Options

I Miss Tom Baker's and 1, 2 & 3's Kind of Doctor

DetectiveBeaDetectiveBea Posts: 857
Forum Member
✭✭
I am so tired of The Doctor having to be reminded that he doesn't kill. (I only just saw DW Season 7 Episode 3 so don't spoil me on episode 4.) The fourth Doctor, Tom Baker's Doctor didn't need his bimbo companion (Sorry but Amy is a bimbo IMO) helping him to make ethical decisions. Tom Baker's Doctor would NEVER threaten to shoot someone or push someone in the line of fire.

WHY have they ruined the self reliance of The Doctor post Rose? Oh, and I HATED the Rose/Doctor romance. TOTALLY ruined it for me. I liked it better when they left it to the imagination of the viewer.

I could go on but I am sure that I will already be lambasted by Tennant groupie girls.

Oh and one more thing.... WHY do they insist on listing the seasons as Eccleston season 1....to 2012 Season...7???

Doesn't that negate ALL the prior Doctor Who's and seasons? Oh well, they are rewriting Doctor Who and overlooking history so why NOT???:mad:

Comments

• Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picking one aspect at random:
    The fourth Doctor, Tom Baker's Doctor didn't need his bimbo companion ... helping him to make ethical decisions.

The "Do I have the right?" speech in Genesis of the Daleks says otherwise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »
    Picking one aspect at random:

The "Do I have the right?" speech in Genesis of the Daleks says otherwise.

Pick as many out as you want. The truth is..., The Doctor has been weakened. They've turned him into a weak indecisive character.

Don't get me wrong... I LIKE strong companions. I just don't like The Doctor constantly needing the guidance of a Mother like and/or female maternal and so "Obviously" :rolleyes: more ethical and logical character.

I miss the time when The Doctor always KNEW he could outwit his enemies and didn't NEED to play on their violent terms. I miss the Ultimate smart Doctor. The Bumbling Doctor is too much clown and not enough sheer intelligent confidence. They may as well call the show... Doctor Who and Companions... or even... The Companions and That Doctor Guy.
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The truth is..., The Doctor has been weakened.
    You're confusing truth and opinion. Strength is a subjective quality.
    They've turned him into a weak indecisive character.
    I appreciate you're referring to A Town Called Mercy so I guess the main issue is the Doctor's decision first to hand Kahler over, then to prevent the townsfolk from doing the same thing, then to help him escape.

Some people might say that this Doctor was being less weak than his previous incarnations as per his own thoughts — always letting the Daleks, the Master, etc, survive the end of one story only for them to pop up at a later point and kill a few thousand more they is weak. The attempt to protect the townsfolk by handing Kahler over was therefore strong.

Others — myself included — would say that talking down a lynch mob to save those in the mob from a permanent taint was a sign of strength in that it showed the Doctor's willingness to apply his standards even when in direct contradiction to everyone else's.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Four break someone's neck?
  • Options
    steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do miss the days of when the show meant something and all fans do these days is go on about how great the show is when the only thing decent is the special effects.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am so tired of The Doctor having to be reminded that he doesn't kill.

The Doctor does kill. Please locate the 10,000 threads on the matter. Or watch a video of all of The Doctor's kills. There was also this little event called The Time War. We may not have seen it, but it sure happened. Post-Time War Doctors are different beasts to tackle.
    WHY have they ruined the self reliance of The Doctor post Rose? Oh, and I HATED the Rose/Doctor romance. TOTALLY ruined it for me. I liked it better when they left it to the imagination of the viewer.

Well they're both gone now, as is the writer of that arc, so let us never speak of it again
    Oh and one more thing.... WHY do they insist on listing the seasons as Eccleston season 1....to 2012 Season...7???

They don't. Classic Series Who were classed as seasons. A run of New-Who is a series.
    Oh well, they are rewriting Doctor Who and overlooking history so why NOT???

Please don't jump to such wild conclusions.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Doctor has always been a bit flakey on the whole killing thing. He wanted to bash someones head in during the very first episode if ny viewing of that is accurate. However wouldnt that be the case of most people ? If the circumstances forced your hand you might have to suspend whatever moral objection you had and then take a life. Does not mean you would be happy to do so.

Wasnt this done just to avoid confusion to new people picking up on the series after the long break. For them its a new series but for us "old 'uns" it still has the continuity back to the old series. Personally I dont really care what they call it...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hardly think Matt Smith's Doctor standing in Stonehenge shouting at every alien that "has ever hated you" is the sign of a weak Doctor

Or the great "Never, ever put me in a trap" sequence

Or the way he speaks to the Daleks in Asylum, with power and strength: "Make them remember you"

Feels like the same Doctor to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As you know it IS fan opinion that counts. And post Eccleston Doctors ARE weak.

But if you don't believe that maybe you can agree with this.... It is time for a new companion because Amy is EXTREMELY annoying. Even Rory treats her like the Bimbo she is.
  • Options
    dgembadgembadgembadgemba Posts: 18,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As you know it IS fan opinion that counts. And post Eccleston Doctors ARE weak.

But if you don't believe that maybe you can agree with this.... It is time for a new companion because Amy is EXTREMELY annoying. Even Rory treats her like the Bimbo she is.

It is fan opinion that counts, but yours is just one of HUNDREDS of fan opinions.

I can SEE why some people have taken a dislike to Amy BUT again, do not confuse FACTS with OPINION.

I'd be interested to see some EVIDENCE to support the OPINION that she is a "bimbo" or where Rory treats her as one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is fan opinion that counts, but yours is just one of HUNDREDS of fan opinions.

I can SEE why some people have taken a dislike to Amy BUT again, do not confuse FACTS with OPINION.

I'd be interested to see some EVIDENCE to support the OPINION that she is a "bimbo" or where Rory treats her as one.

OK Here's one. Shooting that gun off like a loon in A Town Called Mercy. Rory telling her before hand to just let the Doctor do his job of protecting.

Maybe you all are confusing my wording of weaker Doctors post Eccleston with "manly bravado." By weaker I mean less decisive, using less inbuilt intellect. He seems to be becoming more and more human and LESS Time Lord. JMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK Here's one. Shooting that gun off like a loon in A Town Called Mercy. Rory telling her before hand to just let the Doctor do his job of protecting.

Personally, I do not see those as "evidence" at all.
    Maybe you all are confusing my wording of weaker Doctors post Eccleston with "manly bravado." By weaker I mean less decisive, using less inbuilt intellect. He seems to be becoming more and more human and LESS Time Lord. JMO.

As for the above. I was not "confusing" anything. I did not take exception to your statement. it was the dressing it up as a fact that prompted me to post.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally Posted by DetectiveBea View Post
    [QUOTE=OK Here's one. Shooting that gun off like a loon in A Town Called Mercy. Rory telling her before hand to just let the Doctor do his job of protecting.[/QUOTE]
    Personally, I do not see those as "evidence" at all.

Why didn't Amy just let the Doctor make his own decision. He ended up doing that anyway. WHY does he need a Mommie looking after him? Where are the days when The Doctor saved the day as a Time Lord without having to bumble around like a less intellectual human? Lord knows UNIT wouldn't need him now. Pertwee's Doctor NEVER needed a human Mommie to tell him WHAT to do!:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally Posted by DetectiveBea View Post

Why didn't Amy just let the Doctor make his own decision. He ended up doing that anyway. WHY does he need a Mommie looking after him? Where are the days when The Doctor saved the day as a Time Lord without having to bumble around like a less intellectual human? Lord knows UNIT wouldn't need him now. Pertwee's Doctor NEVER needed a human Mommie to tell him WHAT to do!:rolleyes:

Amy is no different to Sarah Jane in that respect though. she often stood up to the "bumbling"

i fail to see the difference
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amy is no different to Sarah Jane in that respect though. she often stood up to the "bumbling"

i fail to see the difference

Sarah Jane respected The Doctor enough to believe that he could make his own decisions and didn't need a Mother. At least she let him make his decisions first. If she didn't like it she'd complain afterwards or she'd rebelliously go off on her own. I'm all for a strong companion but to me the awe that I had of Doctor Who as a child was that HE was so strong in his intellect and could outwit ANY foe with it.
  • Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    Sarah Jane respected The Doctor enough to believe that he could make his own decisions and didn't need a Mother. At least she let him make his decisions first. If she didn't like it she'd complain afterwards or she'd rebelliously go off on her own. I'm all for a strong companion but to me the awe that I had of Doctor Who as a child was that HE was so strong in his intellect and could outwit ANY foe with it.

Good old FIRST Doctor. Outwitting THAT injured caveman by trying to SMASH his head in with a rock. Lucky that his COMPANIONS didn't say anything. No...WAIT!

And poor old Third DOCTOR. Nicking stuff FROM giant spider planets. That turned OUT well for him.

How VERY boring it is FOR the Doctor to be beyond QUESTION. The fourth DOCTOR himself was a bit of a Dick, roaming the galaxy destroying stuff to make A KEY for the black guardian.

Any VICTIMS of the Daleks want to applaud him for his strong character?
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »

You got to use it at last! I did that just for you, CD93. *hugs*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    Good old FIRST Doctor. Outwitting THAT injured caveman by trying to SMASH his head in with a rock. Lucky that his COMPANIONS didn't say anything. No...WAIT!

And poor old Third DOCTOR. Nicking stuff FROM giant spider planets. That turned OUT well for him.

How VERY boring it is FOR the Doctor to be beyond QUESTION. The fourth DOCTOR himself was a bit of a Dick, roaming the galaxy destroying stuff to make A KEY for the black guardian.

Any VICTIMS of the Daleks want to applaud him for his strong character?

Nebo likes "The Companions and That Doctor Guy Show." :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nebo likes "The Companions and That Doctor Guy Show." :p

They should have called it "Ian"

:D
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I am so tired of The Doctor having to be reminded that he doesn't kill. (I only just saw DW Season 7 Episode 3 so don't spoil me on episode 4.) The fourth Doctor, Tom Baker's Doctor didn't need his bimbo companion (Sorry but Amy is a bimbo IMO) helping him to make ethical decisions. Tom Baker's Doctor would NEVER threaten to shoot someone or push someone in the line of fire.

I could go on but I am sure that I will already be lambasted by Tennant groupie girls.

Doesn't that negate ALL the prior Doctor Who's and seasons? Oh well, they are rewriting Doctor Who and overlooking history so why NOT???:mad:

Any point you might have had went down the tubes with that condescending remark.

I love Classic Series but times have changed and the companions reflect that in some ways with the way they're written.
  • Options
    steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank god the rose/doctor romance is gone but to be fair it should of never been written in the first place.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Sure. In some episodes of the old days, the companions were completely and utterly useless and had no purpose other than to be captured. And the Doctor barrelled from one situation to another with no real reason other than to advance the plot. And most of the time the events were unfolding around him and he really had no control over them.

If that's what you want, there are DVDs. The modern audience can expect a little more thoughtfulness, a little more dramatic conflict, a little more reason for the Doctor to be travelling with companions, and a little fallibility. In all other respects, he's pretty much the same as he's always been.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steven1977 wrote: »
    Thank god the rose/doctor romance is gone but to be fair it should of never been written in the first place.

LOL Shhhhhhhhh! We're supposed to act like it never happened!:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sure. In some episodes of the old days, the companions were completely and utterly useless and had no purpose other than to be captured. And the Doctor barrelled from one situation to another with no real reason other than to advance the plot. And most of the time the events were unfolding around him and he really had no control over them.

If that's what you want, there are DVDs. The modern audience can expect a little more thoughtfulness, a little more dramatic conflict, a little more reason for the Doctor to be travelling with companions, and a little fallibility. In all other respects, he's pretty much the same as he's always been.

LOL I'm an ANTIQUE!:p I must be worth more now!:p