Options

Digby Jones - the new troubleshooter BBC2

roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,929
Forum Member
Did anyone else watch this last night? Was quite interesting.

I have some major concerns with the competence of the directors at that company. They looked utterly clueless throughout the whole programme. No accounting knowledge, no apparent planning skills and poor communication with their staff.

I felt sorry for the employees. I also wonder whether taking part in such a programme can backfire for a company when their management come across this incompetent.

Comments

• Options
    The_MothThe_Moth Posts: 7,751
    Forum Member
    I sued the like the program with JHJ but I can't stand Digby Jones so I won't be watching.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I usually like this type of programme and I'm a big fan of Digby Jones but this was rather dull. It could have been so much better.

It looks like their attempt at a rebrand came to nothing: http://www.herefordfurniture.co.uk/
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seemed a very amateurish outfit, God knows how they make money??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There will be thousands of family-run businesses like that up and down the country. They may have a good quality product and have grown slowly over the years but they employ family and friends rather than professionals and then find they cannot adapt when the market changes.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a profoundly tedious programme this was. No resolution at the end either so we`re none the wiser as to the health of the company after changes made/planned.

Just a waste of an hour.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've often wondered why so many companies actually promote themselves saying that they are a "family" company.
    If I were dealing with a company I want to know they are run by people who are in the job as they are competent, not just lucky in who they are related to.
    And I certainly wouldn't want to work in one - knowing no matter how good you are you can never rise to the top - short of marrying into "The Family".
  • Options
    Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judging by some the dates mentioned, it looked to have been filmed surprisingly recently, so maybe the rebrand is still in the pipeline?

Whatever, the show did leave everything hanging somewhat, so it felt like the whole thing was left completely unresolved especially when we had the boss muttering at the end about whether he should retire.

The existing management did seem out of their depth. They're clearly good at making stuff but apart the crazy notion of forever winging the finiancials, I really didn't understand the logic of being a manufacturer who then fills their showrooms with products imported from China. What was the logic to that and why didn't Digby question it further? Don't the imports compete with their own products?

Not branding their products at all seemed weird too. Not sure what was wrong with 'Hereford Furniture' really, although the 'made in Britian' branding was nice and positive. The new brand name, I thought, was awful. I get the idea/concept but until someone explains it, the word is unpronouncible and difficult to spell. In an internet world that seems an utterly mad road to go down.
  • Options
    pward1965pward1965 Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    There will be thousands of family-run businesses like that up and down the country. They may have a good quality product and have grown slowly over the years but they employ family and friends rather than professionals and then find they cannot adapt when the market changes.

I think you're right; they WERE successful until the market changed then they were lost.

A bit scary that they didn't know how to forecast. it's a good job they didn't need to approach the bank for money as they would have got short shrift with such a lack of business planning.

Not sure about Digby Jones as Troubleshooter. He's no doubt very experienced but didn't seem to have the personality of the late John Harvey-Jones. I'll stick with it though.
  • Options
    Balb0waBalb0wa Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    was ok, have you been on their website? i went on, clicked on some drawers, couldn't find the buy button for the life of me.

No wonder they are in trouble

call me dumb but how do you buy that?

http://www.herefordfurniture.co.uk/hereford-oak-2-drawer-filing-cabinet-492-p.asp
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Balb0wa wrote: »
    was ok, have you been on their website? i went on, clicked on some drawers, couldn't find the buy button for the life of me.

No wonder they are in trouble

call me dumb but how do you buy that?

http://www.herefordfurniture.co.uk/hereford-oak-2-drawer-filing-cabinet-492-p.asp

It seems that you can't buy directly online from them, but from other companies that stock their range. It does seem a bit strange, given that they have their own stores but not an online store.

http://www.herefordfurniture.co.uk/find-a-stockist-4-w.asp

The Hygge name has already been used by a company in Bangkok, so that would explain the non-rebranding.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read the very bottom of the page, they don't sell online. It says they're trade only but then they have showrooms.....

I agree it's all very confused and poor - especially given that last night's show will probably have sent visits to their website sky high.

Not a positive customer experience... as you have found. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    so they want an online presence , twitter ,fb etc, but you cant buy online, haha, plonkers.

They should get rid of the shops and importing, and just sell online.

People want to buy things in a couple of clicks these days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They don't do direct online sales. You have to buy through a local stockist: http://www.herefordfurniture.co.uk/find-a-stockist-4-w.asp

The problem is if you sell direct and through retailers then there is a potential for channel conflict. Your stockists won't be happy if customers can buy direct from you rather than through their shop. That's why most manufacturers don't sell direct to the public.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cut out the middle man sell direct to the public, more profit.

they have an ebay store, 2 items on it, :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/hereford-furniture?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
  • Options
    GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DJ is a lawyer who happened on the CBI - very fortunate to have earned such a high profile with no discernible business track record............
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cut out the middle man sell direct to the public, more profit.

It depends. Selling direct works for some products but not for others.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    They don't do direct online sales. You have to buy through a local stockist: http://www.herefordfurniture.co.uk/find-a-stockist-4-w.asp

The problem is if you sell direct and through retailers then there is a potential for channel conflict. Your stockists won't be happy if customers can buy direct from you rather than through their shop. That's why most manufacturers don't sell direct to the public.

In which case, use a second brand name. I know they'd need to be aware of not upsetting their stockists but if one or other channel worked or didn't work, they can home in on the one that does work. There's always going to be a element of the population who want to go to a retailer and browse/touch etc before they buy. They do seem to be making a pig's ear of it all at the moment going by the website and ebay shop!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do wonder why businesses go on these shows, which if used right could amount to an hour's free advertising, yet they inevitably manage to come across badly.

There's inevitably a situation where they ignore or argue with the expert and make themselves look idiots. It's always the same, whether it's Digby in this case, or Alex Polizzi, Gordon Ramsey, Russell Norman etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ten_Ben wrote: »
    In which case, use a second brand name. I know they'd need to be aware of not upsetting their stockists but if one or other channel worked or didn't work, they can home in on the one that does work. There's always going to be a element of the population who want to go to a retailer and browse/touch etc before they buy. They do seem to be making a pig's ear of it all at the moment going by the website and ebay shop!

That's a reasonable analysis. You should be applying for a job as their marketing manager.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do wonder why businesses go on these shows, which if used right could amount to an hour's free advertising, yet they inevitably manage to come across badly.

There's inevitably a situation where they ignore or argue with the expert and make themselves look idiots. It's always the same, whether it's Digby in this case, or Alex Polizzi, Gordon Ramsey, Russell Norman etc.

It would be very dull telly for most viewers if there was no friction though. I suspect the producers contrive, or at least play up, a lot of the arguments in these shows.
    Also I do wonder if the 'experts' actually give the advice in time for a difference to be made - its no good telling a restuaranter to go for a certain style of establishment if they've already signed a lease and bought fittings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    It would be very dull telly for most viewers if there was no friction though. I suspect the producers contrive, or at least play up, a lot of the arguments in these shows.
    Also I do wonder if the 'experts' actually give the advice in time for a difference to be made - its no good telling a restuaranter to go for a certain style of establishment if they've already signed a lease and bought fittings.

BIB - I don't dispute that but the business owners have to give the producers some conflict material in the first place!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BIB - I don't dispute that but the business owners have to give the producers some conflict material in the first place!

True, but there is usually hours and hours of stuff shot thats boiled down into just 60 minutes. I'd imagine you very quickly forget the cameras are there - eventually you'll do something silly.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the drabbest programmes I've ever seen. Dreary company making dreary products with an MD with all the charm of a cockroach.

Digby Jones strutting around the place and making less contribution than the average Business Studies teacher. A completely vacuous man - he had even less vision and creativeness than the board itself. Pathetic waste of space. I didn't always agree with Harvey Jones, but he had more acumen in his little finger than Digby Jones in his considerable frame. And had a personality too. My own business may be small, but I've also built it from nothing and could have given a far more insightful analysis than DJ.

Only goes to show how high you can go if you talk the talk and know the right people. Not that he even talked the talk last evening.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did hear an interview with Digby Jones about this and he did say something very true: "Business is not about a millionaire in a Rolls Royce shouting 'you're fired' to a group of apprentices".

There is scope for a really interesting programme on business. Unfortunately this wasn't it. One of the best I can remember is Back to the Floor. I'd like to see that back as it was a lot more realistic than Undercover Boss as there was no attempt to disguise the boss or explain away the camera crew.
  • Options
    GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    One of the drabbest programmes I've ever seen. Dreary company making dreary products with an MD with all the charm of a cockroach.

Digby Jones strutting around the place and making less contribution than the average Business Studies teacher. A completely vacuous man - he had even less vision and creativeness than the board itself. Pathetic waste of space. I didn't always agree with Harvey Jones, but he had more acumen in his little finger than Digby Jones in his considerable frame. And had a personality too. My own business may be small, but I've also built it from nothing and could have given a far more insightful analysis than DJ.

Only goes to show how high you can go if you talk the talk and know the right people. Not that he even talked the talk last evening.
    As I said earlier DJ is a lawyer by trade, not a businessman at all - he got in at the CBI & has affected the demeanour of a business guru - IMHO a very lucky man to have reached this exalted position.........
    I watched the prog with low expectations & they were not reached - DJ did little to change my opinion of him.