Man United Supporters Thread (Part 26)

Comments

• NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's a random United-related debate:

If you had to time-travel and pick one of our specific matches to attend live, which one would it be?

Me? I'd pick 1999 when we beat Tottenham 2-1 on the final day. Even over the CL Final. Probably be the most nerve-wracking moment imaginable with just the scoreboard watching alone but the atmosphere and highlights from that game are chilling.

The CL league semi final(3-2 one) against Juventus just for the atmosphere(as well as Zidane and Davids and a few other half decent Juventus players:D). I watched that game from a hospital bed after having my daughter.
  • SSReportersSSReporters Posts: 9,523
    Forum Member
    The CL league semi final(3-2 one) against Juventus just for the atmosphere(as well as Zidane and Davids and a few other half decent Juventus players:D). I watched that game from a hospital bed after having my daughter.

At first this caught me off-guard yet I remembered you're a woman. I always forget who are the female members here beyond you, Tribec, and mel! :p

FA Cup vs. Liverpool also in '99 is a good shout I think. Andy Gray said something like "This is Liverpool's day" before Yorke and Ole scored.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you had to time-travel and pick one of our specific matches to attend live, which one would it be?

Me? I'd pick 1999 when we beat Tottenham 2-1 on the final day. Even over the CL Final. Probably be the most nerve-wracking moment imaginable with just the scoreboard watching alone but the atmosphere and highlights from that game are chilling.

I guess it would have to be a fairly entertaining game to make a person want to go back in time enough to go and watch it, so I would like to go and see the game which a certain someone on these boards has been to, and that would be the game where we beat Barcelona at Old Trafford in 1984, as the atmosphere from watching the pictures on the tv, certainly seems to be the best one that I have ever heard!
    Plus Robbo was immense that night, and I would have loved to have seen him play when he was good and at his best (rather than in a Masters match, which he was a bit past it, to put it kindly! :D;))
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tribec wrote: »
    I think the Community Shield is actually part of next season, so wouldn't be classed as this season. To be picky..

It'll also be at Villa Park, as Wembley will be being used for the Olympics.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think it would have to be the Champions League Final against Bayern.

I would have loved to have been there, watched the match instead in a packed pub.

Cried when Ole scored the winner. :o:):):)

To have been there in person that night would have been something else completely.
  • TribecTribec Posts: 9,310
    Forum Member
    At first this caught me off-guard yet I remembered you're a woman. I always forget who are the female members here beyond you, Tribec, and mel! :p

FA Cup vs. Liverpool also in '99 is a good shout I think. Andy Gray said something like "This is Liverpool's day" before Yorke and Ole scored.

Made all the better in many ways in having so many of them in the stadium. What wasn't shown on the tv was after Ole scored, Nev ran the whole length of the pitch and celebrated in front of them, promting them into outrage and a few seats ripped out and thrown at Nev. LOL, it made the badge kissing thing look like child's play.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    It'll also be at Villa Park, as Wembley will be being used for the Olympics.

It will certainly feel a bit different, with the "traditional curtain raiser" not being down South or in another country (i.e. Cardiff).

I would prefer to play Chelsea in that sort of match enviroment, as they wouldn't I do think play it as a "do or die" match, as Liverpool would I think, which if we played Liverpool, we could we end up with a few injuries, as they would go all out to beat us that much is for certain.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Game vs Madrid when Ronaldo scored a hat trick and Beckham made one of his final appearances for the club.

Star names all over the pitch that night.
  • Thank youThank you Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Villa could have taken the lead after just 25 seconds when Weimann had a one on one but hit the ball tamely at de Gea. If that went in then the whole game changers and the pressure would really be on if they taken that chance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you wrote: »
    Villa could have taken the lead after just 25 seconds when Weimann had a one on one but hit the ball tamely at de Gea. If that went in then the whole game changers and the pressure would really be on if they taken that chance.

Really? You think the games changes if we were to 1-0 down? :eek:

Dave had it covered, no worries, that is why we empoly him, to stop opposition players from scoring, and he did just that.

If's don't matter only facts do, and the fact is we won 4-0. ;)
  • SSReportersSSReporters Posts: 9,523
    Forum Member

Dave had it covered, no worries, that is why we empoly him, to stop opposition players from scoring, and he did just that.

Besides, this is McLeish. If they had gone 1-0 up they would've parked it for 90 minutes, probably had an actual bus on the pitch in the 2nd half, and we would've won 2 or 3-1 once we broke their resistance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes but with City winning on Saturday if Villa went in front, then the pressure would really be on us with Villa having something to hold on too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you wrote: »
    Yes but with City winning on Saturday if Villa went in front, then the pressure would really be on us with Villa having something to hold on too.

Again, "if's" do not matter one jot, the only things that do to rop Rafa of his best phrase "fachts" do.
    And the "facht" is we won 4-0, so all of the if's and but's mean nothing at all.
    We had 29 shots yesterday, if, to use your word, all of them had gone in, we would have scored 29 goals, but they didn't, only four of them did.
    So what if they had a shot that didn't go in, within the first 30 seconds, we had lots of other shots that didn't go in either, they only thing that matters, are the shots that did go in, and that actually counted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just watching the match on MUTV again, and Stewert on commentary called Berbatov when he came on as a sub the "forgotten man of Old Trafford", so if he is that, then what the heck is Michael Owen?! :D
    The "non-existant man of Old Trafford"? :D
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad Fergie has seen what everyone else can see, and is sick of;
    I think Wayne is the type of player who has to play on the edge in a game really, when it's a really close and competitive game. When it gets to that casual bit, he's worse than the rest of them. He gets so casual about it. He's better when he's right on the edge because he's a marvellous player when he's right on the edge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Again, "if's" do not matter one jot, the only things that do to rop Rafa of his best phrase "fachts" do.
    And the "facht" is we won 4-0, so all of the if's and but's mean nothing at all.
    We had 29 shots yesterday, if, to use your word, all of them had gone in, we would have scored 29 goals, but they didn't, only four of them did.
    So what if they had a shot that didn't go in, within the first 30 seconds, we had lots of other shots that didn't go in either, they only thing that matters, are the shots that did go in, and that actually counted.

Goals change games simple as that if Villa has taken that chance early on, then it would have been a completely different game altogether.
  • JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member

Ooooh I think it'd be the FA Cup final against Liverpool. We'd bought a house together in the March and I wanted to get the upgrade to fiancee but M wasn't that keen :(

He agreed that if Utd did the double then he'd marry me. I should add that Newcastle were 12 pts ahead of us!!! He thought he was on a safe bet.

Then obviously Cantona scored and everyone was ringing me saying 'congratulations!!!'. M went from leaping over the table when we scored to a look of 'oh crap' when he realised the consequence :D Fair play to him though we booked the church the week after so he stuck to his word.
  • BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad Fergie has seen what everyone else can see, and is sick of;

Rooney can do no right. He's not allowed by some fans to have dips in form. Even when he's on top of the world fans just invent another higher milestone to judge him by. If he plays like a world beater in the final four games and breaks his own personal goal scoring recorded the response from some will be a pause before deciding to rubbish his contribution on the basis that he isn't Ronaldo or Messi.

Whatever the player does it isn't good enough. He's on the verge of having his best ever season with us. Yet if you read the reviews and the comment and the opinion he's the reincarnation of Darron Gibson. It's astonishing, it really is.
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,462
    Forum Member
    Breaking news in the Telegraph - United have agreed a deal with Benfica for Gaitan for around £20M with Macheda joining them and Fabio going on a year's loan.
    Seems to be reporting it as fact but will not be confirmed until end of the season
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh that's good. Using Kiko to shave off a few quid is a smart move. That fiver could come in handy one day.
    Forum Member
    BomoLad wrote: »
    Rooney can do no right. He's not allowed by some fans to have dips in form. Even when he's on top of the world fans just invent another higher milestone to judge him by. If he plays like a world beater in the final four games and breaks his own personal goal scoring recorded the response from some will be a pause before deciding to rubbish his contribution on the basis that he isn't Ronaldo or Messi.

Whatever the player does it isn't good enough. He's on the verge of having his best ever season with us. Yet if you read the reviews and the comment and the opinion he's the reincarnation of Darron Gibson. It's astonishing, it really is.

He was on the radio this morning saying that he was disappointed in himself yesterday and that he knows he's got to do better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JoTaylor wrote: »
    He was on the radio this morning saying that he was disappointed in himself yesterday and that he knows he's got to do better.

He was poor yesterday. But these comments and slights against him are older than 24 hours. The desperation of some fans to dismiss him throughout the season has at times been painful. The guy is close to having the season of his life and people agonise into trying to contort and expound and expand every tiny bit of criticism to make it somehow defining. It's embarrassing and it happens to no other player.
    Forum Member
    Osusana wrote: »
    Breaking news in the Telegraph - United have agreed a deal with Benfica for Gaitan for around £20M with Macheda joining them and Fabio going on a year's loan.
    Seems to be reporting it as fact but will not be confirmed until end of the season

Didn't United state that no deal had been agreed for Gaitan, and almost dismiss him as a target yesterday? Though it could have been a smoke screen. United have again denied any deal again today.

I know he's OK, but I hope we don't go for him. Hazard is the player we want, more versitile than Gaitan.
    Forum Member
    BomoLad wrote: »
    He was poor yesterday. But these comments and slights against him are older than 24 hours. The desperation of some fans to dismiss him throughout the season has at times been painful. The guy is close to having the season of his life and people agonise into trying to contort and expound and expand every tiny bit of criticism to make it somehow defining. It's embarrassing and it happens to no other player.

No I agree - I was just sharing his interview. He obviously knew in his own mind that yesterday wasn't a good day at the office for him.
    Forum Member
    JoTaylor wrote: »
    No I agree - I was just sharing his interview. He obviously knew in his own mind that yesterday wasn't a good day at the office for him.

He wasn't at the races for sure, but he was still contributing. It was noticable that on the radio commontary before he scored, they'd noticed he'd given the ball away quite a lot in the previous 10 minutes, and were highlighting that when he scored. When he was coming off they said it must have been noted else where as well, and presumed he would have made way for Berbatov anyway goal or not.

Having listened to the game, watched the highlights and now seen the game in full, I want to praise 3 of our younger players. Evans is growing in confidence, some of his runs forward yesterday would have filled most people with fear 12 months ago. However such has been the improvement in his confidence with a good run in the team and playing well, that I don't think people are too bothered about the odd bomb forward. Great pass to Nani for the last goal as well. Rafael, another one that has benefitted from a run of games and at the point the where the team are flying. His skills going forward haven't been in doubt, just his defending, but that's come on so much over this run, as much as it had in 08/09. Finally Welbeck, OK I'm a fan, but watching him yesterday he seemed a different player to the one playing prior to the Wigan game when he was dropped. Maybe it was a wake up being dropped, whilst things didn't always come off, as was the case with Rooney, he never went missing, he continued to go looking and got his reward. He could have had a hat-trick yesterday, but 1 goal will do. His link up play in the last third was excellent.

Though of course, watching that game and a certain performance, you couldn't help but think that FIFA and every football association shouldn't just tear up the midfield coaching manual and instruct people to watch a video of Paul Scholes in action. Xavi and Iniesta seem to have done just that and added another layer to it, but for getting the building blocks of how to play that role Scholes is perfect.
This discussion has been closed.