advice needed re tax credits - payment owed what happens?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 399
Forum Member
hi

just had letter from HMRC after submitting our renewal for 2013/14 and according to their figures, we owe them £260. This hasn't happened before, and I was hoping someone on here might have gone through similar and can advise as I've just phoned their awful helpline waited 3 mins then got told "too busy to speak to you goodbye".
there is no payment information on the back so I assume this means they aren't paying me anything else? but if it is is the case, what am I supposed to live on?! bit stressed about it and can't speak to anyone as they won't take my call. I am a carer for my disabled toddler son so can't work. Thanks for reading.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CAB is your best port of call, then support from your MP, if HMRC are not helpful.

MP's have a hotline for such matters, and get taken notice of when ordinary mortals are ignored. They can often get sums written off when such action has previously been refused.
  • 3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would hope that if you mention financial difficulties as the end result of you paying them everything back all at once, they would have to back off and agree a repayment plan.

As has been suggested already, I'd try the CAB and your MP as well as trying to get through again on the phones.

What other income do you have?

Surely you don't just live on tax credits?
  • carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are still getting Tax Credits, they will just take it off over a period.
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look at their website https://www.gov.uk/tax-credits-overpayments
    The Tax Credit Office will tell you what you owe and how the money can be repaid.

If you don’t pay, HMRC can change your tax code to collect the money owed. They’ll write explaining how this works. To ask them not to do this and pay another way you must contact the Tax Credit Payment Helpline within 30 days of their letter.

So it looks automatic ... And that they should have told you how they were doing to do this.

But in any case you can challenge their decision this outlines the process
    https://www.gov.uk/tax-credits-overpayments/dispute-form-tc846
    but I think the CAB is a good place to go.
    After looking at the form ... And get them to fill it in.
  • KalmiaKalmia Posts: 493
    Forum Member
    If you are still receiving tax credits then your regular payments will be reduced to cover it. The amount it's reduced by depends on how much you get.

If you aren't getting tax credits, then they will (eventually) contact you directly about repayment options.

An award notice will come through with the details of your new payment amounts. If you can't wait for that (and sometimes they come through after the payment has changed) then you really need to speak to the helpline as they will have the information already. The best times to call used to be as soon as the helpline opened in the morning and early on Sundays, but I suspect it's busy all day as it's the renewal period...