Do you like Comedy VT's or do you prefer training video clips?

Mrs BBVMrs BBV Posts: 3,003
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just curious.

I just wonder if the SCD production give us what we want or what they think we want?

Comedy VT's or Training Clips 80 votes

Comedy VT's.
3% 3 votes
Training Clips.
85% 68 votes
A combination of the two.
11% 9 votes

Comments

• Mrs BBVMrs BBV Posts: 3,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where's my Poll? :confused:
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Training clips all the way.

The "comedy" VTs are generally so far removed from being funny, they are painful to watch (and offer no insight into the training).
  • Mrs BBVMrs BBV Posts: 3,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I often wonder whether the comedy VTs were introduced as a cost cutting measure?
  • Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes they're good but I remember on one season it was pretty much every week the VT was a comedy skit and it received complaints. So thankfully its been cut back.

Judy Murray's VT on Halloween week was funny. I like those kind. Especially if it's for a panto comedy contestant.
  • dancing.queendancing.queen Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind a comedy VT every now and then but when it's every contestant every week I hate them.
  • fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    More often than not, the more natural comedy would arise in the training videos anyway, rather than the gimmicks they usually serve up.
  • J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    danielleh wrote: »
    More often than not, the more natural comedy would arise in the training videos anyway, rather than the gimmicks they usually serve up.

I remember a naturally funny moment with Vincent and his partner (sorry can't remember her name) She couldn't understand if he was telling her to pause or pose - the more he tried to say it right the funnier it got.
    Much prefer something spontaneous to anything contrived.
  • shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I miss the training footage - i find it easier to warm to pairings when you can see what they're like in training. Instead we're stuck with really unfunny VTs that everyone clearly hates having to do anyway.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that is fairly comprehensive!
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess as the beeb thinks it's "just an entertainment" show, watched mainly by non-dancers, they feel the comedy clips are more entertaining.

However, I think they underestimate their audience. To sit through weeks and weeks of a show based on dancing, viewers must surely find some 'entertainment' value and interest in the actual dancing, not JUST the fun side? And therefore would be more interested in training clips - with perhaps the occasional comedy clip thrown in for good measure?
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Comedy is fine with me. It's a light hearted entertainment show after all. Probably introduced it as it puts in directly into entertainment not a serious dance competition mode. Training footage is on ITT for those who want to see it.
  • Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer the training clips. Perfectly happy for them to be funny, but I prefer the more 'natural' comedy - there are lots of funny moments and entertaining aspects just in their natural training. The 'comedy VTs' just make me cringe.
  • firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Training clips, the show has become overrun with unfunny skits.
  • pon farrpon farr Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    Training all the way over comedy, although a better description of these “so called” comedy VTs in my opinion is 'painfully contrived VTs'.
  • aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs BBV wrote: »
    I often wonder whether the comedy VTs were introduced as a cost cutting measure?

I'm not sure - the camera is set up in the training rooms anyway and we are allowed to see teasers on ITT - so any addition to that is going to potentially cost more not less?

Can Carol Smilie have a word and tell a couple of contestants how popular Carol Cam was :D
  • edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will never forget poor Patrick getting injured because of a stupid Vt >:(>:( >:( so that answers the question.
    I would rather see how couples are doing in training.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having camera crews recording all the training, then editors sifting through it and putting comedy together is expensive, but gives great results if the raw material is there.
    Its a lot cheaper to have someone on job experience think up funny ideas for a VT and then throw those together as cheaply as possible.

Plus - now that it is much less of a real dance contest and more of an arranged 'happening', there is less reason for the participants to be committed and get emotional about it, so there is likely to be less raw material from training. If you are doing a Paso to Rumba music after flying in on a crane sitting on a bicycle, it doesn't really matter what you do.
  • aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fatskia wrote: »
    Having camera crews recording all the training, then editors sifting through it and putting comedy together is expensive, but gives great results if the raw material is there.
    Its a lot cheaper to have someone on job experience think up funny ideas for a VT and then throw those together as cheaply as possible.

Plus - now that it is much less of a real dance contest and more of an arranged 'happening', there is less reason for the participants to be committed and get emotional about it, so there is likely to be less raw material from training. If you are doing a Paso to Rumba music after flying in on a crane sitting on a bicycle, it doesn't really matter what you do.

Yes, but a lot of the time the comedy VT involves filming at other locations - various sporting venues, theme parks, clubs and pubs and the like - I would have thought the cost of setting that up outweighed finding a normal training clip - especially when the person doing the filming could point them in the right direction - and someone is obviously doing it for ITT anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aggs wrote: »
    Yes, but a lot of the time the comedy VT involves filming at other locations - various sporting venues, theme parks, clubs and pubs and the like - I would have thought the cost of setting that up outweighed finding a normal training clip - especially when the person doing the filming could point them in the right direction - and someone is obviously doing it for ITT anyway.

Maybe.

The other element is unpredictability.
    With the VT, you have total control of it.
    With a training based VT, you depend on there being raw data.

Louise Rainbow seems to me like someone who doesn't like to feel there is an element of chance involved in keeping her job.
  • mirandawebmirandaweb Posts: 3,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Training clips, please. I want to see real people working with each other, not characters playing out sketches. Also, please, I beg you, producers, NO SOB STORIES!!!