Healthy waist to hip ratio

SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
Forum Member
✭✭✭
With a waist of 28.5" and hips of 35" I worked out my ratio was 0.82. I've lost some weight recently so I'm trying to fatten up at the moment. However looking online it suggests that for a man a healthy ratio is up to about 0.95. That suggests I can probably afford to add about 6 inches to my stomach without getting unhealthy. I have to say though that if I did that I'm convinced I'd be looking a bit tubby.

Comments

• Will_BeeWill_Bee Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can a mans hips be bigger than his waist?

Unless you look like this guy.....guy in street jpg
  • DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will_Bee wrote: »

Oh crikey :o
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He looks like that guy who was on X Factor last year
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,128
    Forum Member
    With a waist of 28.5" and hips of 35" I worked out my ratio was 0.82. I've lost some weight recently so I'm trying to fatten up at the moment. However looking online it suggests that for a man a healthy ratio is up to about 0.95. That suggests I can probably afford to add about 6 inches to my stomach without getting unhealthy. I have to say though that if I did that I'm convinced I'd be looking a bit tubby.

And what about your hips, how many inches do you think you can add to them? Do you mean you'll be ok if your waist is 34.5" and your hips 36"?
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    about 4 inches.
  • EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member

My OHs hips are bigger than his waist

And no he looks nothing like that guy
  • SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Men might not be as curvy as women but they do curve inwards from the hips to the small of the back and then outwards towards the chest. That is unless they have an unusually large stomach. I don't think I have dysmorphia but I just wonder if I'm a bit too sensitive about body fat.
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With a waist of 28.5" .... .......That suggests I can probably afford to add about 6 inches to my stomach without getting unhealthy. I have to say though that if I did that I'm convinced I'd be looking a bit tubby.
    Wow. I've never heard of a grown man with a waist so small. That sounds really unhealthy. Even a 34" waist is on the smaller end of average.
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow. I've never heard of a grown man with a waist so small. That sounds really unhealthy. Even a 34" waist is on the smaller end of average.

What? 30-32" is normal. After that unless you're a bodybuilder then you're edging towards podgy.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I would say, for the average person, one hip to one waist.
    Forum Member
    What? 30-32" is normal. After that unless you're a bodybuilder then you're edging towards podgy.

My OH isn't a bd builder, his waist is 35 and he's not podgy
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

Really? I'm a lardarse and I wear 34" trousers!
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My OH isn't a bd builder, his waist is 35 and he's not podgy

Unless he's proportionally of above-average height, a 35" waist on a man is not exactly svelte and that's just that.
  • hellsTinkerbellhellsTinkerbell Posts: 9,871
    Forum Member

That's not right.

Ive got a son with a 28 inch waist and he's as slim as can be.
    If he had 35 inch hips ...as his mother...i'd be worried.
    Forum Member
    Unless he's proportionally of above-average height, a 35" waist on a man is not exactly svelte and that's just that.

He can wear 32 jeans

His stomach is flat and he as the start of abs

He's not fat, not by a long way, not skinny either, has a large back and large shoulders
  • DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the 'waist/height' ratio works just as well, OP. Your waist should be 50% or less than your height. I think this works for men and women.
    So if you are 6' (72'') your waist should be 36'' or less.
  • luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, you only need to worry about those types of guidelines if you're in the 'danger zone' (ie: not in the ideal range). The point of it is to identify people who are overweight 'apple' shapes (carrying extra weight on the abdomen) because that type of overweight carries much higher risk of diabetes and heart disease than 'pear' shaped overweight (carrying extra weight on hips and thighs).

Also, your point about the extra waist measurement doesn't make sense. If you gained weight on your waist, then you would also gain weight on your hips, so your ratio would keep changing as you gained weight.

The guidance takes difference builds/body types into account.