Options

How do I download with Newsgroups??

amiloamilo Posts: 550
Forum Member
✭✭
Can anyone tell me how I go about downloading through newsgroups?
My brother told me its a fast way of downloading but I don't know where to start!!
Went to a site called megaupload but they seem to charge and I don't want to pay to set it up if it can be done for free
Maybe someone can tell me how to go about it.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What ISP are you with, some provide access to newsgroups for free. If not, you will need to subscribe to a premium newserver such as giganews or easynews. You will also need the software to access the newsgroups such as newsleecher or alt.binz or grabit
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Start by reading through this - http://www.slyck.com/ng.php
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks guys,I'm with Irish Broadband(which is in Ireland obviously!)and don't know if they have one??:confused:

For a quick start what ideally do I need to download?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amilo wrote: »
    Thanks guys,I'm with Irish Broadband(which is in Ireland obviously!)and don't know if they have one??:confused:

For a quick start what ideally do I need to download?

You need access to the newsgroups first, without that, the software is useless. If you can't access them through your ISP you will need to sign up to one of the premium newservers. Googling news servers will bring up a full list. Giganews is the best but also the most expensive. Which one you sign up to could depend on your monthly download limit with your ISP. If you are restricted to 40gb per month there is no point in an unlimited giganews account.

If you have access, newleecher is probably the best for downloading binaries, but agent is better for the text only groups.

Both have a free trial period

http://www.newsleecher.com/

http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php
  • Options
    PlasticTurdPlasticTurd Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is there a free way of downloading via newsgroups though? totally free?
    im with adsl24.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kie wrote: »
    You need access to the newsgroups first, without that, the software is useless. If you can't access them through your ISP you will need to sign up to one of the premium newservers. Googling news servers will bring up a full list. Giganews is the best but also the most expensive. Which one you sign up to could depend on your monthly download limit with your ISP. If you are restricted to 40gb per month there is no point in an unlimited giganews account.

If you have access, newleecher is probably the best for downloading binaries, but agent is better for the text only groups.

Both have a free trial period

http://www.newsleecher.com/

http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php

Thanks!I'm afraid I don't have a credit card so I am probably wasting my time trying to set this up if it can't be done for free.I have unlimited downloads with my provider so I don't need to worry about that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is there a free way of downloading via newsgroups though? totally free?
    im with adsl24.

Are ADSL24 an entanet reseller? If they are then they provide free newsgroup access. The address is new.enta.net (I think)

You will need free software such as alt.binz or grabit (links above) or you could use windows live or outlook express.

I have no idea what newsgroups the entanet server carries (it may not carry binaries) or how long the retention is.

If you want decent access then you need to subscribe to a premium news server.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kie wrote: »
    Are ADSL24 an entanet reseller? If they are then they provide free newsgroup access. The address is new.enta.net (I think)

You will need free software such as alt.binz or grabit (links above) or you could use windows live or outlook express.

I have no idea what newsgroups the entanet server carries (it may not carry binaries) or how long the retention is.

If you want decent access then you need to subscribe to a premium new server.

I too am with ADSL24 (Entanet) and can tell you that they only host the most popular text-based newsgroups (ie not binary ones) on news.enta.net

Most ISPs generally don't host binary newsgroups and if they do, they will usually be linux distros and open source software ones.

To the OP - I've got a Giganews account and use Grabit (on Windows) and Unison (on the Mac). Whilst Giganews is amongst the more expensive options (I pay $24.99 a month), they have the most extensive newsgroup list and have just upped their binary retention to 240 days.

Just to add, you can pay for Giganews through Paypal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £12.99?! Thats alot lol what does 240 day retention mean?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £12.99?! Thats alot lol what does 240 day retention mean?

Yeah, they have cheaper options though. 240 days retention means that, once a file (or usually a file split across several rar archives) has been uploaded to that newsgroup, it is available for 240 days until it is removed from the newsgroup. Most of the time, the more popular items/files get re-uploaded anyway. It helps to cut down on storage capacity on the servers for their to be an expiry date.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amilo wrote: »
    Thanks!I'm afraid I don't have a credit card so I am probably wasting my time trying to set this up if it can't be done for free.I have unlimited downloads with my provider so I don't need to worry about that.

They are free news servers but they are usually very slow and the newsgroups they carry are limited.

Googling - free new servers - brings up links.

Using the free software and connecting to one of the free newservers will give you some idea of what usenet is like but you wont see the binaries that are available.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thing is, why do people use newsgroups when there are private torrents out there? I always wondered that. I know its a little more anonymous, but surely paying for it is more risky?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is there a free trial i can have a go at with giganews or a paypal option site without paying anything? just so i can see what its like?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thing is, why do people use newsgroups when there are private torrents out there? I always wondered that. I know its a little more anonymous, but surely paying for it is more risky?!

Because with torrents, you are also uploading what you have downloaded - and this is what you get caught for (if for arguments sake you were downloading something copyrighted). With newsgroups, you don't have to upload a single thing and speeds tend to be limited only to your broadband speed - ie. if your broadband connection is 5Mb, on a newsgroup you will generally download at that full 5Mb.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    surely the high up people know about newsgroups aswell? i really want to have a go at newsgroups, but dont wanna pay alot. id be happy to be able to download say 40gb per mth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is there a free trial i can have a go at with giganews or a paypal option site without paying anything? just so i can see what its like?

Usenext offer a free trial which is no-obligation based. www.usenext.com It also has its own software for use on its servers which includes search amongst other things. This is what most binary newsgroup newcomers tend to use as its fairly easy to get the hang of.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    surely the high up people know about newsgroups aswell? i really want to have a go at newsgroups, but dont wanna pay alot. id be happy to be able to download say 40gb per mth.

It would be illegal for anyone to have a look at what you are downloading through means of snooping about your ISP.

With torrents, however, you are uploading the content which is classified as distributing copyrighted material - which is illegal.

Giganews offer 25Gb for $12.99 which is about £6-7.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Usenext offer a free trial which is no-obligation based. www.usenext.com It also has its own software for use on its servers which includes search amongst other things. This is what most binary newsgroup newcomers tend to use as its fairly easy to get the hang of.

you have to give credit card details for the free trial?
  • Options
    slipperydaveslipperydave Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    Virgin's newsgroups are OK (if you're with Virgin and don't mind only 7 days retention). They give you access to text as well as binary groups.

As for newsgroups, you can get accounts that give you SSL encryption so from their server to your PC is totally secure (more so than private torrents). Private torrents can be quick, but newsgroups are always faster, you don't have to upload anything and most of the scene stuff comes out there first.
  • Options
    slipperydaveslipperydave Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    you have to give credit card details for the free trial?
    they accept PayPal as well.
  • Options
    fraserafrasera Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    newsgroups soon to be dead..look how many disregarded the rule. one doesn't talk about newsgroups.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    frasera wrote: »
    newsgroups soon to be dead..look how many disregarded the rule. one doesn't talk about newsgroups.

Where's that in DS's T&Cs then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    frasera wrote: »

There's been loads of threads about usenet.

This forum is about giving helpful advice
  • Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    If you don't upload to the newsgroups , umm, where does the material you are downloading come from ?? ( yes I know nothing about this )
    Tried Limewire , u torrent and bittorrent with not a lot of luck and long waits to get anything ... and then suddenly it speeds up and I think it's ok again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    If you don't upload to the newsgroups , umm, where does the material you are downloading come from ?? ( yes I know nothing about this )

This is something that has actually got me puzzled. I was browsing through the high def groups and noted that someone had posted a blu-ray rip of 38gb. The entire upload had taken only 5 hours. It would take me 15 hours to download and at maximum theoritical speed around 14 days to upload (I might have worked that out wrong?)

The people posting the files aren't doing it from the UK. I have no idea who would have upload connections that fast?