Options

Death in Paradise - Series 2

Comments

• Options
    jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oops, you beat me to it.

The other girl, priming her stock of stamps.

Similar to a jonathon creek last night

Great minds think alike - who cares which one of us though of it first! (Although I'm pretty chuffed I did - I'm usually useless at this sort of thing!) I'm happy to share the kudos with you!
  • Options
    RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Do you mean the one who played a gay son in death on the nile

I ended up imdb-ing him - he was in Muriel's Wedding and apparently in Zero Dark Thirty but I don't really remember him in that ...
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oops, you beat me to it.

The other girl, priming her stock of stamps.

Similar to a jonathon creek last night
    Great minds think alike - who cares which one of us though of it first! (Although I'm pretty chuffed I did - I'm usually useless at this sort of thing!) I'm happy to share the kudos with you!

Respect to both of you for figuring it out :)
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guessed it was the stamps as it's been done before, though whether that would be possible.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice episode tonight, really enjoying it Kris Marshall is really growing on me. Am enjoying how the support cast are getting more screen time too
  • Options
    Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mikey_C wrote: »
    Nice episode tonight, really enjoying it Kris Marshall is really growing on me. Am enjoying how the support cast are getting more screen time too

I agree
  • Options
    axe70axe70 Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    as soon as you worked out the stamps were the murder weapon
    the murderer had to be the one who was not on the island
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worked out the culprit, the motive and the method about half way through. Never used to be able to do that with DiP.

I find Kris Marshall a bit underpowered. His acting style seems slightly pastel compared to the other's bright colours. Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure the blue shirt he gave to Dwayne /Fidel hadn't appeared in the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good performance from Kathryn Drysdale, quite a change from her "Louise" character.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,713
    Forum Member
    'Kris' is ruining this show.
    Mikey_C wrote: »
    ... really enjoying it Kris Marshall is really growing on me....
    Hmmm :) And I think the ratings are holding steady; so I think that most people don't think he's "ruining" the show at all ;)

Tonight's ep only spoiled by the massive visual continuity errors.

1. The dates on the calls list. I don't think this series was supposed to start this soon!
    2. Watch the 'shampoo bottle' with the poison in it between scenes.
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, I didn't know you could still get stamps that you had to lick! I didn't get why they didn't look in the bathroom? Surely there must have been an ensuite, and surely the victim would have gone in there after drinking all evening? I realise they could have initially searched it off camera, but when the two detectives went back into the hotel room to check if they'd missed anything near the end, they never even mentioned the bathroom.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Next week's victim is a government minister which means the Commissioner will probably play a bigger role than normal
  • Options
    davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yay! I got the stamps about halfway through. The postcards had to be relevant somehow. Really enjoying this again, just good old fun.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,630
    Forum Member
    Can you ingest enough poison to kill from licking a stamp? Tip of the tongue test is often shown in detective stories.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Can you ingest enough poison to kill from licking a stamp? Tip of the tongue test is often shown in detective stories.

What, for poisons?.

That would be bloody stupid, as many poisons need only minute amounts to kill. What detectives in TV land seem to do a lot is test drugs such as coke by the "tongue test" method, in real life though I doubt they would take the risk.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davestoke wrote: »
    Yay! I got the stamps about halfway through. The postcards had to be relevant somehow. Really enjoying this again, just good old fun.

I'm with you dave, KM has really bedded in nicely, and the supporting cast were on form in last nights show.

The Poole is dead, long live the Humph!...

No Harry though....boooooooooo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably one of the most widely known example of the poison being ingested by being licked by the victim, was in the film; "The Name of The Rose."
  • Options
    GloriaSnockersGloriaSnockers Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Humphrey waved the make-up brush around and asked 'What on earth do women do with this?' I knew immediately that a make-up brush would figure in the solution and spent most of the episode thinking that the poison was in the victim's lip gloss, but couldn't figure out why she would have been applying it in the middle of the night.

I'm very impressed with the speed of the island's internet connection - all it took for Humphrey to discover that the best make-up brushes are made of goat's hair was a few taps on the keyboard and a glance at the screen. All done in less time than it takes for a page on my fast broadband connection to load. He must be quite a speedy reader too.

I thought he was really over-dramatic in the 'gathering people together at the end' bit this week. At one point I expected him to fall to his knees clutching a skull thrown by somebody off-camera and proclaim 'Alas, poor Yorick - I knew him well!'

I loved Dwayne adopting plain clothes and then attempting to look incognito in the motorbike and sidecar which must be known to every resident over the length and breadth of the island :) I also laughed at the shirt thing because something very similar happened to us once when we bumped into a friend wearing a hideous Hawaiian shirt at a football match. My husband was politely enthusiastic about it because he didn't want to hurt the bloke's feelings - next time we went into our local the guy had the shirt in a carrier bag ready to give to him 'because he'd liked it so much'. Truth is definitely every bit as strange as fiction :)
  • Options
    marsch_labbmarsch_labb Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got the right person but i thought she had arrived earlier than she said.

The spicy stew scene really made me laugh. Not original but much more believable than falling out of a window!

I like the way Humphrey uses his team strenghts even when it's not by the book. Like when he asked Dwayne about unofficial gamblin establishment.

Another good one :)
  • Options
    Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davestoke wrote: »

On Monday, there was a Jonathon Creek repeat on Drama. The method used was similar. In that case a stamped addressed envelope was sent to the victim, to return a book. When he licked the envelope, he was poisoned.

They do seem to flag up the key trick. In last week's show they kept reminding us about the timing of the murder and how it must have been a women that did it - therefore neither were true, and this week they kept mentioning that the woman who turned out to be the killer was in the air at the time of the murder, therefore her alibi was sure to be worthless.

Still lots of fun, though.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Good episode but a few things don't add up!

We see Humph making a big thing about the large makeup brush, implying he doesn't know too much about them, but then magically connects that to the poison even though a different brush was used, so had no way in knowing if it was done that way.

Secondly bloody handy that the exact poison bottle she choose before getting to the island was exactly the same as the one she picked out of the trash in her BF's room.

Third, how the hell do you clean a shampoo bottle without wiping off any fingerprints, it's very hard to get all the shampoo out of a normal shampoo bottle, let alone a little one like that, without manhadling it so to speak, but that was a minor point.

Fourth, why didn't she see the hair, while decanting the poison from her bottle to the new bottle?
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed the episode and actually got that it was the stamps. Very pleased with self as a result. OH thought it was the gay guy, the one who hated the victim and said he didn't care if he didn't get promoted. The scene where he was interviewd and said that he seemed very gay indeed, almost a caricature.
  • Options
    SallysallySallysally Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    Like most here, I guessed the perpetrator as soon as she appeared, but I confess the stamps just passed me by. I assumed it was on the make-up brush itself - but putting on make-up in the middle of the night?I did not think that one through, did I?!!

Anyway, apart from the non-appearance of Harry (they must have a budget for CGI and have run out for the moment) a thoroughly enjoyable show. Absolutely hit the spot with the wind howling and the rain splattering the windows outside last night!
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Secondly bloody handy that the exact poison bottle she choose before getting to the island was exactly the same as the one she picked out of the trash in her BF's room.

A better question would be: why was she still carrying around the phial of poison that she had used?
    Since the deed (doctoring the stamps) had been done long ago, there would be no need to keep the poison on her person or in her bags. Even if the ploy hadn't worked, it would have been better to have stashed it elsewhere, rather than carrying the "smoking gun" all around the world and risking a customs search. (and, since it was so powerful that just a lick of it was enough to kill, why did she have enough in the bottle to knock-off half the island?)

So we have had 4 episodes of this series: 2 of them have been poisonings. We are also told in other cop-shows that poison is a woman's weapon and that seems to have been the case here, too.
    Getting a bit samey?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RFS wrote: »
    Ohhhh the stamps!!! Well done Eater Sundae!!!

Well done. I didn't think of that: I was convinced the poison was on the end of the pen and she put it in her mouth.

Again, I guessed whodunnit very early, since the last three episodes have followed exactly the same formula: it's never one of the original suspects the team put up on the board. This trick is all very well to pull occasionally, but if they keep using it every week it becomes obvious who the culprit is. The 'cast iron' alibi also made me instantly suspicious.