ONE Anniversary Special - Straight From The BBC

Comments

• Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    stcoop wrote: »
    Congrats Moffat Believers for the predictable responses.

It's going to be an interesting day when people finally have to accept that 2013 will consist of the second half of Series 7, an Anniversary Special and a Christmas Special

But even that will be more episodes than what we've got in 2012:D
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was Moffat in August 2011:
    “I’ve got various plans, but all I can say emphatically is it will be huge,” says Moffat. “It won’t be just one thing…. We’ll be doing lots of stuff. The plans are quite extensive, and changing all the time. Oh my God, we will hit that year very, very hard indeed.”

Now, this new press release refers to 'the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special' (though not in a direct quote from Cohen) in the narrow context of 'Event Drama'. This doesn't exclude the possibility of a documentary, a spoof, a chat-show-style celebration, something animated or even a showing of newly-recovered classic episodes. And we know it doesn't exclude the Gatiss docudrama, because that's already in the works.

So I'm in agreement with this:
    CD93 wrote: »
    To trim the discussion down.

We still know nothing.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    stcoop wrote: »
    If you don't accept the word of the Controller of BBC1 (backed up by Matt Smith) who would you accept? Moffat? Mr. "I chose to move the series to the Autumn so it would show on dark nights where it belongs"?

I love your snarky comments stcoop. I also love your naiivity.

The BBC don't fix their schedules 100% a year in advance. To quote Moffat, the plans are changing all the time. We KNOW that the DW team will be filming virtually all next year, this was confirmed by Caroline Skinner back in April, so anything is possible. For me this either means series 8 spring 2014, OR a couple more specials, with series 8 in autumn 2014. Either way I am excited cos all I want is new DW.

And no matter how it happens the anniversary will be epic. DW looks like it will permeate most program formats next year, and IMO that's just as good as loads of specials anyway. I cant wait for the docu drama and the anniversary special and anything else that comes our way.
    Forum Member
    Also stcoop, Cohen doesn't say anything about the 50th, single or plural. Read the article again. The quotation is the paragraph before the "Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special" is mentioned. That is the reporter's discretion, not a Cohen quote.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But what evidence is there that it will be 'epic'? I hate to sound like a stuck record but if you really think its going to be blanket coverage then prepare to be disappointed. And beyond the show itself I am only fussed about the Gatiss drama and hopefully a decent documentary. I'm not overly enthused about DW themed Cash in the Attic or the odd item on Blue Peter and Eastenders characters paying lip service. Which is more than likely what we will get. Another reason why someone needs to gag Moffat and leave the PR to the people that know how to do it. He Is a masterful writer but spouts a lot of drivel about the show that gets increasingly irksome, dishonest and insincere.
    Forum Member
    But what evidence is there that it will be 'epic'? I hate to sound like a stuck record but if you really think its going to be blanket coverage then prepare to be disappointed. And beyond the show itself I am only fussed about the Gatiss drama and hopefully a decent documentary. I'm not overly enthused about DW themed Cash in the Attic or the odd item on Blue Peter and Eastenders characters paying lip service. Which is more than likely what we will get. Another reason why someone needs to gag Moffat and leave the PR to the people that know how to do it. He Is a masterful writer but spouts a lot of drivel about the show that gets increasingly irksome, dishonest and insincere.

I think its going to be epic because that is how I am going to react regardless of what we get. I like to think that I am not as cynical and snarky as some forum members I could care to mention.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't knock your enthusiasam at all! And sure no one else would. I think your attitude is the right one. You will enjoy what you get because its DW. Some people however...
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member

Oh for gawds sake. I will be an avid viewer of any Crap In The Loft or Blue Peter type special. Hurrah. What other show is such an important element of British culture that might warrant a fancy dress night from The One Show?

Moffat is a bit rubbish at PR. He really is. Doesn't matter. Glad he's stepping back from this type of thing. It doesn't seem to suit him. But he has made some very wonderful Doctor who.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »

Moffat is a bit rubbish at PR. He really is. Doesn't matter. Glad he's stepping back from this type of thing. It doesn't seem to suit him. But he has made some very wonderful Doctor who.

Creative people make lousy salesmen. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh god no! I love Moffat as a story teller and person. I just don't see why there's this weird expectation that as showrunner he has to take on this PT Barnun esque ringmaster role. Let him get on with writing. He's never seemed comfortable with the razzamatazz of selling the show and maybe that's inadvertently led to some silly statements.
    Forum Member
    Creative people make lousy salesmen. :D

Indeed they do.

Russell is probably one of those exceptions that prove the rule.
    Forum Member
    Indeed they do.

Russell is probably one of those exceptions that prove the rule.

Orson Welles is another.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orson Welles is another.

And Hitchcock.

Could just be a rubbish rule, actually. :D
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    Still no mention of series 8 (parts a or b) then. Surely a special is only special if it is in addition to what we normally get, not replacing it :(
    Forum Member
    And Hitchcock.

Could just be a rubbish rule, actually. :D

Oh no! Do you mean rules we all accept as scientific fact (evolution, age of the universe, blinovitch limitation) might be rubbish?
    Forum Member
    DiscoP wrote: »
    Still no mention of series 8 (parts a or b) then. Surely a special is only special if it is in addition to what we normally get, not replacing it :(
    All that PR nonsense seems to have been the nonsense several thought.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit disappointed to be honest. :(
    I'm really beginning to miss having 13 episodes of Doctor Who per year.

Oh well...I suppose not much can be done. :(:(
    Hopefully the special will be extra long and mind-bendingly good. :)

Now, of course there are those of you who would argue that we don't know how it will all pan out, and you may be right, but I still think this is about accurate. It seems to be increasingly difficult to produce a series per year now. Maybe things will get back to normal, or maybe they never will.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »

Matt said on the Steve Wright show last month that he'd just read Moffat's episode 1 of the next season.
  • digibladedigiblade Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    I think the bbc is only referring to the Gatiss drama, which I understood to be a 'Doctor Who' version of 'Road to Coronation St'.
    This is the only thing the BBC have previously confirmed.
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In terms of showing respect to the entire history of the show I feel safe in predicting: Trust The Moff.

Yeah, if you don't mind him rewriting the history so that Time Lords can change sexes when they regenerate and that all it takes to create a Time Lord is that two humans have sex in the Tardis.

"Trust the Moff" my derriere.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theophile wrote: »
    Yeah, if you don't mind him rewriting the history so that Time Lords can change sexes when they regenerate

Genuine question; when was it stated that this wasn't possible?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Genuine question; when was it stated that this wasn't possible?

Nowhere. However, in the prior 40+ years of the show, you figure that it would have been mentioned _somewhere_ along the way. Just because I have never told somebody in casual conversation that "It can't rain cows" doesn't mean that it can, it just means that it is too ludicrous a statement to mention.

The Doctor never said "Oh, I am still not a woman" the way that he said "Still not a Ginger".

We never heard a single mention of it previously; he invented it out of whole cloth (for the 1999 Comedy Special with Rowin Atkinson at first and then later for the actual show).
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,476
    Forum Member
    Wrong. There are at least 2 mentions. The Corsair. When 11 first appears he shrieks "I'm a girl!" when he feels his hair.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GDK wrote: »
    Wrong. There are at least 2 mentions. The Corsair. When 11 first appears he shrieks "I'm a girl!" when he feels his hair.

That is good information; let me look into this. :)

Edit: Ah, yes, I checked on The Corsair, this is when it seems to be introduced into the lore of the series, the making it up out of whole cloth that I mentioned. As to the "I'm a girl!", I will have to re-watch that episode to see.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    Theophile wrote: »
    Yeah, if you don't mind him rewriting the history so that Time Lords can change sexes when they regenerate and that all it takes to create a Time Lord is that two humans have sex in the Tardis.

"Trust the Moff" my derriere.

I must be missing something. The Doctor is currently a man and has always been portrayed as such (except for a comedy special). When was it said that he can change sex when he regenerates?