Options

Anyone else think about the amount of less fortunate people in the world xmas time?

marc_p88marc_p88 Posts: 1,133
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have been thinking how fortunate we all are to be in good health and spending time in our warm homes with friends/family and having a nice warm meal, whereas some where out there in our country/the world are people fighting starvation, extreme poverty, homelessness, incurable diseases, terminal illnesses, and generally suffering!

Do you ever think about these people?

I feel like a bit of a dick for constantly worrying over small things, making thread after thread on DS about my insignificant life, whereas people out there in the world are actually going through a true struggle.

Love you all! Hope everyone is in good health and stays that way.

Comments

• Options
    NortherlyNortherly Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my answer is no
  • Options
    AaronWxAaronWx Posts: 2,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, that's why one of my presents from my fiance was a donation to a homeless charity to give a homeless person a Christmas. Enough to pay for Christmas dinner, 2 other meals, a shower and change of clothes, a haircut, a health check and other help. Made me rather emotional when I opened that one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bunions does..
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeh most people do but they don't make a thread about it for gratification
  • Options
    Fat BuddhaFat Buddha Posts: 882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This ^^^^^^^^
  • Options
    shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marc_p88 wrote: »
    I have been thinking how fortunate we all are to be in good health and spending time in our warm homes with friends/family and having a nice warm meal, whereas some where out there in our country/the world are people fighting starvation, extreme poverty, homelessness, incurable diseases, terminal illnesses, and generally suffering!

I feel like a bit of a dick for constantly worrying over small things, making thread after thread on DS about my insignificant life, whereas people out there in the world are actually going through a true struggle.

There are a lot of people much worse off than us.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    No, I don't. Christmas is depressing enough.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    AaronWx wrote: »
    Yep, that's why one of my presents from my fiance was a donation to a homeless charity to give a homeless person a Christmas. Enough to pay for Christmas dinner, 2 other meals, a shower and change of clothes, a haircut, a health check and other help. Made me rather emotional when I opened that one.

You can hardly call it a present if the whole thing happened completely independently of you. The only thing you got from it was the knowledge that someone else had donated to charity, which probably happens every single minute of every day regardless.

I'm not sure what there is to get emotional about. If anything I'd consider that rather rude. If someone's idea of a gift to me is telling me how generous and thoughtful they are, I'd be pretty appalled to be honest.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there certainly are more unfortunate people than me, but they're getting fewer all the time
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No different to any other time.
  • Options
    AaronWxAaronWx Posts: 2,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadiochao wrote: »
    You can hardly call it a present if the whole thing happened completely independently of you. The only thing you got from it was the knowledge that someone else had donated to charity, which probably happens every single minute of every day regardless.

I'm not sure what there is to get emotional about. If anything I'd consider that rather rude. If someone's idea of a gift to me is telling me how generous and thoughtful they are, I'd be pretty appalled to be honest.

Well I thought it was thoughtful and he knew it would make me happy. Your opinion is irrelevant. You clearly don't get it. That's really sad.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member

Well tonight thank God it's them instead of you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And there won't be snow in Africa this Christmas time.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    I couldn't care less about any third world country's any time of the year so why would I at Christmas? They get enough of my money as it is.
  • Options
    Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why is it only important to think about those less fortunate on Dec 25th and not at any other time of year, say March 7th or August 31st?

All those things happen everyday, yet it's only "christmas time" that some people like to think about those less fortunate.

It's like when bad things happen in December it's always bad "at this time of year". Your house flooding and you becoming homeless and losing personal possessions isn't more difficult just because it's December. Whether it's June, April or December, it's still going to be just as tough. Same with all the other things you've listed in the OP.
  • Options
    McMahauldMcMahauld Posts: 1,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    S1000RR wrote: »
    I couldn't care less about any third world country's
    any time of the year so why would I at Christmas?

You couldn't care less about the correct use of English
    grammar any time of the year, so why would you at Christmas?
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would you think of them more at Christmas time than at other times? Starvation is bad at any time of year.

(That's why I have a monthly direct debit set up to donate to the Red Cross.)
  • Options
    marc_p88marc_p88 Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Your awesome, vernon!
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    And there won't be snow in Africa this Christmas time.....

Except on the high mountains.
  • Options
    Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah that's why I thought about J.Bieber. May he rest in peace!!
  • Options
    Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will never feel like a dick for something I can't control (the family/lifestyle I was born into) but I do indeed think often of people who are homeless or in someway suffering, especially when it's cold/wet/snowing outside. I actually decided to make it a thing to give to local charities a bit more based on these feelings. I can't do a lot to help, but even a couple of quid here and there when I can spare it is no doubt better than not giving anything at all.
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes of those people without power or stuck in an airport or train station
  • Options
    LilNikki1987LilNikki1987 Posts: 261
    Forum Member

There is always someone somewhere much worse off than ourselves. Before I join my family on Christmas morning I have a quiet moment thinking about those who don't have what we have.

This is a good post though :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What do,you mean?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bugloss wrote: »
    there certainly are more unfortunate people than me, but they're getting fewer all the time

But soon they will not and it will be your time to pop your glogs my friend.