Smooth National Radio Thread

Comments

• AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Good post Soul Girl, well said! :)

People that love to throw the term "anorak" around as a term of predictable abuse are just rather lazy and lacking in a decent argument. Radio insiders who post on here should be open and grateful that there are plenty of people, perfectly normal listeners at that, who are willing, able and articulate enough to want to express a passionate opinion about radio from whatever viewpoint it comes from.

Smooth Radio? I've all but left it behind now. That is my choice. If others are attracted to its bland, generic, soulless & unimaginatively repetitive output then that is their choice. My hope is that more people take my view and act accordingly, and that the future of radio is not in this pedestrian direction. Unlike Andy Peebles originally, and for a brief time David Jensen, there is absolutely nobody now presenting on Smooth, not one person, who actively would attract me to listen to the station anymore.

Totally agree I have given up on it.
  • BorsantBorsant Posts: 1,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amara wrote: »
    Totally agree I have given up on it.

My point exactly.
  • suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have dipped into smooch today and have to admit Emma B is a breath of fresh air. So much better than Kate Goaway. Emma shoukd keep this slot and put Goaway onto 1 day a week. Sadly global dont like real personalities they like boring tv celebs.
  • soul_girlsoul_girl Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Borsant wrote: »
    Ms Grace by the Tymmes

Isn't it funny how the detractors use their dislike of Smooth to advertise how perceptive, soulful and individual they are, yet talk as if they're victims. And like those affected by Stockholm Syndrome who have a reliance on their captors, have to come back here over and over to tell us they're free of Smooth.

It's not about 'advertising' anything, it's about campaigning for radio that has a wide selection of music and above all that is fun, interesting and entertaining where presenters are allowed to be fun, interesting and entertaining. I just don't get why all of Global's station's formats have to be so restricted in terms of playlists and presenter's speech?? What is so wrong with radio being 'entertaining' with DJ's showing some personality. It's all very well saying people can just 're-tune' to other stations, but the fact is there is becoming less and less choice now with Global being the biggest commercial radio company. It also shows a total disregard for all the many listeners who have been quite upset by all the changes and may not now be able to find a station like or similar to the old Smooth radio.

Perhaps all this derogatory name-calling is an attempt to silence the few who dare to speak up against the 'Global regime!'
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ms Grace by the Tymmes

Isn't it funny how the detractors use their dislike of Smooth to advertise how perceptive, soulful and individual they are, yet talk as if they're victims. And like those affected by Stockholm Syndrome who have a reliance on their captors, have to come back here over and over to tell us they're free of Smooth.

^^ This is exactly the kind of post that makes this thread such a closed shop. You don't want a discussion., you just want people to agree with everything you say.

For the record I am not a 'victim' and have never labelled anyone an 'apologist' either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    soul_girl wrote: »
    It's not about 'advertising' anything, it's about campaigning for radio that has a wide selection of music and above all that is fun, interesting and entertaining where presenters are allowed to be fun, interesting and entertaining. I just don't get why all of Global's station's formats have to be so restricted in terms of playlists and presenter's speech?? What is so wrong with radio being 'entertaining' with DJ's showing some personality. It's all very well saying people can just 're-tune' to other stations, but the fact is there is becoming less and less choice now with Global being the biggest commercial radio company. It also shows a total disregard for all the many listeners who have been quite upset by all the changes and may not now be able to find a station like or similar to the old Smooth radio.

Perhaps all this derogatory name-calling is an attempt to silence the few who dare to speak up against the 'Global regime!'

Exactly spot on.
    But I fear we are wasting our breath. The passive-aggressive posts suggest a debate on the subject is off limits. (Unless the party line is adhered to)
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soul_girl wrote: »

There is nothing wrong with personality radio, but the old Smooth was a failure in London, it barely troubled the RAJAR calculators (it was even beaten by Gold and a couple of Asian stations). It was doing OK in a few other regions but that didn't stop it making losses each year.

Ultimately it will be up to the listeners if they like the new Smooth. If it doesn't work, they will have to change it. There is choice, including BBC Radio 2, Bauer & UTV. Bauer are currently sitting on five national DAB slots, so why are three of them broadcasting the same breakfast show every morning?
    Forum Member
    The old Smooth didn't stand a chance in London it wasn't advertised like Magic or Heart so it's unfair to say it wouldn't have worked. Unfortunately Global only seem to know about less speech and repetition all there stations are like that.
  • dlmccabedlmccabe Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nearly a million listeners in the North West isn't struggling
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dlmccabe wrote: »
    Nearly a million listeners in the North West isn't struggling

....and of course that's exactly the region that was supposed to deliver the Global programmers a bloody nose, but misread the script and listened in greater numbers :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ This is exactly the kind of post that makes this thread such a closed shop. You don't want a discussion., you just want people to agree with everything you say.

For the record I am not a 'victim' and have never labelled anyone an 'apologist' either.

Trouble is Jim the pros and antis have their positions, when you post how crap repetative and bland it is, over and over again, what do you expect us who like it to say?
  • OrmeMacOrmeMac Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    Trouble is Jim the pros and antis have their positions, when you post how crap repetative and bland it is, over and over again, what do you expect us who like it to say?

Except Global has tweaked Smooth Radio already, no doubt in response to some of the posts here and elsewhere. The playlist has been expanded and the much complained about long break at the top of the hour cut back. Shame those "who no longer listen to Smooth" won't know about this...
    Forum Member
    OrmeMac wrote: »
    Except Global has tweaked Smooth Radio already, no doubt in response to some of the posts here and elsewhere. The playlist has been expanded and the much complained about long break at the top of the hour cut back. Shame those "who no longer listen to Smooth" won't know about this...

I did listen this morning for a short time and was surprised at what I heard musically but the jingles are so drab and downright boring. Why can't they use the sung ones they were so much better.
  • OrmeMacOrmeMac Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    Why can't they use the sung ones they were so much better.

I much preferred the Wise Buddah sung jingles that were the package before last. If I recall correctly the most recent sung package was produced in such a way that every time a jingle was played it generated royalties which may not have gone to the current owner. I have to say a like the beds and its easy to recognise the station name and tag line. However, yes, I would like to have had at least some of them sung. Maybe Karaoke jingles are the way forward...
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonny Gould is off to BBC r2 according to Simon bates twitter feed
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The old Smooth didn't stand a chance in London it wasn't advertised like Magic or Heart so it's unfair to say it wouldn't have worked. Unfortunately Global only seem to know about less speech and repetition all there stations are like that.

The 'old' Smooth was heavily promoted in London on TV, busses, taxis, tube etc. They had several advertising campaigns over the years, listeners just didn't take to it. Old Smooth worked best in northern areas which had no Heart or Magic (London format).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Plenty of doubt I'd say. I understand they do extensive research and constantly monitor the progress of the music and style of the station. If they do pay much attention to what's posted here, they'll probably test that against their own data.

Btw the FB page is settling down again as it did after the Xmas changes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I would expect you to post about how good it is. List the pluses, and the advantages of the new Smooth. Tell us why you like it so much (on a personal level, not a corporate one) List all the reasons why the incessant adverts are so enjoyable and so on. :);-)

I understand (thanks to you and others) how they have chosen their music. I don't really agree with it, but I accept that is how they have come to the decision of their play list.

I just wanted a debate.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    Except Global has tweaked Smooth Radio already, no doubt in response to some of the posts here and elsewhere.

There's no way Global would make any changes based on posts on Digitalspy so if you think you have any influence then, as Jimmy Connors points out you are wasting your breath.

For those of you who claim not to be "anoraks" but are passionate about personality radio why don't you invest in an internet radio? You can listen to virtually any station in the world on that. If you are an "anorak" then you can also find plenty of offshore tribute stations (some in AM quality if that floats your boat) and as many different jingle packages as you like.

It's been pointed out before - Global is in the business of making money. Smooth wasn't making any money. Global have changed Smooth so it appeals more to the listeners that advertisers want to advertise to. If you're reading this right now then you're probably not one of them and you probably won't like it. Sorry about that.
    Forum Member
    SouthCity wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with personality radio, but the old Smooth was a failure in London, it barely troubled the RAJAR calculators (it was even beaten by Gold and a couple of Asian stations). It was doing OK in a few other regions but that didn't stop it making losses each year.

Ultimately it will be up to the listeners if they like the new Smooth. If it doesn't work, they will have to change it. There is choice, including BBC Radio 2, Bauer & UTV. Bauer are currently sitting on five national DAB slots, so why are three of them broadcasting the same breakfast show every morning?

If when you say Bauer you mean Magic FM, I gave up with them ages ago due to the same reason I've given up on Smooth, and anyway isn't this the same station Smooth are trying emulate now?? So I don't really see where the choice is there. With regards Radio 2, I never really thought the old Smooth was like (or trying to be like) them, I always thought Smooth had a unique way of feeling 'local' even though it was national. Apart from POTP there's not much else I listen to on Radio 2, I personally prefer BBC local radio, in fact that and Jazz FM are practically all I listen to now, so I'm quite thankful for those stations.
    Forum Member
    Exactly spot on.
    But I fear we are wasting our breath. The passive-aggressive posts suggest a debate on the subject is off limits. (Unless the party line is adhered to)

Yes, I can see what you mean about wasting our breath, but at least we're able to get our viewpoints across without trying belittle anyone. It's nice that there are people who are passionate enough to air their thoughts in a mature manner.
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    Exactly spot on.

I think with Digital Spy debate is usually off the menu in this and other threads. Debate in this thread ended a while back.

The bottom line is that the people who liked Smooth the way it was think the new one is repetative and bland and boring with no personality. The people who like it seem to like the focussed and targeted aproach with music that they like and no dull and un funny presenters talking for endless hours when they could just play a song.

The two sides will never agree and posts vary from just dislike and not agreeding to being downright insulting and rude.

The fact is that commercially (which is the thing that counts) Smooth as it was didn't work, it cost too much and didn't make that money back. As it is now Smooth probably will be more cost effective and in my view sounds better. I didn't like the presenting style of the old Smooth as it was just waffle for the sake of it. at best it was a very low budget Radio 2 and at worst it was just dire. It shows us why Radio 2 costs as much to run as it does, because the quality of their shows is usually good.

When I don't like the presenters I prefer just songs I like with occasional presenter input.

As a programmer I like the way it's sounding as it is consistant and I know what I'm going to get when I turn it on. When it was at it's Peak I admired and enjoyed listening to Magic 105.4
    Forum Member
    Cut6 wrote: »
    There's no way Global would make any changes based on posts on Digitalspy so if you think you have any influence then, as Jimmy Connors points out you are wasting your breath.

For those of you who claim not to be "anoraks" but are passionate about personality radio why don't you invest in an internet radio? You can listen to virtually any station in the world on that. If you are an "anorak" then you can also find plenty of offshore tribute stations (some in AM quality if that floats your boat) and as many different jingle packages as you like.

It's been pointed out before - Global is in the business of making money. Smooth wasn't making any money. Global have changed Smooth so it appeals more to the listeners that advertisers want to advertise to. If you're reading this right now then you're probably not one of them and you probably won't like it. Sorry about that.

Why are you apologising do you work for Global?
  • jon craigjon craig Posts: 1,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems to me the 'blame' for any lack of meaningful debate on this thread can be attributed to both sides. It seems everything has to be black and white, when in reality there are many, many shades of grey. Those against the changes on Smooth (in the main) have resorted to a default position of 'it's crap' and 'Global ruin everything', with seemingly little effort to understand what Global are trying to achieve and why they are trying to do so. Smooth, under GMG, was hemorrhaging money and crucially, failing to attract any kind of audience in London. Whether the radio it produced was good, worthy, and personality based or not is largely irrelevant. Under Global, things had to change. No business buys out another failing business and then changes nothing - it's commercial suicide.

On the other side, however, the pro-Global brigade (of which I confess I am usually one) do lack a bit of humility. To read their posts you would think that everything Global ever touches turns to gold - that everything they have done to date with Smooth is pretty darn perfect, and that their way really is the only way. Sorry guys, that's not the case. Global do sometimes get things wrong, and on occasions make the wrong call. Every business or organisation does. Perhaps recognising this will make you seem a little less hostile. Do you all genuinely believe that Smooth couldn't possibly be any better - that it is the perfect product?

For me, an anorak is someone like the poster further up talking about Wise Buddah jingles and asking about Genesys and Myriad. Just being passionate about music radio and wanting to be entertained in a certain style does not make you an anorak. Whilst it is nowhere near as important, someone wanting to have a say on changes to their favourite station is no different to someone wanting a say on the future of their local hospital. You don't need to be all over the latest Government white paper on NHS reorganisation to have an opinion.

My (professional) opinion, for what it's worth, is that Global are on the right track but need to be careful. This will be a much harder job than Heart or Capital. The older demographic (apologies for generalisations) tend to be more discerning, show more brand loyalty, and are more likely to listen to the BBC than commercial radio. Changing their listening habits and getting them on board as new listeners is a much harder task than doing the same with twenty-somethings. Global may have to offer something beyond wallpaper music radio with the occasional input from a TV celeb to see real audience growth. But, if in the short term, they make cost savings, stabilise, and even slightly grow the audience they have inherited it will be job done....for now.

So does anyone fancy a debate or shall I get my hard hat on? ;-)
  • wirewolfwirewolf Posts: 805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As has been pointed out before, the main reason for the success of Smooth outside London was the lack of competition. Even so, I've felt for a long time that the station has been fairly unfocused. GMG never seemed quite sure whether to keep it soul leaning, or go more easy listening, aim a bit older, or throw in new tracks. The focus seemed to change far too often. This would've shown up in a far more competitive market such as London with much more focused rivals.

I personally find it a little bit too laid back at times, and I feel the music at times is perhaps older than I might have expected - certainly for a station using Buble on the ads. But, I still dip in and out, probably as much as I did before. I'd agree with the earlier point about too much talk though - certain presenters who have now left did talk too much. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out with the ratings though.