Henry Winkler on BBC Hardtalk

PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What a simply lovely bloke!

Guy's still acting, currently has 3 tv series on the go & has written 23 books!

His parents barely escaped the Nazi concentration camps in WW2 Germany & he lost all the rest of his family :(

If you haven't seen it & are a fan, you should look it up on iPlayer, it's only like 20 mins or something & worth watching.

Comments

• rory rrory r Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    Seen him on the one show tonight, a genuinely nice bloke.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He had a lot of trouble with dyslexia, didn't he?
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, he really does struggle with it & always has. It's really worth watching the iPlayer version if you like him obviously.
  • wordfromthewisewordfromthewise Posts: 2,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have seen him at my place of work and he is show -stoppingly charming,unfailingly polite and a genuinely nice,unassuming bloke......so not just for TV.

Have witnessed him walk into a meeting room and say who he was in a totally normal way (with no expectation that people would know who he was........which of course they did).Impressive.
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This guy is a gem. I 've never heard said a bad word about him.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is the epitome of cool :cool: I liked his definition of cool as mentioned on The One Show last night, which is basically just being comfortable in being yourself :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's been in Norfolk this week touring schools talking about dyslexia etc - have heard from friends, who's children met him, what a lovely man he is. My kids were wishing they were primary age again so they could have met him too. From what I've heard from this week, can't speak highly enough of him :)

Edited as just found local paper interview

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/mustard_video_the_fonz_pays_a_visit_to_angel_road_junior_school_in_norwich_1_1970263
  • EastEnders-1105EastEnders-1105 Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Henry is Lovely when i wrote to him for an Autograph he replyed very quickly and it had a personalised inscription (To Emma wishing you a happy and healthy new year remember you have the greatness inside of you) and he even took the time to sign the names of his dogs who were also in the picture.

I watched One show with him on and he came accross very nice and friendly and obviously after all these years hasnt let the fame get to his head
  • *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I grew up watching Henry as Fonzie in 'Happy Days' :) And yes he's always come across as a lovely, charming guy in interviews.
  • cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A very genuine guy, always great with in interviews and passionate about reading and learning.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

His parents barely escaped the Nazi concentration camps in WW2 Germany & he lost all the rest of his family :(

If you haven't seen it & are a fan, you should look it up on iPlayer, it's only like 20 mins or something & worth watching.

Sometimes Hardtalk is quite heavy going but Henry Winkler was such a refreshing change.
    He is such an interesting character and has done so much in his life.
  • hopeless casehopeless case Posts: 5,245
    Forum Member
    Henry is Lovely when i wrote to him for an Autograph he replyed very quickly and it had a personalised inscription (To Emma wishing you a happy and healthy new year remember you have the greatness inside of you) and he even took the time to sign the names of his dogs who were also in the picture.

I watched One show with him on and he came accross very nice and friendly and obviously after all these years hasnt let the fame get to his head
    Wow! Nice bloke :)
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cazzz wrote: »
    A very genuine guy, always great with in interviews and passionate about reading and learning.

Yes, that's the impression I get. I'm sure I read somewhere that he at one point he got a bit fed up of The 'Fonz' tag until he went somewhere and a young child called it at at him. He later got a letter of the child's mum to say that the child was special needs and it was the first word they'd ever spoken. Must google it.

I love to see him being interviewed, so genuine and interesting and has a real passion to help young people read.
  • chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member

He's an absolute gem isn't he. Love him
  • EastEnders-1105EastEnders-1105 Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow! Nice bloke :)

Yeah i was so shocked when i read it as hes been around for ages with Happy days and films ect

heres a pic of my autograph

dsc03028al.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is at my granddaughters school next week. I want to be 9 again!

I saw him on Breakfast news a few months ago talking about his work with dyslexic kids, he still has so much passion for everything. Lovely bloke.
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a lovely man. :)

It was so moving to hear him relate the story of his son saying in an interview that his biggest problem growing up was that he ''was loved too much''.

Not many kids, Hollywood or otherwise can say that.
  • bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always thought he seemed lovely - thanks OP, I am just off to watch the interview :)
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure part of it is not becoming a star too early - he was almost 30 when "Happy Days" started, so he'd had a few years of struggle to help ground him once he became super-famous - that's my theory anyway! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marilliona wrote: »
    He's been in Norfolk this week touring schools talking about dyslexia etc - have heard from friends, who's children met him, what a lovely man he is. My kids were wishing they were primary age again so they could have met him too. From what I've heard from this week, can't speak highly enough of him :)

Edited as just found local paper interview

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/mustard_video_the_fonz_pays_a_visit_to_angel_road_junior_school_in_norwich_1_1970263

The video accompanying this story was great. What a star to give up his time to visit a little primary school he'd never heard of. I can't imagine many Hollywood actors doing the same. Fantastic interaction with the kids.
  • FuzzyDunlop82FuzzyDunlop82 Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    I hope he is inthe next series of Arrested Development...he is just too funny as Barry.

He seems an absolutely top guy, he lights up programmes and films; and was briliant in Scream.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If only there were more in celeb-dom like this guy. What a great role model. Heyyyyyy!!!!:o:cool:
  • GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    I hope he is inthe next series of Arrested Development...he is just too funny as Barry.

He seems an absolutely top guy, he lights up programmes and films; and was briliant in Scream.

Then you would like this scene in Arrested Development :)

http://i.imgur.com/RYb64.gif
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah i was so shocked when i read it as hes been around for ages with Happy days and films ect

heres a pic of my autograph

dsc03028al.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

that's really great, i'd only want a few autographs, & he'd be one of them.