For fans of Crossroads

tonywilsontonywilson Posts: 315
Forum Member
Just a quick email to mention that 2004 is the 40th anniversary of the much loved UK soap Crossroads.

Crossroads was a ratings winner during the 60s, 70s and 80s, often outperforming Coronation Street in the ratings. When it returned in 2001 it also acquired a cult following of loyal fans.

I have started an online petition to persuade Carlton Visual Entertainment to release a "Best Of Crossroads" DVD to celebrate 40 years of the soap.

The petition is at

http://www.petitiononline.com/crossdvd/petition.html

Tony Wilson

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fans ?? Didnt realise there was any thought thats why it got binned !!?
  • tonywilsontonywilson Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    There's still quite a few of us left and if ITV hadn't took it off air in August 2002 to revamp it it probably would have still been on.
  • cobaltmalecobaltmale Posts: 21,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by tonywilson
    There's still quite a few of us left and if ITV hadn't took it off air in August 2002 to revamp it it probably would have still been on.

Have to agree that was their biggest mistake - lack of patience. Here in Scotland I'm glad the BBC have stuck with "River City" which has managed to mature nicely despite poor ratings and critical acclaim at first. ITV don't have the balls.

G
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Early on, EastEnders had low ratings. It takes a while for a programme to build a fan base. People get interested in characters and situations over time and shock tactics and short-lived dramatic storylines don't always mean people are genuinely interested in the show.

It's maybe getting like American TV where shows have to succeed or are dropped very quickly (a few ITV drama series have been shunted to much later slots - as well as the soap Night and Day - or axed altogether very early on in their run).
    Forum Member
    One of the worst casualties to be axed on American TV was My So-Called Life, that show was genious and even the network admits it made a mistake axing it. Basically what I'm saying is I wish more TV companys would take risks instead of churning out endless Plop Idol and I'm A (Z-List) Celebrity, Give Me A Job.
  • SoozycatSoozycat Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    One of the worst casualties to be axed on American TV was My So-Called Life, that show was genious and even the network admits it made a mistake axing it.

Hear, hear. Being from the States, I've been witness to numerous tv injustices like the one you just mentioned. The brilliant shows never get a chance to get off the ground, yet pieces of crap can run for years and years if they have the right time slot.
    Forum Member
    yet pieces of crap can run for years and years if they have the right time slot.

Just look how long The Simpsons has run for and while that was brilliant once it's really gone to the dogs now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was very sad that Crossroads was taken off air.
    The New look Crossroads was good and wasn't given a chance.
    ITV are so ratings driven now, think back to the 70s and 80s Fools and Horses wouldn't have been a sucess if it had been taken off air so quickly. Even The Street was panned by the critics when it started.
    Carlton loved Crossroads it kept Lenton Lane busy, It was ITV Network that didn't like it sadly the big bods didn't give it a chance. Now ITV want a new day time soap why what was wrong with Crossroads.

It needed time to grow. The research ITV did into soap proved that viewers associated soap and Crossroads. The trouble is that ITV is now run by accountants not by people who know and love TV.

This will alway be the way with TV now its accountant TV
  • ZaichikZaichik Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by tonywilson
    yet pieces of crap can run for years and years if they have the right time slot.

Just look how long The Simpsons has run for and while that was brilliant once it's really gone to the dogs now.

And yet Futurama got axed at the height of its brilliance.
  • cobaltmalecobaltmale Posts: 21,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by Dot Cotton
    It was very sad that Crossroads was taken off air.
    The New look Crossroads was good and wasn't given a chance.

I think if they'd came back with Mark 2 rather than launching the OTT Mark 3 it would still be going. Ratings were never as bad for Mark 2 so it didn't need resting.

G
    Forum Member
    Yes although I enjoyed MK 3 if Crossroads ever came back then it would have to be grounded in reality. Crossroads didn't really need a glam makeover anyway, it always had a touch more glamour than the other soaps and that's why I love it.

I also firmly believe that there is a place for Crossroads on todays TV, it's just a pity the powers that be don't share my views.

BTW, not many people know this but just before Nigel Pickard axed it in 2003 Tony Adams had just signed up to return as Adam Chance which would have been wonderful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nigel Pickard should sacked mind you he maybe now the new wonderful ITV has taken over.

Crossroads was good Mk2 & Mk3. its a pity the killed off Kates family
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    MK3 was ok,but the ending was 2 daft-worse than pams dream in dallas
    Forum Member
    When Crossroads MK 3 was axed, the writers only had a short time in which to think of a way to end it all so Yvon Grace decided to do something a little bit different. The whole supermarket scene was basically a way to stick 2 fingers up at ITV for treating Crossroads so badly. Many people think the true ending is actually Scott's video in the pub.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,425
    Forum Member
    I live down in London and i occasionally get to catch the river city omnibus on BBC ONE Scotland on sky digital. I think the acting is better than on Emmerdale. The BBC should make it go national.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    I would willingly watch a dvd of just Amy Turtle's best moments!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    if you have ntl cable you can watch river city on tues & thurs 8pm channel 927(bbc scotland)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Amy could never reach the switchboard in Crossroads.

Those words " Crossroads Motel can I help you" were fab.

I hope ITV 3 show Crossroads along with ATV's Genral Hospital.

Sadly ITV don't care about their viewers anymore all they care about is beating the BBC and Sky.

I have to say that all ITV executives are not programme makers anymore. And so far up their own backsides.

Meg Woz Magic she was a true TV star,
  • msimmsim Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that crossroads and Night and Day were both dumped far far to early in their runs. NAD was, and still is ITVs most intelligent soap, and ok, i admit that it wasnt a ratings winner, but it was a totally new style of soap. People make comparisons to when EE started with poor ratings, most probably because it was so gritty compared with corrie, that people needed time to get used to it. NAD was dumped to the grave only 3 months in (and it should have been kept on around 11pm as a late night soap, its ideal slot!)
    Back to Crossroads, i never watched the Mk2 version, basically because alot of people said it was rubbish and thats why it was axed first time, but i dont think it needed to be 'retooled'. Again, the ratings werent great, but they werent bad! what ITV should have done is moved crossroads out of competition with neghbours at 5.30, and moved it into NADs 5.05 slot. Im sure that would have brought in more viewers.
    I did watch Mk3, as there was nothing else on a teatime, so id see what it was like. It was ok, but i thought the high camp, glitzy hotel was just to much a step from what crossroads was about. people liked the 60s version, and as the mk2 version was more modern, it may have lost those viewers, but the Mk3 version would have lost those AND the Mk2 version, so what did ITV expect when it performed poorly.
    NAD and Crossroads (mk2+3) were not bad soaps as most people automatically assume, but they were ruined by ITVs meddling and demand for instantaneous success. Consequently, because of what ITV did with NAD and their total disregard for its fans, i now never watch ITV. Its programmes are, as have already been mentioned, appaling and patronising to the viwer (unless your braindead) and are dictated by what is good for the account books!

R.I.P ITV
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    There are still plenty of fans of Crossroads about - fans of the original as well as fans of the more recent version. You only need to look at the number of Crossroads fan websites to see how much interest there still is. I think a DVD would be a big commercial success. I know it was contemplated before both by Carlton and another company but sadly neither company pursued the idea. Let's hope this campaign can make the powers that be think again!

www.crossroadsonline.co.uk/

http://www.crossroadsfanclub.com/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THIS HAS TO STOP!!

Crossroads has GONE!!!
    Crossroads will never RETURN!!
    IT WAS SHITE!!
    IT WAS SHITE IN 1964!!
    IT WAS SHITE IN 2001!!
    IT WAS SHITE IN 2003!!
    NO DVD!!
    NO MORE!!
    THE END!!

AND THE SAME FOR YOU NIGHT & DAY BANDITS!!
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by TOML
    THIS HAS TO STOP!!

Crossroads has GONE!!!
    blah blah blah...

AND THE SAME FOR YOU NIGHT & DAY BANDITS!!

And people call me sad:rolleyes:

What is so wrong with a DVD release of Crossroads? It would make all the fans happy and wouldn't affect you at all.

I honestly can't understand people who dislike shows so much that they have to try and spoil it for those who do enjoy it.

I'm not a fan of Eastenders or Corrie but I respect that a lot of people are so I don't try to rain on their parade.

I've reported your post TomL and I suggest others do the same, the Digital Spy forum can do without users like you.

Tony Wilson
  • msimmsim Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well what programmes do you like TOML? maybe if you tell us then we can give our opinions on your taste!

i dont like crossroads, but i dont care if people talk about it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting sick of people trying to bring this show back from the dead.
    Forum Member
    But how does it affect you if it is brought back? That's what the remote control is for.