How much money the law says you need to live on each week

Comments

• LadyCakeLadyCake Posts: 3,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky do basic deals but a lot of people have got it that are on benefits and I often think it's a bit of joke when people whine how much they're in poverty yet have a service like that.
    Even though people might get sweet FA, they often receive other benefits as well, can be free prescriptions, dental treatment, assistance with rent and tax etc.
    With things like DLA, in many cases that often just goes on luxuries, yet people who really need the money are often f*cked.

I don't know anymore but something does add up if people with jobs can't afford to run a car or have sky but others can. Having your rent paid must be nice as it saves you £££'s per month.
    I guess it depends on budgeting but being ill and incapacitated is a hard blow and there's not much help out there at all.
    It seems to me that the best illness to have is depression as i've been offered antidepressants quite a bit yet physical ailments have been ignored..

The country has gone mad so i'll step out of the thread as I can't make head nor tail of the system! Hope the OP receives more help as being physically ill , needing meds and various appointments is stressful enough without money worries:(
  • AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You want to try being a single bloke on JSA. A close friend of mine was recently made redundant from the job he'd had for about 25 years and was shocked to find out that they expect him to live on £65 per week. :eek:

£65 just about covers his bills, then they expect him to travel around on public transport to look for work too. At £1.80 a journey it's a just a big no-no really.
  • TombstoneTombstone Posts: 2,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jafsie wrote: »
    Where do you drive to to get to work Finland?

No idea what that is supposed to mean. If I have missed some incredibly witty retort then I apologise.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These days you are better off single.
    I think I and many single people would seriously disagree with your comment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Free dental treatment? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Can you find an NHS dentist? I've never had any free dental treatment on benefits (never known anybody that has had any free treatment either)/QUOTE]

I have an NHS dentist as does nearly everyone in my area. They are often advertising vacancies. I am always asked if I am on benefits when it comes to time to pay - I just point at my attire and they know I am not...................
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    You can't even buy that amount with decent shoes :rolleyes:
  • AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't even buy that amount with decent shoes :rolleyes:

I never realised shoes were legal tender.
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have an NHS dentist as does nearly everyone in my area. They are often advertising vacancies. I am always asked if I am on benefits when it comes to time to pay - I just point at my attire and they know I am not...................[/QUOTE]

Me too.

I always get asked "do you pay for your dental treatment?"

Same as when I take a prescription in...they always ask me....

Do I LOOK like a chav??? :D
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tombstone wrote: »
    50,000 miles a year in a comfortable car.

But 250 a week equates to 78000 miles, (and that's only allowing 30 mpg)

My car is my job and I don't use anything like that (and my car isn't exactly small - obviously more economical than yours though).

78000 miles a year in conditions that warrant 30 mpg must be some heavy duty driving.

In fact at an average of 50 mph thats 30 hours driving per week.

At an average of 30 mph it's 50 hours per week.
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    It was always possible to create a false reality when most people don't experience it themselves.

This myth of benefits luxury was created for political reasons and many people believed it since they were not experiencing the reality themselves.

Unfortunately for such people, now they are.

It will be hard to maintain the myth though, while so many new people are living the reality. So maybe this government will back down on some of their more horrible plans.

Such as people on the dole for more than 12 months paying 10% of their rent which is similar in concept to the unemployed paying 20% of their Council tax bill (with no 12 month delay) which was a Tory policy in the 1990's.
    Who knows what further 'surprises' will emerge from the 'spending review' on Wednesday?:confused::(
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been on Incapacity, I know for a FACT you can get free prescriptions for help with prescriptions and dentist, and have had both. Just send off for HC2 form which I thought you of all people would be aware of that. Those on income support get free treatment as well. I thought you being the benefit expert you'd know that.
    Most I had to wait to see an NHS dentist was a week I think, they did say a few months at first but when I said had broken tooth they booked me in emergency appt, then because they had seen me I was put on to the books.

Yes, I did..

That's the whole point though, there is no automatic entitlement to free prescriptions on Incapacity benefit.

If you look at the list of tick boxes on the back of a prescription sheet, Incapacity benefit isn't there.

You have to fill out HC2 and plead low income and let the NHS decide, but there isn't an automatic entitlement (as there is with IS, JSA and ESA)
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Dough wrote: »
    Such as people on the dole for more than 12 months paying 10% of their rent which is similar in concept to the unemployed paying 20% of their Council tax bill (with no 12 month delay) which was a Tory policy in the 1990's.
    Who knows what further 'surprises' will emerge from the 'spending review' on Wednesday?:confused::(
    10% is going to be quite a dent for someone struggling on £65 a week too.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LadyCake wrote: »
    I don't know anymore but something does add up if people with jobs can't afford to run a car or have sky but others can. Having your rent paid must be nice as it saves you £££'s per month.
    I guess it depends on budgeting but being ill and incapacitated is a hard blow and there's not much help out there at all.
    It seems to me that the best illness to have is depression as i've been offered antidepressants quite a bit yet physical ailments have been ignored..

The country has gone mad so i'll step out of the thread as I can't make head nor tail of the system! Hope the OP receives more help as being physically ill , needing meds and various appointments is stressful enough without money worries:(

It's not that complicated really. People just get more if the are ill/disabled or they have children to look after.
  • boxxboxx Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    Bloody hell - I spend 250 quid a week on petrol. :(

You're not supposed to drink it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But 250 a week equates to 78000 miles, (and that's only allowing 30 mpg)

My car is my job and I don't use anything like that (and my car isn't exactly small - obviously more economical than yours though).

78000 miles a year in conditions that warrant 30 mpg must be some heavy duty driving.

In fact at an average of 50 mph thats 30 hours driving per week.

At an average of 30 mph it's 50 hours per week.

Why are you basing your calculations on your car? You have no idea how or what I drive.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    Welcome to the new Tory Party. Same as the old Tory Party.

What's really scary is that the Lib Dems are supporting them. That's what political power, or at least a sniff at it, does for your principles.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The capital limit is £6,000, not £5k. They shouldn't be deducting anything if you have less than that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    10% is going to be quite a dent for someone struggling on £65 a week too.

Exactly and add in water rates which aren't far off a quid a day in most areas.At least there's no VAT levied on those bills (for now...........):rolleyes::(
  • *Clem**Clem* Posts: 4,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To get free prescriptions on incapacity benefit I think you have to have under 15k in savings. That's what I think it was when I saw the form a few years ago anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    Never tell them about your savings, transfer them to your parents or someone you trust for a short time until you're back off benefits ;)
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are you basing your calculations on your car? You have no idea how or what I drive.

No

I explained

I was basing my calculation on 30mpg

The driving hour calculation was based on the above mpg with the 2 speeds stated.

I at no time based the calculation on my car.

50,000 per year would equate to approx 19 mpg.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Job Seeker wrote: »
    Never tell them about your savings, transfer them to your parents or someone you trust for a short time until you're back off benefits ;)

How do you sleep at night?:confused::o
  • Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why should non-working people be provided with accommodation in areas that working people could never hope to afford?

And how is right that the plight of working people is exacerbated by the fact that these generous housing benefit payments place an artificial floor under private rental costs? They're basically being taxed to keep their housing costs high. It's f*cking immoral, and a nice little earner for buy to let scum.

Shows what you know. There are thousands of WORKING families in London who receive housing benefit as their income is too low to live in London.

Taxpayers are subsidising a low wage economy NOT buy to let investers. I'm not their biggest fan but ultimately if they buy at market values they have a right to expect their rental income to match their overheads.

The answer is to force employers to pay a wage that people can live on.

However whenever anyone such as a trade union makes a stand to protect employee terms and conditions from attacks aimed at making them poorer they are condemned by Tory supporters and these days Lib Dems too.

You reap what you sow. Paying billions in housing benefit was the price of selling off the council houses and not using the money to invest in new stock.

Britain is already gripped by a housing crisis. Don't be surprised if like everything else this Government is doing it turns a crisis into a socio-economic disaster that the next Labour Government has to spend billions trying to repair.

Just like it did in 1997.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    John Dough wrote: »
    How do you sleep at night?:confused::o

Safe in the knowledge I get everything I can ;):)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This explains it http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Employedorlookingforwork/DG_10018757

I read somewhere the other day about an argument a person had about Jsa being paid into a Bank account .

Far as I can work out hope i got this right. If the JSA pays the bank your JSA as your bank see it first, any direct debit you have comes straight out of it without you seeing it, when you go to check your account what they have given you to survive on, has been desecrated