Options

Infamous antipiracy lawyer gives up, abandons P2P cases

UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Under scrutiny from a judge, pressure from regulators, and bomb threats from the public, notorious UK antipiracy lawyer Andrew Crossley is getting out of the business. In the UK's special intellectual property court today, Crossley presented a statement saying that he was done sending out "speculative invoicing" letters demanding around £500 from accused peer-to-peer file-swappers, many of whom have totally denied the charges.
[...]
His scheme to profit from settlement letters brought some short-term rewards; the e-mails show him purchasing a Jeep Compass 2.4CVT, and a Bentley Arnage, and indicated that he "may buy a Ferrari F430 spider in a couple of months, but for cash." But it's also brought plenty of hassles, and may prove far less profitable when the venture is finally rolled up completely.
Perhaps it's time for reciprocative action from those who Crossley legally (or, as it turns out, not quite so legally) harrassed.

Comments

• Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An arse-head of the highest order.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrew Crossley is getting out of the business

Fantastic news.

Now lets hope that he is sued into bankruptcy by his victims.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a statement read to the court, solicitor Andrew Crossley said he had now ceased all such work.

He cited criminal attacks and bomb threats as reasons.

"I have ceased my work...I have been subject to criminal attack. My e-mails have been hacked. I have had death threats and bomb threats," he said in the statement, read to the court by MediaCAT's barrister Tim Ludbrook.

(BBC)

Serves him right for sending thousands of vexatious letters, threatening and harassing people, and attempting to litigate for profit instead of redress. Scumbag.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did any of you read that former ACS lawyers employees started up a new company called GCB and they are now doing the exact same thing, so its not over yet.
  • Options
    Star_BrightStar_Bright Posts: 11,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did any of you read that former ACS lawyers employees started up a new company called GCB and they are now doing the exact same thing, so its not over yet.

I remember going through all the emails. I wonder if the two who were flirting have banged yet!! :p
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Star_Bright, did you go through the emails as part of your job or is their a public link to them?
    Yes, in the article I quoted (but forgot to link to, sorry).

Birss knows about GCB and is going after them too.
  • Options
    Star_BrightStar_Bright Posts: 11,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    Star_Bright, did you go through the emails as part of your job or is their a public link to them?

The public link to them. Wasn't Crossley seeing his ex as well? Trying to help her get into the music biz :D
  • Options
    TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There was an interesting point raised in the case that an IP address is not necessarily legally watertight evidence though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    There was an interesting point raised in the case that an IP address is not necessarily legally watertight evidence though.

*Notes down to use a proxy server next when downloading Tron*
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's an intresting point. In most other circumstances they have to prove it's the person doing it. If your car is involved in a crime don't they have to prove you were behind the wheel? Yet IP addresses seem to be enough.
  • Options
    Magic8BallMagic8Ball Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I hope that's not Terence Tsang?! :eek:

Oh man, he has gone down in my estimations if he is involved in this, he was my favourite bumbling comic character in the whole sorry story.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You_mo wrote: »
    It's an intresting point. In most other circumstances they have to prove it's the person doing it. If your car is involved in a crime don't they have to prove you were behind the wheel?

In certain cases, no they don't - the registered keeper is prosecuted unless they shop another driver.
    Yet IP addresses seem to be enough.

Bear in mind these are civil actions, so the proof only needs to be on the balance of probabilities, not beyond reasonable doubt (i.e. 51% rather than 99%). And if your ISP can confirm that you were the subscriber allocated a particular IP address at the time of the download, that's pretty good evidence that it was going via your modem. What it doesn't prove is who was actually doing it though i.e. was it you, another member of your household, or somebody else using your wifi?
  • Options
    TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    In certain cases, no they don't - the registered keeper is prosecuted unless they shop another driver.

Bear in mind these are civil actions, so the proof only needs to be on the balance of probabilities, not beyond reasonable doubt (i.e. 51% rather than 99%). And if your ISP can confirm that you were the subscriber allocated a particular IP address at the time of the download, that's pretty good evidence that it was going via your modem. What it doesn't prove is who was actually doing it though i.e. was it you, another member of your household, or somebody else using your wifi?

Exactly. It doesn't prove who was doing it. Unless they are going to say that the person who subscribes is fully responsible for what is downloaded through their connection.