How do i make a video file smaller to send in email?

JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
Forum Member
✭✭✭
i have a video file which is 54mb and will not send in email.
how do i make it smaller without ruining the quality too much, so i can send it in email?

Comments

• JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    any help asap appreciated :)
  • newda898newda898 Posts: 5,466
    Forum Member
    convert it, I find any video converter a nice one to use

http://www.filehippo.com/download_any_video_converter/

Try changing the resolution of the video and/or using a different codec - mp4 on h.264 is quite good.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You will never get a vid file compressed anywhere near small enough.

Upload it to a Cloud service and e-mail a link to the file.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Upload the file to Dropbox and share the link.
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JayPee86 wrote: »
    how do i make it smaller without ruining the quality too much, so i can send it in email?
    We will need to know what your email limit is first.

If you have to send it by email (rather than uploading to a file share site), you could zip it into smaller files & send them individually.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »

this.

dropbox, googledrive, skydrive, any online storage service
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    upload to somewhere like sendspace and email them the link. it you are cocerned about privacy, zip the file with a password with a long password such as "verylongpassword123!"
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you used outlook.com (replacement for hotmail) as your email service, this would all be fuss-free. You would attach it in the email, outlook.com would seamlessly upload it to SkyDrive and send your email recipient a SkyDrive link.
  • SightworthySightworthy Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Send files direct to other users (P2P) using your browser

This is the easiest way .

http://www.filesovermiles.com/
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Send files direct to other users (P2P) using your browser

This is the easiest way .

http://www.filesovermiles.com/

you are sure that is the easiest way?
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,527
    Forum Member
    JayPee86 wrote: »

If you tell us its length, and the dimensions in pixels of the frame (e.g. 720 x 576), I can have a shot at saying if it's compressible to say 5MB, which is usually OK for email (some are more). You could even resize it to make the frames smaller, or upload it to Youtube as a private video.

Also,the subject matter makes a big difference. If it's mostly static backgrounds (e.g. a TV performer or talking head) it will compress much better than say sports, with continuous movement all over the frame.

I assume it's at 25 fps?
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    you are sure that is the easiest way?

Seems like a worse way than Dropbox. As surely you both need to be online to use P2P.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You could try https://www.wetransfer.com/ if they are big files.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could try https://www.wetransfer.com/ if they are big files.

wetrans is good and does up to 2gb files, fast download speed and you can download more than one file at a time. only downside is files are removed after 14 days and you have to input send and receive email addresses to get the link (you can use the same email once). no account is required to be setup either

there are many alternatives, but sendspace is one of the quickest and easiest for up to 200mb files as no email address or account is required, so less mucking about and no waiting to receive an email with the links
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    unique wrote: »
    wetrans is good and does up to 2gb files, fast download speed and you can download more than one file at a time. only downside is files are removed after 14 days and you have to input send and receive email addresses to get the link (you can use the same email once). no account is required to be setup either

there are many alternatives, but sendspace is one of the quickest and easiest for up to 200mb files as no email address or account is required, so less mucking about and no waiting to receive an email with the links

When you say (you can use the same email once) does that mean i can't ever send another file to the same e-mail address again ?

jake.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you say (you can use the same email once) does that mean i can't ever send another file to the same e-mail address again ?

jake.

Jake, the thread is three years old.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You will never get a vid file compressed anywhere near small enough.

Upload it to a Cloud service and e-mail a link to the file.
    Gormond wrote: »

Best way to be honest, I use one drive to send a couple of videos from my camcorder to a mate. he don't have one drive, but just send a link.

Compressing a video file you just lose quality.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »

Oh my god, you are right and I replied.

Ok, find a excuse, I am on my chemo week and still having drugs pumped into me. That is my excuse :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

jake.

no, it was just that some file lockers required you to create an account or enter an email address to get a link. that had nothing to do with receiving/sending the file. wetransfer changed so you can click the chain on the page (or whatever it is) and get a link without entering an email address, then you just copy and paste the link into your email
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,527
    Forum Member
    neo_wales wrote: »

He knows. Just another dead-thread resurrector (or one who keeps returning).

Over and out.