Options

Is their anything out there to rival the iPhone at the min?

dave81ukdave81uk Posts: 1,407
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I do love my iPhone but battery life and lack of something as simple as a radio bug me, however what I do love about my iPhone is how polished everything is, a nokia 5800 can do everything an iPhone can but it just looks crap. I had my eye on a desire, they seem to get mixed reviews, loved by those who've never had an iPhone, hated by those who have, they are also overpriced. Either way I'd love a change from an iPhone but only to somthing better.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know what reviews you have been reading but many reviews I have read from Iphone owners have commented that the Desire is far superior to their iphones, as the Desire is faster, has a removable battery, can multitask and can do so much more the iphone can't (appareently).
  • Options
    SPARKIE1984SPARKIE1984 Posts: 1,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im in the same conundrum!!!!!

im starting to get the itch to change handset now as ive had mine almost a year,

but im going to see what the new iphone brings.... as id regret it if i got a desire and a new iphone embarrassed it......

plus im stuck on payg at the moment
  • Options
    tomorrowtomorrow Posts: 32,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A particular phone might be perfect for one person, but not another.

Make your own choices .. ask to look at friend's phones

Only you can make the decision for you ... most people have already really made up their minds as to what they want

I would say Sparkie is going to get the new iphone whatever its specs for example ...
  • Options
    pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dave81uk wrote: »
    I had my eye on a desire, they seem to get mixed reviews, loved by those who've never had an iPhone, hated by those who have, they are also overpriced.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "overpriced". I've just ordered a SIM-free HTC Desire for £399; a SIM-free iPhone 3GS seems to retail anywhere from about £600 upwards. I know which I would consider "overpriced" ;)

I've also not seen these mixed reviews - every professional review I've read has positively raved about it. The only bad reviews I've read have been the usual cretinous "teh Dezire sucks balls man, iPHOne FTW111!!!!11 HTC shud get canser and die man" arguments you find floating around YouTube and less prestigious forums. Ultimately, though, Apple have some amazing brand loyalty and even if the Desire was, technically, better than the iPhone, fans of the latter would still find some nit to pick in order to justify to themselves the iPhone is "better". And whilst brand loyalty is good (look how many people continue to buy Audis when they could get practically the same car in a Skoda or SEAT* for £6k cheaper), sometimes you miss out on an awesome thing through sheer blinkeredness.

(* Maybe, as I've just ordered a new SEAT too, it turns out I'm just a fan of the underdog :))
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say the Blackberry or the HDTC phone :) I have the blackberry and prefer it over my old iphone.
  • Options
    legends wear 7legends wear 7 Posts: 2,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think a more accruate question would be, is there a phone to rival the htc desire.

In order at this time I'd buy :
    htc desire
    htc legend
    iPhone
  • Options
    SPARKIE1984SPARKIE1984 Posts: 1,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomorrow wrote: »
    A particular phone might be perfect for one person, but not another.

Make your own choices .. ask to look at friend's phones

Only you can make the decision for you ... most people have already really made up their minds as to what they want

I would say Sparkie is going to get the new iphone whatever its specs for example ...

if its a reasonable spec, along with the os4 upgrade then course i will, mainly for easiness, stick with what you know and all that.....

but to be honest if its ropey and theres better out there then i may just change, i dont have tremendous loyalty to apple in the phone dept, sure i like their stuff (not their prices though) but always been a bit disappointed with the iphones! 3gs is what it should have always been to be honest, (not having a 2g and 3g)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the battery life bugs you on the iPhone then it will bug you even more on the Desire plus I personally can't stand FM radio. I am glad the iPhone doesn't have it. Not only that it has apps like TuneIn Radio which work over EDGE/3G/Wi-Fi plus you have personalised radio like Last.fm. Similarly, Android has many great radio apps.

I have to say the Desire is a nice phone and I am tempted myself. Android and HTC are catching up with Apple. However, I have got to think that Apple is going to release something in June that will make the Desire and Nexus One look old the way the Desire makes the 3GS look old today. Not only that, I have used iPhones since they first were introduced in 2007 and they have never let me down and Apple has continued to drive forward with continuing updates and the iPad so I have a trust and faith in Apple products. Even though they may not technically be the best, they feel the best to me.

I am guessing the new iPhone will have at least a 5MP camera, a 1GHz processor (possibly the one they put in the iPad), similar screen technology they used in the iPad, and hopefully similar battery technology. A day of heavy use would be fine for me as I charge my phone every night anyway.

Don't get me wrong. I really like the Desire, but I feel if I commit to a 2 year contract I will end up regretting it in June, not only that, I have a ton of apps and accessories I have on iPhone.
  • Options
    dave81ukdave81uk Posts: 1,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio apps aren't much use with no signal or wifi, I listen to my iPhone all day at work, it would be nice to hear the news headlines once in a while, the iPhone has a radio chip, it just needs enabled, even the £30 phone is asda have such a basic feature.
  • Options
    onephatonephat Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dave81uk wrote: »
    I do love my iPhone but battery life and lack of something as simple as a radio bug me, however what I do love about my iPhone is how polished everything is, a nokia 5800 can do everything an iPhone can but it just looks crap. I had my eye on a desire, they seem to get mixed reviews, loved by those who've never had an iPhone, hated by those who have, they are also overpriced. Either way I'd love a change from an iPhone but only to somthing better.

I was one of the saddo's who waited outside the o2 shop for the launch of the first iphone as well as the 3g. Ive been apple through and through for everything for the past 1-15 years however i made the decision to go for the desire the other week as i'm fed up of the closed environment of the iphone. Best move i've ever made, i'm still learning half the stuff it does but it kicks the iphone arse heavily. How it will compare to the iphone 4g remains to be seen but i'm sold on the android os.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    onephat, its a miracle you were able to escape :)

In fact alot of people never get out of the Apple ecosystem simply due to the fact that they have bought into itunes/apps by the bucket load and will lose all that investment if they move to another brand.