Tommy Cooper

raymartin01raymartin01 Posts: 1,898
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anybody know what happened to the biopic we were promised a while ago starring David Threlfall?

They were showing trailers for it at one time, but it now seems to have disappeared. Legal problems perhaps?

Comments

• i4nic8i4nic8 Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    Are they waiting until 15th April ? (30th anniversary of his death)
  • raymartin01raymartin01 Posts: 1,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4nic8 wrote: »
    Are they waiting until 15th April ? (30th anniversary of his death)

Could be...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be...

Its called "Tommy Cooper: Not Like That, Like This", and is in post production, currently running at 100 mins and due for TV broadcast in 2014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DFI wrote: »
    Its called "Tommy Cooper: Not Like That, Like This", and is in post production, currently running at 100 mins and due for TV broadcast in 2014

Yes, I already knew that much, but when it was first trailled it said 'coming in February' - that's why I was curious as what had happened to it.
  • Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want to see it only for the perverse curiosity of witnessing someone so unlike Tommy Cooper trying to play him in a serious drama. It can't possibly work!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    I want to see it only for the perverse curiosity of witnessing someone so unlike Tommy Cooper trying to play him in a serious drama. It can't possibly work!

In the brief glimpse you got in the trailer, DT looks remarkably like TC!
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thirty years ago next month, since he died! Blimey!
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member

Yes, he died on my 14th birthday but I didn't see it live (thankfully). I was either listening to the radio or we were watching something else ( All Creatures Great and Small, probably) on BBC.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member

That is scary. It does not seem that long ago.

I also cannot believe that the man from Shameless is playing Tommy, I had to look up who he was and was really shock it was the same person.

At least we now have a date now after all the trailers that have been shown.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member

Hard to believe. I actually saw him die on that stage. Watching it on the telly, I remember thinking it was part of the act.

Must say. from the trailers, David Threlfall has done a great job on the physical resemblance.

Looking forward to seeing Amanda Redman as his wife as well. i remember when she left New Tricks she said she was doing this, last year.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's on Easter Monday at 9pm for 2 hours.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's on Easter Monday at 9pm for 2 hours.

Yes on ITV.

I'm looking forward to this.

Note from the cast list that Eric and Ernie, Les Dennis and Dustin Gee are among those portrayed in the show.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Yes on ITV.

I'm looking forward to this.

Note from the cast list that Eric and Ernie, Les Dennis and Dustin Gee are among those portrayed in the show.

In my TV mag they show the actors playing Eric M and Eric Sykes abd Les Dennis.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    30 years ago almost to the exact minute as he fell down dead on stage live on ITV on the Live At Her Majesty's show on the Sunday evening. Recall it well and I was only 14. The speed it happened was shocking. No fuss, just a wobble and down....and out.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched his final performance on YouTube the other night. What a way to go. For the audience to be in hysterics thinking it was a gag. At least he went hearing laughter. I think he would have approved of that exit.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    In my TV mag they show the actors playing Eric M and Eric Sykes abd Les Dennis.

Yes forgot to mention Eric Sykes.

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/cvjp8r/tommy-cooper-not-like-that-like-this
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David looks more like a younger Bruce Forsyth in the publicity photos. :blush:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least he went hearing laughter. I think he would have approved of that exit.

I somehow doubt that's what he was thinking of in his final moments...
  • johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    The timing of his collapse was very good in the sense that it happened at a moment when he would have done it if it had been deliberate - just after one bit and just before he was about to start the next bit. he didn't collapse in the middle of a particular sentence or action, so it looked as if it was deliberate.
  • Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    That's how quick it can happen people!

One minute you are here...then its lights out.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    Flukie wrote: »
    Hard to believe. I actually saw him die on that stage. Watching it on the telly, I remember thinking it was part of the act.

Must say. from the trailers, David Threlfall has done a great job on the physical resemblance.

Looking forward to seeing Amanda Redman as his wife as well. i remember when she left New Tricks she said she was doing this, last year.

So did I and not how I wanted to remember him :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was watching him live, went out to get my wife, so recorded the rest, and caught his death on video... Not nice, still haunts me..
  • allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    myscimitar wrote: »
    I was watching him live, went out to get my wife, so recorded the rest, and caught his death on video... Not nice, still haunts me..

I've just made the mistake of looking at this on Youtube (serve me right) and I'm not surprised it haunts you still. I'm shaking and feeling sick. It was horrible. He didn't die straight away and no one backstage went to his aid. Wish I hadn't watched it now
  • grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,954
    Forum Member
    I share your feelings on this. If anyone hasn't seen it, then don't be tempted.
  • rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allie4 wrote: »
    I've just made the mistake of looking at this on Youtube (serve me right) and I'm not surprised it haunts you still. I'm shaking and feeling sick. It was horrible. He didn't die straight away and no one backstage went to his aid. Wish I hadn't watched it now

In the clip you can briefly see a hand come out from behind the curtain and check him when he fell back, and then his head disappears from view so I think maybe they were doing something backstage