Virgin Is In The Dark Ages

joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,025
Forum Member
Virgin is in the Dark Ages now that most of Europe is gradually moving to the new tech standards
namely DVB-C2, HEVC and DOCSIS 3.1 and Virgin have now plans for this currently

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz8EmqCmZ8gLb1ctWTRTMDl5QWc/view?usp=sharing
This is from 22 September 2009

Comments

• Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    Each one of those things has a certain condition attached........money and lots of it is needed for upgrades. Thats why rollout is always progressive rather than being overnight.
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,025
    Forum Member
    Virgin is in the Dark Ages now that most of Europe is gradually moving to the new tech standards
    namely DVB-C2, HEVC and DOCSIS 3.1 and Virgin have now plans for this currently

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz8EmqCmZ8gLb1ctWTRTMDl5QWc/view?usp=sharing
    This is from 22 September 2009

I mean no plans for this
  • Andrewww342003Andrewww342003 Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    I mean no plans for this

They did at some point however new standards take time before they can be deployed and in the case of DVB-C2 there will need to be major upgrades to the cable network in order to take full advantage. One example being the higher QAM that DVB-C2 supports (upto 4096QAM, giving 83Mbits/s bandwidth) requiring a more robust network.

Also many euro operators have been slow to adopt C2, because there is no main driver for it, HD networks already launched on DVB-C and want to avoid changing consumer equipment due to the disruption of service. 4k may be a consideration but Virgin may prefer to deliver that through an IPTV connection similar to how BT delivers its 4k sports channels though Youview.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's probably fair to say that DOCSIS 3.1 is a bit too new for anyone to have concrete rollout plans in place. Headend hardware is only just coming out and compatible modems are few and far between.

Besides, as has been said, to get maximum benefit you have to do a lot of work and investment - it's not plug and play and everyone gets 1Gbit/s.

HEVC would need new boxes (maybe something from the UPC side), and at present there's nothing broadcasting in it so it'd have to be transcoded from MPEG2 or MPEG4. DVB-C2 may not be that necessary if Virgin doesn't think it has any capacity issues. I would imagine that any broadcast 4K channels will use both HEVC and C2 though.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,684
    Forum Member
    So not really "in the dark ages" at all then. Really never thought they were, to be honest.
  • stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    Virgin recently mentioned that they plan to upgrade its equipment (did mention horizon - yuck)

BT TV is running very well and prove that 4K can be delivered over internet just fine. Provided you are on infinity 2 and sit around 60-80meg the service is seamless, any lower speeds and being on infinity 1 will work but as the kids start torrenting and streaming well it will suffer.

Concept is very good though. I know wightFibre are going this way but have stalled and just provide broadband now. their legacy TV kit is all gone. (source: employee mate who works there on the network division)
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As others have mentioned 4K (or other advances in TV requiring more bandwidth e.g. HDR) may drive DVB-C2 but I can't see any other reason to be honest.

Broadband and cable TV compete for bandwidth on the same pipe so squeezing TV into a smaller space could open up more space for broadband.

But Virgin can also achieve that by driving fibre closer to homes and only using the coax bit from your nearest street cabs.

Apart from in capacity constrained areas, they have no incentive to do that either as they have speed leadership over BT et al until they launch G.Fast.
  • monkeyhanger09monkeyhanger09 Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    Fibre to the cab is currently getting installed in Middlesborough in Cleveland ....bringing fibre closer to the home and easing network congestion In high utilisation areas
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All of Virgin's network is fibre to the cabinet - except for those network expansions that are using a form of fibre to the premises (though, in practice it's going to have the same performance and same downsides as the rest of the network as it's just RF over glass)
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Currently much of Virgin's network is fibre to the node, but then coax to the street cabinets, and coax again to the property. Too many cabinets fed by a single node can cause the legendary peak-time speed problems. They are gradually adding more nodes and pushing fibre closer to the street cabinets to resolve this.
  • monkeyhanger09monkeyhanger09 Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    All of Virgin's network is fibre to the cabinet - except for those network expansions that are using a form of fibre to the premises (though, in practice it's going to have the same performance and same downsides as the rest of the network as it's just RF over glass)

The city I mentioned had not only got fttn is also getting fttc pushing the fibre even deeper and closer to the home in those areas there isn't now only one single point for the data handling all the traffic as it's now split off on its own fibre from the node to the cab so instead of using the coax from the node to the cab to the amp they ate instslling fibre from the node to cab and replacing the copper link merely using wave division multiplexing using the existing fibres from the node to the local hubsite /headend using the above method increasing the network capacity for that nodal area
  • GreeboGreebo Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The city I mentioned had not only got fttn is also getting fttc pushing the fibre even deeper and closer to the home in those areas there isn't now only one single point for the data handling all the traffic as it's now split off on its own fibre from the node to the cab so instead of using the coax from the node to the cab to the amp they ate instslling fibre from the node to cab and replacing the copper link merely using wave division multiplexing using the existing fibres from the node to the local hubsite /headend using the above method increasing the network capacity for that nodal area

Is this part of Virgin's Cable My Street rollout? There's a rollout starting near me and I'm curious if the new deployment still uses coax to the house.