Options

Can we keep goods sent in error?

JeanieJeanie Posts: 4,549
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I ordered some music equipment for my son's band back in November 2006. (speakers/amps/microrphones etc) - total of the order came to over £900.

At the time, the company confirmed that everything was in stock and would be despatched within the week. To cut a VERY long story short, it actually turned out that half the items were not in stock, and they would not send the order until they had all the items. Then when the missing items came into stock, they hadn't got the original items because they'd despatched them elsewhere! This saga went on for months - I made numerous phone calls, sent emails. The company was always very apologetic, but they seemed highly disorganised and didn't seem to know what on earth was going on most of the time.

Eventually they had everything in stock apart from two speaker cabs. As they'd messed around so much, I asked them to send the part order - which they did (this was in January). It then took a further month, and loads of phone calls to get any joy on when the speaker cabs would be delivered. They finally came last week.

However, along with the speaker cabs were two amps (duplicates of the ones we had already received). My son is very keen just to keep the amps and put it down to the company's mistake. Although I accept the fact that the company messed us around a lot, delayed delivery etc - it just seems dishonest to keep the amps (worth a few hundred quid), and I just think we should own up and get them to arrange to have them sent back.

Should say at this point, that each time I had to sign the delivery slip for the parcels - but there was no picking list with either the first or the second delivery.

Does anybody know what the Consumer Law would be on something like this. Are we committing a crime if we keep the amps - or is it the company's mistake, and therefore our gain?

Any advice gratefully received.

Comments

• Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeanie wrote:
    I ordered some music equipment for my son's band back in November 2006. (speakers/amps/microrphones etc) - total of the order came to over £900.

At the time, the company confirmed that everything was in stock and would be despatched within the week. To cut a VERY long story short, it actually turned out that half the items were not in stock, and they would not send the order until they had all the items. Then when the missing items came into stock, they hadn't got the original items because they'd despatched them elsewhere! This saga went on for months - I made numerous phone calls, sent emails. The company was always very apologetic, but they seemed highly disorganised and didn't seem to know what on earth was going on most of the time.

Eventually they had everything in stock apart from two speaker cabs. As they'd messed around so much, I asked them to send the part order - which they did (this was in January). It then took a further month, and loads of phone calls to get any joy on when the speaker cabs would be delivered. They finally came last week.

However, along with the speaker cabs were two amps (duplicates of the ones we had already received). My son is very keen just to keep the amps and put it down to the company's mistake. Although I accept the fact that the company messed us around a lot, delayed delivery etc - it just seems dishonest to keep the amps (worth a few hundred quid), and I just think we should own up and get them to arrange to have them sent back.

Should say at this point, that each time I had to sign the delivery slip for the parcels - but there was no picking list with either the first or the second delivery.

Does anybody know what the Consumer Law would be on something like this. Are we committing a crime if we keep the amps - or is it the company's mistake, and therefore our gain?

Any advice gratefully received.

Hello Jennie,

There is a clear understanding in law here.

Let's not split hairs, you are liable for the Amp's safe and reasonable keeping untill such time as you have given the rightful owner reasonable notice and reasonable oppotunity to collect that goes for unsolicited goods or any sent in error.

For example, you order your brand new BMW Mini, the transporter arrives and instead of one it delivers two to your driveway.

Are you saying your unclear as to what you would have to next.

If you keep those amps you are liable for there full replacement value to the owner and tho' unlikely you could be reported for theft, it's remote I agree.

Reasonable collection of unsolicited goods from time of notice is I think 7 days not including weekends or bank holidays, goods sent in error is a little longer but the sender has to expidite collection or you are well within your rights to charge reasonable storage.

With unsolicited goods after such given notice, the goods are yours, with goods sent in error, I think you have to give notice to dispose.

If you come home and find 2 washing machines on your front porch in stead of the one as ordered is the spare yours?

Do the right thing, give notice and/or arrange collection.

Hope you get to keep them

Good luck :)
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seacam's advice is undoubtedly correct but, if it were me, and especially in light of how much they have messed you about, I would shove them in the loft and say nothing.

If I heard nothing more about them for, say, 6 months then it would be time to shove them on eBay.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    A couple of christmasses ago we ordered a creative zen worth about £160 from amazon for son,and 2 turned up. We kept it boxed for a couple of months incase they got back to us,and they never did.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    How can they possibly tell where the goods have gone to? People are hardly likely to say "oh yes I have them here".
  • Options
    mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,323
    Forum Member
    johnny_t wrote:
    Seacams advice is undoubtedly correct but, if it were me, and especially in light of how much they have messed you about, I would shove them in the loft and say nothing.

If I heard nothing more about them for, say, 6 months then it would be time to shove them on eBay.

Correct in the world of Law. Reality is a whole different ball game. Unless the extra Amps have been signed for, I don't see how the company could prove their error.
    Whether the OP sends them back or keeps them is down to them. Many people would and many people wouldn't. If you do keep them tell no one.
  • Options
    jackulatorjackulator Posts: 7,209
    Forum Member
    are they any good , what kind are they marshal ,messa boogie
  • Options
    JeanieJeanie Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the advice -

Trusted my gut instincts and have just rung the company and told them what happened. Got some cheerful chap who just sounded a bit taken aback, said he wasn't sure what to do and that he'd check and get back to me. So - have done the right thing - but of course hoping that they run true to form, and act with their usual disorganisation and never bother to contact me again.

Yep, good ones - Marshall.
  • Options
    BizBiz Posts: 14,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done, Jeanie. :)
  • Options
    imogenkateimogenkate Posts: 2,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    am feeling a little shamefaced.ordered 90 pounds worth of clothes from hawkshead.then saw on net problems with the company so hasseled them about order.clothes came on day we were going away.double order.decided to send the repeat ones back,it being a bad example to the kids.never did.still in my wardrobe 7 months later.also did huge food and wine shop on net for first time 2 yrs ago.signed for order.190 pounds should have been charged,only 10pounds went out of bank.feeling even more shamefaced now.
  • Options
    simonipswichsimonipswich Posts: 1,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've done the right thing, the ball is now in their court so too speak. If they don't get back to you, hang on to them for a while!
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can they possibly tell where the goods have gone to? People are hardly likely to say "oh yes I have them here".

Hello Stud

Your right they can't, unless there is two of them, however and I have known this, the delivery man was accused of theft.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably the exact reason they are reluctant to send out a part order is that they know their warehouse is a bit rubbish at keeping track of what has been delivered and what is outstanding, resulting in people holding onto 'extra' deliveries, thereby knocking their profits.

You did the right thing - I like an honest consumer :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I ordered a bread maker for my mum once and they kept delivering one a week for about 6 weeks. She kept calling them to come and collect but that seemed to be too difficult for them! The people who work in these offices only know how to send things - they don't know how to collect. In the end my mum refused to accept anymore (The 1st few were left on the door step or chucked over the gate as she was out).

The woman at the office just told my mum to keep them or to sell them as they were obviously never going to figure it out themseleves!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone had an unwanted book from a book club?
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Cstar2229 wrote:
    Has anyone had an unwanted book from a book club?

I would send it back.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they're not listed on the paperwork, keep them. ;)