Celebs who act nice in the spotlight but are horrible in person

Comments

• ellie1997ellie1997 Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ive mostly met bands (mostly obscure!) but of the rest:

Tim Minchin - Lovely, so tiny in real life too! Stayed and signed autographs for all the fans who waited.

My Chemical Romance - Lovely boys, my daughter was about 11 at the time and they all hugged her, signed personalised autographs and Gerard Way gave her a kiss (which she still talks about constantly now!)

Brian May - Fab

Eric Bristow - Runs a pub near me, always friendly

The Automatic - Grumpy onstage, the bassist walked off in a huff after a fan tried to grab his guitar but nice in a signing.

Paul Gascoigne - Met him a few years ago, he was lovely, picked up my daughter for a hug

Warwick Davies - another gent, happy to pose for photos

Danny John Jules (aka Cat from Red Dwarf) - funny guy, had the kids shouting "FISH!!" for a photo

Bobby G (Bucks Fizz) - spent the night trying to impress women (and failing)

When my son was small he loved F1 and would write to various teams. Jaques Villeneuve sent him a signed cap, he had a lovely hand written note from Ruebens Barrichello and Jackie Stewart sent him a hand signed Christmas Card for years until the Stewart team disbanded :D
  • Ash's ManAsh's Man Posts: 7,165
    Forum Member
    Out of the ones I've met that I class as stars, I've had good experiences with -

Beyonce Knowles (no trace of diva whatsoever, very grounded)
    Jay Z (quite shy, but a good person from what I can see)
    Des O'Connor (randomly)
    David Tennant
    Robert Plante

Bad experiences with-

Britney Spears (possibly one of the rudest, self serving women ever)
    Cheryl Cole (not nasty, just not particularly pleasant)
  • Charlie ChuckCharlie Chuck Posts: 2,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kate Thornton must have been having a bad day at the airport. I live in the same town as her and see her around often. She's unaffected and very down to earth, like she is on Loose Women.

We all can get annoyed and frustrated at times, I know I hate shopping. Please do have that consideration before you slate a famous person.
  • catboy71catboy71 Posts: 471
    Forum Member
    I've met loads of celebs over the years , through work , and most have been pretty down to earth and nice . One that I remember being particularly unpleasant was Brett Anderson , from the band Suede . Their first album had just been released and I was working at a gig they were doing...I asked if he'd sign my CD , he did , but then promptly told me to "f**k off" .

Another bizarre one was Arthur Lee (from 60's band Love). A meet and greet was organised with him at a gig , but when he met everyone he had a bag over his head so he couldn't be photographed and he held maracas in his hand and used that as an excuse not to sign anything. Still , he came a cross as a decent enough guy.

Also , I've came across Marti Pellow using the "do you know who i am ?" card a fair few times . Once in a bar in Glasgow , he was struggling to get served and started getting mouthy . The barman replied "Yes , you're Marti Pellow and Wet Wet Wet are shite"....Marti promptly left the bar.
  • StuntyStunty Posts: 45,685
    Forum Member
    catboy71 wrote: »
    I've met loads of celebs over the years , through work , and most have been pretty down to earth and nice . One that I remember being particularly unpleasant was Brett Anderson , from the band Suede . Their first album had just been released and I was working at a gig they were doing...I asked if he'd sign my CD , he did , but then promptly told me to "f**k off" .

Another bizarre one was Arthur Lee (from 60's band Love). A meet and greet was organised with him at a gig , but when he met everyone he had a bag over his head so he couldn't be photographed and he held maracas in his hand and used that as an excuse not to sign anything. Still , he came a cross as a decent enough guy.

Also , I've came across Marti Pellow using the "do you know who i am ?" card a fair few times . Once in a bar in Glasgow , he was struggling to get served and started getting mouthy . The barman replied "Yes , you're Marti Pellow and Wet Wet Wet are shite"....Marti promptly left the bar.

:D:D:D Good on the barman. :D
  • sharrensharren Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    steve wright from the radio I met him at a radio 1 road show in torquay many years ago he was abslutly horrible. so rude when I asked him for an autograph noel edmunds was lovely
  • mia75mia75 Posts: 9,352
    Forum Member
    Unigal07 wrote: »
    My sister's friend met Gok Wan in a club in Liverpool one night, and went up to him and said "Hey Gok, sorry to bother you, but what do you think of my outfit?" (or something like that) and he just said "Sorry love it's my day off" and just turned his back on her.

I know he must get it all the time but politeness costs nothing. I was gutted because I love Gok on TV.

My friend sat next to his table in a restaurant and he was telling his party about the 'ugly, fat cow' that he was making over that morning. What a charmer :rolleyes:

My friend absolutely loved him before that.
  • sharrensharren Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    andy1231 wrote: »
    True story - a few years ago two female friends of mine, wrote to Michael Winner saying how much they enjoyed his "Winners Dinners" series of articles that were published in a British newspaper. They told him that they were planning on having a few days in London and would love to invite him out, at their own expense, for a meal if he would care to recommend a restaurant to them. He replied and a time and date was duly made. On the evening in question the girls turned up only to be told by the maitre de that Mr Winner was unfortunately unable to attend. Disapointed the girls decided to enjoy themselves anyway. For the whole meal they were fussed over by the head waiter, the head wine waiter etc. At the end of the evening when they asked for the (rather large) bill they were told that Mr Winner had telephoned from Bermuda to enquire if they had enjoyed their meal and also to pay the bill for them !

what a lovely guy
  • catlover132catlover132 Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Saw Dara O'Briain at a small gig just before his UK career started to kick off. Came up afterwards to say hello: real gentleman.
  • jackiebopsjackiebops Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry for cropping the post ! Have to say I served Marti (and the other Wet Wet Wet guys) when I worked in a club in Glasgow and he (and the rest) were always pleasant. Also met them at a proper meet and greet when they first came on the scene many years ago and he was lovely and very funny, the 16 year old me was very impressed !
    Also served Justin Currie from Del Ametrie (sp) and he was very nice (and a good tipper !). Served Wayne Sleep too, he was an absolute scream - dleightful !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ellie1997 wrote: »
    Ive mostly met bands (mostly obscure!) but of the rest:

Tim Minchin - Lovely, so tiny in real life too! Stayed and signed autographs for all the fans who waited.

My Chemical Romance - Lovely boys, my daughter was about 11 at the time and they all hugged her, signed personalised autographs and Gerard Way gave her a kiss (which she still talks about constantly now!)

Brian May - Fab

Eric Bristow - Runs a pub near me, always friendly

The Automatic - Grumpy onstage, the bassist walked off in a huff after a fan tried to grab his guitar but nice in a signing.

Paul Gascoigne - Met him a few years ago, he was lovely, picked up my daughter for a hug

Warwick Davies - another gent, happy to pose for photos

Danny John Jules (aka Cat from Red Dwarf) - funny guy, had the kids shouting "FISH!!" for a photo

Bobby G (Bucks Fizz) - spent the night trying to impress women (and failing)

When my son was small he loved F1 and would write to various teams. Jaques Villeneuve sent him a signed cap, he had a lovely hand written note from Ruebens Barrichello and Jackie Stewart sent him a hand signed Christmas Card for years until the Stewart team disbanded :D

I met Bobby G when he came down the in 1995 to the Falklands to do a show for the island garrison. It was my job to look after them for the week they were there, driving them round from show to show & guest functions. During the stay entertainers are treated as VIPs.

I found all of Bucks Fizz to be a great bunch even Mike Nolan who was a real pleasure to work with.

Bobby G however was ignorant & really up his backside. Not at all someone you could talk to.

At the end of the week I drove them to the airport & saw them to the waiting lounge. All of the group thanked me for looking after them, the two roadies & the support act gave me cans of beer.
    The girls were all over me even the support dancers. Loved that bit :D

Bobby G just walked by me not so much as a thank you or good bye.

A real ignorant up his own backside Johnny come lately.

Mike Nolan was injured in a crash some years back, it left him a little brain damaged & something he had never fully recovered from.

Even he gave me a couple of cans of beer & thanked me for looking after him.

Bobby G ignorant nasty piece of work.

• parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    mia75 wrote: »
    My friend sat next to his table in a restaurant and he was telling his party about the 'ugly, fat cow' that he was making over that morning. What a charmer :rolleyes:

:eek: So on his show, he's really looking down his nose at many of the participants? While supposedly trying to spread the message that we're all beautiful? How cynical.
  • LisaB599LisaB599 Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotty27 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but she still sounds quite rude to me. It isn't your fault she has cancer and a 'thank you' would have been more polite than 'really?' and yawning. You're not psychic, you weren't to know about her illness and it sounds like you were very polite to her. If she didn't want to talk shop she could have said the thank you then gone to the loo to drop the subject. And in case anyone thinks I'm being hard hearted there have been a few people in my family/social circle who have had to deal with cancer, including my father (who we lost) and a sibling, and I never saw them being rude to anyone - ever.

But giving her the benefit of the doubt, she might have just been told, was in shock and was acting out of character.

Love this thread though.
    avidreader wrote: »
    Also in Jennifer's defence, she is apparently quite painfully shy and feels awkward sometimes when talking to people she doesn't know. Very shy peole can come across as aloof and standoffish sometimes. (Even Dawn French has said that she thought Jennifer was unfriendly when she first met her, but once she got to know her she realised that she isn't actually unfriendly at all.) Add that to the fact that she had recently found out that she had cancer, and I think her behaviour is a lot more understandable.

But I'm biased, because I think she is a beatiful and extremely talented lady! However, it's hard to imagine that the lovely Ade Edmondson would be so in love with someone who wasn't a very nice person, so I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt!

Yeah i agree with both of you i gave her the benefit of the doubt as im a big fan so tried not to let it put me off her.
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mia75 wrote: »

My friend absolutely loved him before that.
    parthy wrote: »
    :eek: So on his show, he's really looking down his nose at many of the participants? While supposedly trying to spread the message that we're all beautiful? How cynical.

:eek: I don't know why I was surprised but mia's post really shocked me and I totally agree with pathy's reply! What a bleedin' hypocrite :mad: If that's true he's just nasty.
    LisaB599 wrote: »
    Yeah i agree with both of you i gave her the benefit of the doubt as im a big fan so tried not to let it put me off her.

I know I posted that I thought Jennifer Saunders was impolite but I still think she's great :) I have liked most of her work over the years and am very pleased that she's now in remission. I also think she's really nice looking but has never really been acknowledged as such :confused:
  • Gaspanic!Gaspanic! Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heard bad things about Miquita Oliver.
  • parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    Gaspanic! wrote: »
    Heard bad things about Miquita Oliver.

She seems like she'd be a mardy cow. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw James Sutton and Sammy Winward (Emmerdale) in a club. They were were both delightful. Sammy approached me when she realised I'd dropped my jacket. They asked me to take a picture of them with their friends. I did and James stood and spoke to me about bad photos and uploading them onto facebook.

My friend has met Cameron Diaz twice and said she is lovely. Really friendly, down to earth and happy to go around completely make-up free.

Just bumped into Amanda Lamb today and whilst I didn't speak to her, she was very smiley.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've met loads of celebs over the years , through work , and most have been pretty down to earth and nice . One that I remember being particularly unpleasant was Brett Anderson , from the band Suede . Their first album had just been released and I was working at a gig they were doing...I asked if he'd sign my CD , he did , but then promptly told me to "f**k off"

That surprises me, I met him when I was 17 after a gig in Hull, well, actually I met all of them and they were all lovely guys - esp Simon the drummer, he was so friendly.

Met lots of comedians over the years, Ben Elton, Jo Brand, Jack Dee, Jeff Green, Ade Edmonson - all wonderful. Stephen Fry was the nicest though, adoreable. Phill Jupitus comes a close second. :)

The only person I didnt really like was Ian Botham - I went to get a book of his signed when my mum was ill (she adored him and had met him many times) he was very stand off-ish and not really interested in the signing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    I have a friend who put his name down at a golf club he was visiting where they woul pull names out a hat and you played a game of golf with someone else who had put themselves forward. His opponent turned out to be alice cooper who was apparently friendly, charming and great fun (and an excellent golfer) and even bought him a drink after the game
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    A few years ago when I was learning to fly, I had to do my solo cross country flight. One leg of this involved landing at Cambridge.

While I was drinking my coffee in the executive terminal, a Jaguar pulled up and dropped off a lady. She was chatting to the guy on the desk about her flight arrangements, and I got chatting with her about flying and such. She was interested in my learning to fly and overall such a down to earth person. After around 20 minutes a private jet pulled up outside, she bid farewell to the chap on the desk with "See you later", and wished me good luck for my flying lessons.

After she left, the chap on the desk asked if I knew who she was. No idea, I replied. Turns out it was Delia Smith, flying up to a Norwich City match somewhere in the north of England. Such a genuinely lovely person to meet.
  • hickenhicken Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my Aunt's used to be a silver service waitress, did loads of Royal Variety Club dos back in the day. The one's I really remember were Tommy Cooper - lovely chap, took time to talk to the waiting staff and had them in hysterics, ditto Eric Morcombe, another lovely man. The one that I remember as being vile was Max Bygraves, horrible man by all accounts.

I went to Wimbledon years ago, and Max Bygraves was in the VIP box. Some kids came up to the box with autograph books in between sets (so they weren't disturbing his viewing) and he just waved them away while looking elsewhere, didn't even speak to them. I was quite shocked. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fascinated by everything I just read haha. :D I only met one mildly famous person, a comedian over here in Ireland, Des Bishop. I met him at a club in Galway. My **** fell in a puddle so he bought me a pack and we chatted for about 45 minutes, really nice and sociable. I'm sure none of you have heard of him though, think he's only 'famous' over here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there's probably 20% good men in the world and the rest are horrid :( fair enough they might not say/do what Lee did but the majority of blokes (espicially young ones) don't care what they do(and thats purley a guess if your nice then i didn't mean you weren't :p)

Sadly I have to agree. I'm 19 and 90% of lads I've met are right p ricks and sexist pigs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nisior wrote: »
    Sadly I have to agree. I'm 19 and 90% of lads I've met are right p ricks and sexist pigs.

I know this will sound REALLY patronising, and I'm sorry for that, but you're still so young. Nineteen is still like the beginning of life and you have loads of time to experience the nice guys that ARE out there. It's difficult when you've had bad experiences but don't give up hope. :)

Also - blokes in their teens/twenties tend to be quite immature at the best of times. Things should get a bit better the older you get.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    I know this will sound REALLY patronising, and I'm sorry for that, but you're still so young. Nineteen is still like the beginning of life and you have loads of time to experience the nice guys that ARE out there. It's difficult when you've had bad experiences but don't give up hope. :)

Also - blokes in their teens/twenties tend to be quite immature at the best of times. Things should get a bit better the older you get.

I do think you're right. My brothers are the nicest lads ever so my hope is that there are some nice lads that could live up to the amount of respect they show women. I could really tell you some horror stories about things that lads at my school did when girls were drunk...but that's for another thread lol :p