Best looking console

pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,389
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What console do you think is the most aesthetically pleasing? The wii and wii u look like hard drives, the ps2 looks like a room heater and the PS3 an electric grill. Not quite sure what id describe the 360 as

Personally, I think the game cube was the best console, and its dinky discs always make me smile

Comments

• kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the black 360 slim even though its not slim lol, and yea the game cube is cool aswell all the others are boring
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 360S is the best looking console out of the current lot imo.

PlayStation's have never being good looking in my opinion, the PS2 fat and slim both pretty ugly. PS3 fat, was to fat, the slim looks pretty dull and the super slim is much the same.

The Xbox was to big and ugly.

The Wii was nothing more than DVD add-on, that's what it looked like to me, the Wii U isn't that much of an improvement.

Some say consoles should be made like hi-fi separates so they blend in to a home set-up, couldn't agree less, I think a games console should try to look exciting and futuristic. :D Gaming PC do a good job of standing out, I think that's what a gaming machine (console or PC) should aim for.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some say consoles should be made like hi-fi separates so they blend in to a home set-up, couldn't agree less, I think a games console should try to look exciting and futuristic. :D

You're wrong :p

Seriously though they all look pretty ugly and out of place in a lounge environment. And what with all the over heating issues this generation introduced we cant even shut the ugly boxes away in a TV cabinet either.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sega Saturn, and that's the best of a bad bunch. Consoles have never been aesthetically pleasing.
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    Pink PS2

/lock thread

:p
  • Titan9Titan9 Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sega Dreamcast
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The american SNEs has to be the worst. Hideous beyond belief. And i generally like purple
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The american SNEs has to be the worst. Hideous beyond belief. And i generally like purple

Agreed, it was god awful to look at.
  • boxxboxx Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member

Agree. Snes wins for me though.
    Neo Geo close second. God I wanted one of those!
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    A European Mega Drive 1. The Original Playstation is also a close second.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Megadrive 2 looked slick always loved that console, gutted when Sega stopped releasing consoles.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I always liked the look of their controller though, but I agreed about the system it look horrible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    This is why Apple should make a console.

Just imagine what designs Jony Ive's lot would come up with.
  • scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    The Atari 2600 woody.

End thread.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Vita...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sega Dreamcast

Agreed +1
  • scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    bob2005 wrote: »
    Megadrive 2 looked slick always loved that console, gutted when Sega stopped releasing consoles.

It wasnt half as slick as the MD1. If I remember the MD2 had crappy push in buttons to turn it on/off and reset.
  • ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    N64
    Gamecube
    Black 360 Slim
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gamecube in purple or the Atari VCS with wooden effect vanier.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Black 360 slim? give me a break, it's a square black box.

For me it's the original Fat PS3, it's a behemoth, completely imposing, and completely different to anything that's been under my TV before or since.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably a Gamecube. Though to be honest they're all fairly bulky and ugly in their own way.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamegg wrote: »
    This is why Apple should make a console.

Just imagine what designs Jony Ive's lot would come up with.

It'd be white, with brushed steel and rounded edges.

So imaginative.
  • steven123steven123 Posts: 3,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd have to say Panasonic 3DO FZ1 for best looking console of all time, really smart design (front loading based on VHS style) and looks unlike any other console before or after it. Most people probably never heard of it, was out between 1993 and 96, wasn't very successful due to it's stupid price at the time but built up a library of around 200 games over it's time with some pretty decent ones (though also a lot of interactive full motion video titles too). The system looks especially cool when both the (green and red) power and disc access lights are on.

I also like the simple clean look of the Sega Dreamcast and the Sega Multimega, a rare combination Megadrive and Mega CD unit all in a box a little smaller than a Nintendo Wii, really smart looking console and getting collectable now (wish I'd kept mine). As some other ppl have mentioned I also quite like the look of the original Megadrive though think they spoiled it with MD2.

As for the current gen, I think my favourite is the 360S, really good improvement on the original and looks a bit more appealing than PS3, though I wouldn't say I mind the way the PS3 or Wii look either, just not quite as distinctive.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phat PS3 in black.

Putting the grill comparisons to one side, like the earlier poster said it was a shiny, curvy behemoth of technology that immediately drew your attention.