McGann's spin off series

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
Forum Member
NOTE: this is probably already a topic, and if so tell me and this will be deleted strait awY, sorry for any inconvenience.

This is most probably already a topic but in case it isn't, ever since the night if the doctor McGann's (in my opinion) awesome performance has sparked something of a spark amongst the fandom for more of 8, after all he did never get the time to shine at all, so a petition has now reached 18,000 signatures for a 8 spin off show, showing the true face of the time war in all it's tragedy.
Please sign to help build towards the goal of 25,000 signatures to get a full look at 8!!!
http://www.change.org/petitions/steven-moffat-paul-mcgann-create-a-series-of-live-action-eighth-doctor-adventures#share

For me, rather than a whole spin off show, maybe 8 could accidentally clone himself ending up with a human double, and for protections sake delivers his clone far into the future to be looked after by a future version of himself (12) making the clone another companion but a sort of equal too.
Or for a much simpler way of doing it would just have 8 and 12 accidentally cross paths, and team up for a while.
Idk just some ideas, anyway sign it now!!!!

Comments

• Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Puca wrote: »
    NOTE: this is probably already a topic, and if so tell me and this will be deleted strait awY, sorry for any inconvenience.

This is most probably already a topic but in case it isn't, ever since the night if the doctor McGann's (in my opinion) awesome performance has sparked something of a spark amongst the fandom for more of 8, after all he did never get the time to shine at all, so a petition has now reached 18,000 signatures for a 8 spin off show, showing the true face of the time war in all it's tragedy.
    Please sign to help build towards the goal of 25,000 signatures to get a full look at 8!!!
    http://www.change.org/petitions/steven-moffat-paul-mcgann-create-a-series-of-live-action-eighth-doctor-adventures#share

For me, rather than a whole spin off show, maybe 8 could accidentally clone himself ending up with a human double, and for protections sake delivers his clone far into the future to be looked after by a future version of himself (12) making the clone another companion but a sort of equal too.
    Or for a much simpler way of doing it would just have 8 and 12 accidentally cross paths, and team up for a while.
    Idk just some ideas, anyway sign it now!!!!

Signed 6000 in, I'd personally like a web mini-series. Just a series of 5 or 6, Night Of The Doctor length iPlayer eps with an overall arc released once a fortnight during or between one of the runs.
  • Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This could get a million signatures and a spin-off still wouldn't get made.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Sora2311 wrote: »

But a million and one signatures and that would be a different story.

Believe me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But a million and one signatures and that would be a different story.

Believe me.

A million and 2 would get a feature length movie made.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Six seasons and a movie
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does McGann want to be in a spin-off show? Has anyone asked him?
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,409
    Forum Member

Whilst the petition is well-intentioned, there's zero chance of it succeeding I'm afraid. We shall just have to be content with Paul McGann's good Dr Who portrayals in the film, minisode and audio episodes. At least the 50th anniversary has helped to highlight his contribution to the phenomenon that is Dr Who.
  • doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    Does McGann want to be in a spin-off show? Has anyone asked him?

I think he would jump at the chance, in a heartbeat (or two ...)

He is very committed to Who, attending conventions, etc as well as all the audio work over the years.

He'd love the opportunity to return, I'm sure.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    This ain't happening.

The best you can hope for is that McGann might appear in an episode with Capaldi and even that's not a guarantee.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why not a John Hurt series then - The War Doctor.

Equally unlikely.
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member

This, basically. There is no way that the producers are going to have a spin-off with a rival Doctor. It simply wouldn't be courteous. Even if it was different from the main series, it would inevitably draw attention away from Capaldi. It's not like Torchwood or The Sarah Jane Adventures, which were companion pieces with different target markets. And the narrative would get even more confusing!
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    Why not a John Hurt series then - The War Doctor.

Equally unlikely.

I think that would be more likely, as Hurt isn't a numbered Doctor. He's not The Doctor in the way that McGann was and Capaldi is.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,282
    Forum Member
    would be better if someone started a petition for the pasternoster gang spin off as:
    a) the idea seems to have overwhelming support on the forum's anyway (well, this one at least)

b) this is something the bbc might actually consider making unlike the mcgann thing which is a sweet idea from fans but lets face it, not gonna happen
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moffat in November:
    One Doctor at a time is the real rule – ‘Who would be on the lunchbox?’ is always my question when we talk about having more than one Doctor.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about fans accept that they are just that and enjoy whatever the production team and BBC give us instead of wasting everybody's time with silly petitions which equate to little more than a collective stamping of feet?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Personally, when I signed that petition, oh so long ago, I didn't want a spin-off.

I just wanted a nice little miniseries. Even a web-based one.

Something that wouldn't rival Capaldi, but would still give us some screen time with an underused but fairly unweathered (honestly, he's aged better in the ~20 years since the movie than Tennant has in the 5 years since The End of Time) Doctor.

McGann said he would be up for it, so the only thing holding it back is Moffat saying no.

Him saying no is also why the petition is currently where it is, which is roughly the same number of signatures it was at when he gave his statement, pushing the kibosh on any McGann stuff.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yael Moise wrote: »
    McGann said he would be up for it, so the only thing holding it back is Moffat saying no.

Not really. Moffat doesn't control the BBC drama budget, nor scheduling choices. Its not up to him if a new TV series is to be made or not.
    Forum Member
    What makes me laugh is when this doesn't happen, there are going to be some fans who will blame Moffat for it, despite him already pointing out that he wouldn't do it.

McGann's Doctor is brilliant but some fans need to accept that he won't get his own series and move on from it.
    Forum Member
    Moffat in November:

Capaldi. All clothes, all merchandise would be Capaldi. McGann, like with Night Of The Doctor would live purely on iPlayer and the Red Button for the fans to watch if they wish. No obligation to watch on those unfamiliar, no confusion with merchandising, just an extra few mini episodes a year in place of the half hearted prequels for the fans, with their own self contained arc. It wouldn't distract from Capaldi, the press, most fans and average viewer would still be most interested in him, they'd just have a little something extra to watch between episodes or series. There really isn't a valid argument against it, they'd take a few days to write, a few days at the end of production to film and they're budgeted for especially by the BBC like the prequels are. Nothing else changes, nothing is effected, except iPlayer, which gets a few million extra views and something cool and long-value to promote it's other exclusive content with, and the DVDs, which as an additional feature, get to offer two series for the price of one. To not take the opportunity to do it would be, in my opinion, foolish.
    Forum Member
    Helbore wrote: »
    Not really. Moffat doesn't control the BBC drama budget, nor scheduling choices. Its not up to him if a new TV series is to be made or not.
    They get the minisode budget regardless, it's up to them what they do with it, why waste it on forgettable crap like companions seeing doubles of themselves in the TARDIS? They can and do do that stuff in actual episodes.
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    What makes me laugh is when this doesn't happen, there are going to be some fans who will blame Moffat for it, despite him already pointing out that he wouldn't do it.

McGann's Doctor is brilliant but some fans need to accept that he won't get his own series and move on from it.

And others need not to give in so early. Nothing worth having came easy. Look at how Russell fought for Nu Who.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    I think that would be more likely, as Hurt isn't a numbered Doctor. He's not The Doctor in the way that McGann was and Capaldi is.

how about a series that has an episode with McGann then goes to John Hurt as the war Doctor for the rest of them, or just have the McGann episode split up and done as several minisodes to lead into John Hurt's series with the Night of the Doctor slotted in bettween the McGann minisodes and the John Hurt series!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be interested to know how much NOTD has bumped Big Finish 8th Doctor sales.
    Forum Member
    They get the minisode budget regardless, it's up to them what they do with it, why waste it on forgettable crap like companions seeing doubles of themselves in the TARDIS? They can and do do that stuff in actual episodes.

And others need not to give in so early. Nothing worth having came easy. Look at how Russell fought for Nu Who.

More than likely we might get Mcgann/Capaldi in a minisode together or an actual episode but beyond that, I just don't think we'll see more of him. And I'm saying this as someone who likes McGann.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    A million and 2 would get a feature length movie made.

FFS no!!! The first movie was dire even though PMcG is a good actor. Nowhere near the quality of the Peter Cushing films.
    Forum Member
    Capaldi. All clothes, all merchandise would be Capaldi. McGann, like with Night Of The Doctor would live purely on iPlayer and the Red Button for the fans to watch if they wish. No obligation to watch on those unfamiliar, no confusion with merchandising, just an extra few mini episodes a year in place of the half hearted prequels for the fans, with their own self contained arc. It wouldn't distract from Capaldi, the press, most fans and average viewer would still be most interested in him, they'd just have a little something extra to watch between episodes or series. There really isn't a valid argument against it, they'd take a few days to write, a few days at the end of production to film and they're budgeted for especially by the BBC like the prequels are. Nothing else changes, nothing is effected, except iPlayer, which gets a few million extra views and something cool and long-value to promote it's other exclusive content with, and the DVDs, which as an additional feature, get to offer two series for the price of one. To not take the opportunity to do it would be, in my opinion, foolish.

Would McGann really want to play an 'understudy' Doctor? Also, I think the mainstream audience would be confused. They like to know who 'The Doctor' is, a bit like the new James Bond. Having more than one Doctor would lose focus.