Natalie no family on It Takes Two VT?

MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
Forum Member
Sorry if there is already a thread on this. Anyone know why she had no family on the VT that was made about her?

Comments

• Sally Mander2Sally Mander2 Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    From Wiki: Her grandfather Josiah Gumede was the only President of the short-lived Zimbabwe-Rhodesia. Reading his wiki page he seemed like an amazing person. He died in 1989. It's the way of the modern world that his wiki-page is shorter than his celebrity grand-daughter.

I can't find anything about her parents - they seemed to have been airbrushed out.
  • ThistlewhistleThistlewhistle Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    I'm sure she has chatted about her mum before but she could be too shy to appear on television. Similar to how Sophie doesn't allow her children on Strictly, maybe Nat thinks it better to keep her family out of her firing line.

Incidentally, I just some comments about her on her yahoo blog and they are frankly disgusting.

If the publid don't like her or her dancing fine, but bringing her race, "Kirsty Soames" comparisons or "cheating" accusations is just bang out of order
    Forum Member
    Incidentally, I just some comments about her on her yahoo blog and they are frankly disgusting.
    Someone mentioned that some facebook threads are 100x worse than can be found on these threads ... and that the DS threads are positively mild compared to them.

The thing is there is absolutely nothing that can be done about it - it depends on the regulation and moderation of each site. However I think it is possible to hold someone to account legally for what they post as it is in theory covered by libel and discrimination law.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From Wiki: Her grandfather Josiah Gumede was the only President of the short-lived Zimbabwe-Rhodesia. Reading his wiki page he seemed like an amazing person. He died in 1989. It's the way of the modern world that his wiki-page is shorter than his celebrity grand-daughter.

I can't find anything about her parents - they seemed to have been airbrushed out.

I think that it's a sort of 'public' background that has NOTHING to do with Nat, she's just a child of her parents and not to do with what they experienced, good or ill.

They probably want it quiet and for her to be herself and her own person.

I can understand and respect that.
    Forum Member
    I think that it's a sort of 'public' background that has NOTHING to do with Nat, she's just a child of her parents and not to do with what they experienced, good or ill.

They probably want it quiet and for her to be herself and her own person.

I can understand and respect that.
    But Natalie is in show business - her schooling was directed towards show business. You would expect parents of such children to be more visible and openly supportive.
  • Pices-55Pices-55 Posts: 18,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But Natalie is in show business - her schooling was directed towards show business. You would expect parents of such children to be more visible and openly supportive.

Considering how much hate she has attracted in the media and online I doubt she would want to bring her family into this type of arena.:(
  • BelgoLiftBelgoLift Posts: 713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There are many other more meaningful ways to be supportive. Celebs in the US protect their families (both parents and children) as much as possible from the media, as there are a lot of weirdos and stalkers out there.
  • Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All these are very valid points & not having family on is her perogative etc but I am afraid it will be another stick for her detractors to beat her with as frankly it just makes her appear different from the others. Dragging on your grannies & smallest relatives is an expected if much derided part of reality TV & not to do so could come across as odd or stand offish.

I am not sure Natalie is going to look back on her Strictly time with much fondness.
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't watch Corrie, but I understand Natalie played a very unpleasant character in that. Perhaps at that time her family came in for some nastiness from idiots who can't tell the difference between acting a fictional character and real life. Possibly a reason why they'd want to keep a low profile or Natalie would like to protect them?
  • MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From something I picked up somewhere on the web, I gather Natalie and her Brother were brought up by their Mum as their father died when they were quite small.

Natalie is an incredibly private person so protecting her relatives is all part of that private persona. This also explains why Artem knew less about her than the others do about their partners.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All these are very valid points & not having family on is her perogative etc but I am afraid it will be another stick for her detractors to beat her with as frankly it just makes her appear different from the others. Dragging on your grannies & smallest relatives is an expected if much derided part of reality TV & not to do so could come across as odd or stand offish.

I am not sure Natalie is going to look back on her Strictly time with much fondness.

Why on earth should it make her come across as either odd or stand offish?
    I am not a fan of bringing on the kids or grannies tbh and find that part of RTV very off putting, its almost like using your loved ones as pawns imo and I personally find it distasteful even if I do look at the cute kiddies and say Awwwww bless.

Would you yourself bring in those you most love into the bearpit for the rather sad and nasty individuals to mock and pick apart? I know I would not for certain and I dont have much respect for those that do, yes the kiddies and the grannies are lovely and in a perfect world it would be nice to include them, as it is its a nasty bigoted world out there in social media land and I would rather protect and shield those I love from it.

Natalie just grows and grows in my respect for her and I feel very sad for her that her strictly dream has been spoiled by these faceless people who have nothing better to do than hurl insults directly to her via social media.:(>:(
  • MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pices-55 wrote: »
    Why on earth should it make her come across as either odd or stand offish?
    I am not a fan of bringing on the kids or grannies tbh and find that part of RTV very off putting, its almost like using your loved ones as pawns imo and I personally find it distasteful even if I do look at the cute kiddies and say Awwwww bless.

Would you yourself bring in those you most love into the bearpit for the rather sad and nasty individuals to mock and pick apart? I know I would not for certain and I dont have much respect for those that do, yes the kiddies and the grannies are lovely and in a perfect world it would be nice to include them, as it is its a nasty bigoted world out there in social media land and I would rather protect and shield those I love from it.

Natalie just grows and grows in my respect for her and I feel very sad for her that her strictly dream has been spoiled by these faceless people who have nothing better to do than hurl insults directly to her via social media.:(>:(

Exactly. For Natalie it truly IS all about the dancing, not having relatives ride her coattails.
  • aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not just Natalie but celebs/stars in general - I don't want to know everything about them ... I want them to have a bit of mystique and stardust.

I dont want them to be just like me :D
  • TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Considering how much hate she has attracted in the media and online I doubt she would want to bring her family into this type of arena.:(

That's a good point.
  • fermynfermyn Posts: 2,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well said.
  • primerprimer Posts: 6,370
    Forum Member
    Monaogg wrote: »
    Exactly. For Natalie it truly IS all about the dancing, not having relatives ride her coattails.

i have no problem with there being no info about natalie's family on any of the VTs or spin off shows.

however i am perplexed by this sweeping claim that relatives who do appear are somehow greedily or cynically trying to cash in or show off.

might they not just be family supporting their loved one? or are you suggesting that sophie's elderly grandmother or susanna's children are 'riding their coat tails'?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    primer wrote: »
    i have no problem with there being no info about natalie's family on any of the VTs or spin off shows.

however i am perplexed by this sweeping claim that relatives who do appear are somehow greedily or cynically trying to cash in or show off.

might they not just be family supporting their loved one? or are you suggesting that sophie's elderly grandmother or susanna's children are 'riding their coat tails'?

For me its just that I dont like the families being brought out as part of any campaign on RTV.I find it very distasteful and respect those more who dont do it.

With Sophie's Mum it is slightly different as she herself is part of the celeb culture and knows what she is facing but even Sophie has the good sense to leave her children out of it.I must say I am surprised at both Susanna and Abbey for allowing the children to be filmed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    primer wrote: »

It's just the flip side to because a celeb's family doesn't appear on the show there must be some deep dark family feud or other reason to explain it. One is as over the top emphasis as the other.

A celeb whose family is camera shy doesn't have to be on camera to support them.
    A celeb whose family is cool with it, can.
    Not quite as thread worthy though - although at least the threads asking if Natalie does actually have any friends have been answered ;-)
  • nedtheatomicnedtheatomic Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    As fans we're interested in the dancer, the journey, the hairstyle, the family, etc etc

I think there is a balance to be struck but there are people making money out of mawkish sentiment. Hom much choice do the latter day Von Trapp kids have in Peter Andre's reality show?

At one point when Frank Lampards ex was involved with Peter Andre, Lamps stated that no way, no how were his kids going to be part of that media business - good shout, if you're loaded why would you?

Who knows Natalie's reasons and what right have we to know but I do like the fact that she didn't play the game.

An hour of that show last night was 30 minutes too much - I'll shut up.
    Forum Member
    MrJames wrote: »
    Sorry if there is already a thread on this. Anyone know why she had no family on the VT that was made about her?

MrJames opens up a valid question. Suzanne, Sophie, Abbey have family supporting her whereas Natalie has no family supporting her just friends. A cursory examination of the internet reveals no information on Natalie's relatives apart from a grandfather who appears to be a Mandela Figure of Rhodesia - Zimbabwe.

A discussion is begun.

Then a small few seem to make the claim that this discussion is just another stick to beat Natalie with ... and if Natalie's family had appeared on the ITT in support ... then again it would be just another stick in which to beat Natalie with ...

Yes it is possible her relatives might be shy and it is possible that she might fear unwanted attention on them if they did appear in support of her. But I don't see why the discussion should be stopped and disagree that this discussion is effectively another stick to beat Natalie with.
  • nedtheatomicnedtheatomic Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    MrJames opens up a valid question. Suzanne, Sophie, Abbey have family supporting her whereas Natalie has no family supporting her just friends. A cursory examination of the internet reveals no information on Natalie's relatives apart from a grandfather who appears to be a Mandela Figure of Rhodesia - Zimbabwe.

A discussion is begun.

Then some seem to make the claim that this discussion is just another stick to beat Natalie with ... and if Natalie's family had appeared on the ITT in support ... then again it would be just another stick in which to beat Natalie with ...

How valid is the question and do you think we have a right to know?

Answer on a postcard to Rupert Murdoch, custodian of the right of free speech.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A discussion is begun.

Then some seem to make the claim that this discussion is just another stick to beat Natalie with ... and if Natalie's family had appeared on the ITT in support ... then again it would be just another stick in which to beat Natalie with ...

I think that what needs adding there is on camera
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A discussion is begun.

Maybe you can point out where in this thread anyone is claiming that its another stick to beat Natalie with.:confused:And as far as I can see it is being discussed and nobody is trying to shut down the thread.

Of course I doubt you meant to say that Natalie has no family supporting her....or at least I hope not.Support does not have to be paraded in VT's etc.I am not even sure why people need to know so much about the families of the celeb's:confused:

EDIT....sorry I just saw post number 9 in which it is claimed that its a stick to beat Natalie with....that poster is not a Natalie supporter though and I dont think they were trying to close down any discussion.
  • mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aggs wrote: »
    I think that what needs adding there is on camera

Well put.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can see both sides of these arguments and as a private person myself have no issue with Natalie wishing to maintain as much of her privacy as possible. People should respect that (Ha!).

However, I also don't have an issue with those whose family wish to show more visible support. That should also be respected and not derided as some form of child (granny/granddad) prostitution. I felt Sophie articulated this wonderfully; her family obviously wanted to show support and have felt part of her experience all the more keenly as a result of their own involvement with the show.