Lord Weatherill had died

MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
Forum Member
✭✭
Bernard Weatherill, a former Speaker of the House has died.

I met him a couple of times when he was Speaker, and he was absolutely charming, and one of those people you just couldn't help liking.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From what I remember of the Maggie v Neil QTs, he was great in the chair. His Spitting Image puppet was funny. Last Speaker to wear the wig. RIP
  • tgsh2006tgsh2006 Posts: 537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And a Speaker Mrs T never ever wanted!
  • GeegGeeg Posts: 23,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    86 years old. :eek:

Blimey - that must mean I'm getting old to. I keep forgetting that these politicians from the 80s will have aged. How can that be 20 years ago?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Geeg wrote: »
    86 years old. :eek:

Blimey - that must mean I'm getting old to. I keep forgetting that these politicians from the 80s will have aged. How can that be 20 years ago?
    You know you are getting old when adults from your childhood start passing away :(
  • GeegGeeg Posts: 23,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darkpaw wrote: »
    You know you are getting old when adults from your childhood start passing away :(

That happened when people like MacMillan died - now these are adults from my adulthood that are passing away. :D
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,922
    Forum Member
    I remember him. Betty was an amazing speaker too - better than the old fart who does it now.

They said on Radio 4 that Lord Weatherill carried a silver thimble with him at all times... to remind himself of his background as a son of a tailor.