The Pro Cycling Thread

Comments

• swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ps...........I think they've moved P-N forward a week in the calender over the last couple of years because it always used to coincide with the Cheltenham Festival which took priority for me...............:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    ps...........I think they've moved P-N forward a week in the calender over the last couple of years because it always used to coincide with the Cheltenham Festival which took priority for me...............:p

Everything's a week out this year because they had to fit in the Olympic races. The Tour de France starts in June, which feels so wrong :eek:
  • fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wiggins in yellow in the P-N, finished in leading group, after the bunch was split into pieces by strong winds.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/17261475
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great to see Wiggins leading ParisNice.
  • dofferdoffer Posts: 2,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could still argue that Martin put in the second best ride of the day.

You have to be joking!
  • cmq2cmq2 Posts: 2,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gerrans was fired up today trying to get one back on Valverde for squeezing him out of the similar stage at the TDU. The hill looked a little to long for many early season legs - probably not looking forward to finishing on Mende. Nuyens hit the ground really hard in Sunday's ITT: http://www.teamsaxobank.com/ny_news.asp?n_id=3516

Near solid cycling tomorrow afternoon with the start of Tirreno-Adriatico.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    cmq2 wrote: »
    Near solid cycling tomorrow afternoon with the start of Tirreno-Adriatico.

It's wall to wall.........Tour of taiwan next week (might just be highlights not live) then Tour of Catalonia the week after

And Milan-San remo in between

Harmon reporting that Cippo has said he wants to make a comeback and ride in this years Giro............:eek: ( set these words 'cat, hell, chance' into a common phrase or saying !)
  • dofferdoffer Posts: 2,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harmon reporting that Cippo has said he wants to make a comeback and ride in this years Giro............:eek: ( set these words 'cat, hell, chance' into a common phrase or saying !)

Ah, I didn't dream it after all :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's wall to wall.........Tour of taiwan next week (might just be highlights not live) then Tour of Catalonia the week after
    Looking at the weekend schedule,it's only 15min highlights from Taiwan: http://tv.eurosport.co.uk/

Saxobank will be there (their post-Contador future?) and the rest are smaller 'Continental' teams including the British Rapha team: http://tourdetaiwan.org.tw/cycling/TourdeTaiwan2012_eng/tour_team.php
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looking at the weekend schedule,it's only 15min highlights from Taiwan: http://tv.eurosport.co.uk/

Saxobank will be there (their post-Contador future?) and the rest are smaller 'Continental' teams including the British Rapha team: http://tourdetaiwan.org.tw/cycling/TourdeTaiwan2012_eng/tour_team.php

I think I'll give that one a miss then............hardly seems worth bothering for 15 minutes of highlights........
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky have some incredible depth to their squad, Another win for them today with EBH and Wiggins still leading GC. Impressive stuff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    borodave wrote: »
    Sky have some incredible depth to their squad, Another win for them today with EBH and Wiggins still leading GC. Impressive stuff.

......and of course Cav won yesterday !

I guess we're so blasé now that we don't even bother posting it up when Cav wins.............
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess we're so blasé now that we don't even bother posting it up when Cav wins.............
    Cavendish seems to have moved into a class of his own. He wins consistently and comfortably, often from unfavourable starting points for the sprint. The whole Sky team deliver more bangs for the buck than an expensive superteam like BMC.

Good to see the veteran Voigt still riding strongly. Only just eclipsed in the final few metres by Sanchez, twelve years younger than him.

Today's T-A stage is re-routed around the single major climb to eliminate a potentially treacherous descent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone beat Wiggins now?

Leipheimer's tweet about his 3rd crash was quickly deleted and QS are smoothing over the issue on their website. On Twitter, Thomas and Wiggins have expressed their views about Movistar's tactics.
    Forum Member
    Can anyone beat Wiggins now?

Leipheimer's tweet about his 3rd crash was quickly deleted and QS are smoothing over the issue on their website. On Twitter, Thomas and Wiggins have expressed their views about Movistar's tactics.

Wiggins is massive favourite, but Westra is still a threat. Very good TT rider, and the Mende stage showed he has climbing form.

The Leipheimer thing is unfortunate, but you can't really blame Movistar for trying to split the field when they did. The parcours this year has been very uninspiring... it was either try on that climb or not at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well done Brad !............wins the stage and the GC....

Westra put in a big one and it looked a bit iffy for Brad at one point but he rallied towards the finish to pip Westra's time
  • dean michaeldean michael Posts: 29,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great stage win Brad to win by two seconds after the effort by Vestra was true champion cycling:):):):):):)
    Forum Member
    Wiggins looks like the real deal this year, but that was the most boring edition of P-N I've seen since I started following cycling.
  • fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice win for Wiggins, bit dull overall but credit to Sky for neutralising the breaks I guess. Could of done without the cheat Valverde on the podium though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Fantastic result and achievement. Hope this is the start of even bigger things for 2012.

Is it too early to start BBC SPOTY nominations?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Brad is going for the Tour of Catalonia next week

It's live on Eurosport from Monday

Not sure if It's been on Eurosport recently but it always used to be about 10 years ago.............nice race, great scenery, mountains and Barcelona.............
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    pvteyes99 wrote: »
    Fantastic result and achievement. Hope this is the start of even bigger things for 2012.

Is it too early to start BBC SPOTY nominations?

I was fairly surprised to hear and see the race result on both BBC radio and on BBC TV news bulletins.............they don't normally bother outside of the Tour
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wiggins reckons he is around 95% of his potential in his blog: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2012/mar/12/paris-nice-tour-de-france-bradley-wiggins

The British Olympic committee have their lifetime ban under threat. CAS will decide whether Millar can ride at London: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2017728268_apolybritaindopinghearing.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    San Remo predictions?

Gotta be Cav for me, with Boonen and Sagan (?) to place high
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's on Saturday............easily forgotten amidst the footie, racing etc and everything else that's going on as Saturday unfolds

ES look to have pretty good coverage with over 3 hours scheduled..............

Cav to win !
This discussion has been closed.