on their insurance, would that mean the iPad is now the insurance companies property?!

yes, the owner should let the insurance company know its been found.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given the person in Iceland rather rude response I'd keep it.

If the owner has locked it down, it'd be pretty pointless to do that, although I think you could still go into recovery mode and wipe it ..

But I'd probably be inclined to think the same though if the owner got snippy with me over it.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the thing to do here is just hand it in. it dosent belong to the op and considering sending it to Iceland is ludicrous..

its just un needed aggravation.

6 weeks it will be the ops anyway
  • Options
    semimintedsemiminted Posts: 3,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How did you get pass the 4 digit pin protection ?
  • Options
    RachaleRachale Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    Maybe the owner turned it off, my boyfriend has done this on his iPad as it annoyed him!
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    semiminted wrote: »
    Rachale wrote: »
    Maybe the owner turned it off, my boyfriend has done this on his iPad as it annoyed him!

Yep, apparently it was off and then the owner locked the iPad down remotely after the OP contacted them.
  • Options
    NirvanaGirlNirvanaGirl Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing I would add to this is that IF the owner says they will pay for its return, make sure you choose a method of posting that gives you both a tracking number & requires a signature. The last thing you want is for them to claim you never sent it & use that as a way to claim on their insurance, or you could end up dealing with insurance companies.

Also, make sure you add the extra cost to have it ensured for its real value, or if it gets damaged & isn't fully covered it may well end up being your responsibility.

Get a quote for posting it covering all those bases, tell them how much it is going to be & make sure you have the cash first before you post.

If they don't want to pay the money, then just hand it in at the local police station & explain it to them.
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Here's a novel thought................keep it!:p

Agreed, sell it and have a night out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cheers for advice guys, police station wasnt to bothered so sent email to owner and asked to be reimbursed so waiting for reply then ill send it off to them..

haha no i wont keep it, tbh i dont like ipads.. no use to me anyway now asking for the persons password who set it up or something dont get all this apple stuff. ill stick to my androids lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jojo07x wrote: »
    cheers for advice guys, police station wasnt to bothered so sent email to owner and asked to be reimbursed so waiting for reply then ill send it off to them..

so what if the owner still refuses to reimburse you ?
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    so what if the owner still refuses to reimburse you ?

Take it to the local Police station explain it to them and put it in there lost property. Then e-mail the owner this is where there ipad can be retrieved from.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gds1972 wrote: »
    Take it to the local Police station explain it to them and put it in there lost property. Then e-mail the owner this is where there ipad can be retrieved from.

The OP has already said the police weren't that bothered. And it seems pointless him claiming it after 6 weeks as he doesn't seem interested.

I'd be inclined to wipe it and give it to a charity or old people's home or something like that if it's not wanted and the OP doesn't want to invoke "karma"
  • Options
    tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's already on iOS7, and the owner has locked it down, then there's no way to wipe it.

If you did reset it to factory settings, it still knows it was associated with the original owner's apple ID, and will require you to enter his apple ID and password before you can continue to set up the iPad. It'll be effectively bricked for anyone except the original owner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tellytart1 wrote: »
    If it's already on iOS7, and the owner has locked it down, then there's no way to wipe it.

Not even if you booted it to recovery mode and manually flashed and IOS7 rom file on to it?
  • Options
    tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not even if you booted it to recovery mode and manually flashed and IOS7 rom file on to it?

Nope, Apple have set it up now so that you can't wipe it like that. Same with iPhones - it's to make them less appealing to thieves. What's the point of stealing one if you can't get it to a state you could resell it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tellytart1 wrote: »
    Nope, Apple have set it up now so that you can't wipe it like that. Same with iPhones - it's to make them less appealing to thieves. What's the point of stealing one if you can't get it to a state you could resell it!

I stand corrected then. I remember being able to do it with my old iPhone but if that door has been closed then fair enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm missing something but how did jojo find out the owner lived in Iceland ?
    Just out of interest
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe I'm missing something but how did jojo find out the owner lived in Iceland ?
    Just out of interest

I'm on my mobile so might be wrong but see post #20... it's not a huge thread, have a quick read...
  • Options
    this_is_methis_is_me Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't know about iPads, but on my Nexus 7 I have my phone number displayed on the lock screen, i.e. the screen that you enter the PIN on.

That way, if I ever lose it, the finder could contact me without knowing the PIN.
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure why people suggest taking it to the police station, it is no longer 'lost' property.

Ask for shipping costs, then post back to owner when (if) they cover that cost.
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pasty face wrote: »
    Personally I find this rather cheeky! In fact quite rude actually.

I think you are reading too much into this. The owner lives in Icelend but the OP wrote to him in English. How rude is that? The owner's English might be quite limited.

I you left your tablet here and I wrote to you in Greek, would you send me a polite reply in Greek? Do you even know what might be considered polite in Greek?

I thought not. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ask for shipping costs, then post back to owner when (if) they cover that cost.

The OP has already done that and the owner has baulked at reimbursing him.

At the end of the day, if the iPad is useless and the owner is refusing to cover the costs of it's return i'd either bin it or write one more email to the owner and give him an ultimatum - either pay for the return post or it'll either be binned or deposited into police lost property and left their indefinitely.

Obviously if the OP had wiped it before the owner locked it down, there wouldn't be all this hassle ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    I'm on my mobile so might be wrong but see post #20... it's not a huge thread, have a quick read...

Thanks boss it is post #20

And checked on iPad....pass codes can be turned to OFF setting ....default is on so mr Iceland turned his pass code off or the iPad would have locked needing the 4digit pin to unlock it
    Or the op "found" it within the lock screen time
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks boss it is post #20

And checked on iPad....pass codes can be turned to OFF setting ....default is on so mr Iceland turned his pass code off or the iPad would have locked needing the 4digit pin to unlock it
    Or the op "found" it within the lock screen time

when my family member found it they hadnt a clue how turn it on when they gave it to me to look at i turned it and and there gmail was on it so i emailed them when i went back on it it was locked up..im assuming this is bcos they had put it into lost mode or watever. emailed the guy he said to take it to local post office and get them to send it to iceland and he will pay on his end. didnt think thisbwas possibly but ill pop to post office tmoro and find out.