Options

what do I need?

Hello All

I am very new to Plasma Screens and do not know that much about them except that I need one!

I am wondering what the best package is for 2k or under and what needs to be included in this package - I also have loads of questions and do not trust any person whio woks in any shop anywhere and so I am asking for opinions here - any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Question 1.
What is the Hitachi 42PD5200PRO like - they say that it is High Definition TV but is the format compatable with how Sky intend to transmit?Is it a good screen? I also looked at Panasonic TH42PWD6BX but not high def and need extras with it? Any suggestions or a shortlist with pros and cons?

Question 2.
What is the difference betweenthe 42PD5000 and 42PD5200?

Question 3.
I will watch TV through Sky - I have been told that the best picture for TV is use Sky with S video lead [not skart] is this true?What is the best lead?

Question 4.
I will have tthree TVs [one Plasma screen in my play room and another normal TV in living room and a crap little TV in the bedroom]. With this setup I could pay Sky extra money for two boxes or simply use one. Now I now from current experience that I can but a little transmiter so that I can watch TV in two rooms but has to be the same channel - in my setup I have options:
a. One sky box and two transmitters to other two Ts
b. Two sky boxes and one transmit to upstairs
c. Three sky box - forget that one.

option b - I would have a sky box s video to plasma and a sky box to living room TV - good but more expensive

option a - cheaper sky bill but do I lose quality on the plasma if the signal is transmit from living room tv - of course I could plug sky box into plasma and transmit to living room but i could lose quality as well

does anyone know or have experience?

Question 5.
Although Sky is the main thing for me every now and then I would want to maybe watch a DVD or play PS2 through it - I am not too worried about chnging leads over as this would be occasional but it would be good to know options and pros and cons.......
Is ti easy to change leads on a wall mounted plasma?
Do I even need to change leads or can they all be permanently plugged in?
What are best leads to attach DVD and PS2

Question 6.
I ahve heard something about burn in - I know hopw to remove the score and clock from sky sports but other channels have permanent logos - can you get rid of these in sky setup etc...

There are a few questions there but any time spent will be greatly appreciated

I think you all in advance for any advice or experiences that you can share

Comments

• Options
    rjmachinrjmachin Posts: 2,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont know how much help this will be, but i will give it a go.

Question 1: I dont know if the PRO version of this model is any different, but the 5200 should support Sky High Definition. It certainly has the resolution, and has a DVI connection with HDCP version 1.0. Version 1.1 is the latest version i beleive. The difference is the number of audio channels it supports i think. Unfortunately, i cant say anything else about the pro's and con's of this model, or compare it with the other model you mentioned. It seems to be selling for about £1600-2000.

Question 2: I dont know, sorry.

Question 3: I dont know, i currently use Scart. The Sky HD will use a HDMI or DVI cable, which are a lot better than Scart or S-Video because they are digital (HDMI and DVI)

Question 4: I personally went for the Option C approach. I have a Sky+ box in the living room, and two extra boxes in the two bedrooms upstairs. It helped that they were the rooms against the wall that the Sky dish is on though. I would go for C again. I like the choice of watching different channels in different rooms, for £10 each extra per month.

Question 5: I dont know about plasmas, yet!. I plan on buying a new TV this time next year, after the Sky HD service has started. Ive not decided what type to buy yet though (Plasma, LCD, Rear Projection, Projector), but I will be asking for advice nearer to the time. I can tell you that I currently have my PS2 plugged in via Scart. You can buy Scart switching devices to make it easier.

Question 6: I dont think you can get rid of the channel logo's. These are put on by the broadcaster, so you have no control.

Hope this helped a bit
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Hello All

I am very new to Plasma Screens and do not know that much about them except that I need one!

I am wondering what the best package is for 2k or under and what needs to be included in this package - I also have loads of questions and do not trust any person whio woks in any shop anywhere and so I am asking for opinions here - any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Question 1.
    What is the Hitachi 42PD5200PRO like - they say that it is High Definition TV but is the format compatable with how Sky intend to transmit?Is it a good screen? I also looked at Panasonic TH42PWD6BX but not high def and need extras with it? Any suggestions or a shortlist with pros and cons?

Question 2.
    What is the difference betweenthe 42PD5000 and 42PD5200?

Question 3.
    I will watch TV through Sky - I have been told that the best picture for TV is use Sky with S video lead [not skart] is this true?What is the best lead?

Question 4.
    I will have tthree TVs [one Plasma screen in my play room and another normal TV in living room and a crap little TV in the bedroom]. With this setup I could pay Sky extra money for two boxes or simply use one. Now I now from current experience that I can but a little transmiter so that I can watch TV in two rooms but has to be the same channel - in my setup I have options:
    a. One sky box and two transmitters to other two Ts
    b. Two sky boxes and one transmit to upstairs
    c. Three sky box - forget that one.

option b - I would have a sky box s video to plasma and a sky box to living room TV - good but more expensive

option a - cheaper sky bill but do I lose quality on the plasma if the signal is transmit from living room tv - of course I could plug sky box into plasma and transmit to living room but i could lose quality as well

does anyone know or have experience?

Question 5.
    Although Sky is the main thing for me every now and then I would want to maybe watch a DVD or play PS2 through it - I am not too worried about chnging leads over as this would be occasional but it would be good to know options and pros and cons.......
    Is ti easy to change leads on a wall mounted plasma?
    Do I even need to change leads or can they all be permanently plugged in?
    What are best leads to attach DVD and PS2

Question 6.
    I ahve heard something about burn in - I know hopw to remove the score and clock from sky sports but other channels have permanent logos - can you get rid of these in sky setup etc...

There are a few questions there but any time spent will be greatly appreciated

I think you all in advance for any advice or experiences that you can share

Hello there,

My first comment would be your need for plasma - is this purely so you can hang on the wall? With 2K to spend, I would also consider DLP as well - much more TV for your money and is an answer to your Q6 - No problem with DLP TV and there is currently, no way to turn them off.

Question 1: The main difference between the Hitachi and the Panasonic is the connections. The Hitachi model has only one scart input but it has a higher resolution (1024 x 1024) than the Panasonic (852 x 480) - hence the HD-ready tag.

The Hitachi is capable of 720P - which is the intended broadcast mode that Europe has decided to transmit HD material in - so is more than capable.

Question 2: The 5200 is HD-ready, I don't believe the 5000 is.

Question 3: RGB Scart is the best picture you will get from Sky. Connect this straight to your TV with a good quality lead (Monster at Comet is a good buy, as is QED, IXOS, Chord etc) - good price is about 35-45 quid for a decent one.

Question 4: The only opinion I would give you is to ensure that your Sky box plugs into your plasma for best signal on your most expensive 'toy' !!

Question 5: Well, assuming you go for the 5200 model above, it depends on the connections your DVD player has. The TV has a DVI input - this is best quality picture signal you can get. HDMI is the same, but also carries sound. If your DVD has no DVI/HDMI output, then you can connect via Component to your TV and not have to swap leads at all.
    As for the PS2, you could get an S-Video to Component lead and connect via the second Component input that the 5200 has ... options .. options ... don'cha hate 'em :)

Question 6: See my first sentence :)

Good luck !

Cheers,
    Daz